Worries about fitting

GoldenMotor.com

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I have a Specialized Stumpjumper (no idea what year but I've had it for about five and my brother had it before then) that I would like to install one of the 69/80cc kits from GasBike.com onto. Though I worry about the thickness of the lower bar. What does the "universal" mount do differently than the standard clamp styles? How big is too big for the lower bars? The seat post looks a little thicker than most too.

I also have a 15 speed Roadmaster Mt. Fury I could use but I'd really much rather install a kit on the Specialized.

I'm pretty certain the kit would "fit" in the frame, but I'm just concerned the mounting brackets might be too small for the tubes.

Any thoughts or advice to offer?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Welcome to the forum.

There's thousands of ways to mount the engine. One you get started it'll be easy to see what you need to do.

Learn how to post pictures and we can help you mount anything.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Welcome to the forum.

There's thousands of ways to mount the engine. One you get started it'll be easy to see what you need to do.

Learn how to post pictures and we can help you mount anything.
Sure thing. I just didn't have any pictures of my bike handy. I'll take some when I get home and post them here.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Here's another question: How do I measure the tubes? Do I measure circumference or diameter? I can measure circumference using a cloth tape measure. But how does one measure diameter? Just eyeballing it dead on?

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Don't try to eyeball tubing diameters.
Everything is measured in diameter, not circumference.
You can pick up a set of calipers like these at Harborfreight or anyplace that sells handtools.
They measure inside diameters of tubing also.
6" Utility Caliper

Like the guys already said. There is a solution to mounting your engine to any bike out there.
The Specialized is absolutley the better way to go in my opinion.

Get building, summer is on the way !!!!!!!!!!

TiM

forrman

Mar 5, 2011
Canyon Country, CA
I have the same problem too: the lower frame tube on my mountain bike has a diameter greater than the diameter designed for the engine mount. I heated up the frame (using a propane torch) and hammered two dings to help the engine seat better, but the threaded bolts inside the block are still too short for bolting on the clamps. I tried looking for longer threaded shafts to replace the stock ones, but they are metric (close to a #10-24 standard thread), but I haven't found any that will work (I only have Lowes and Home Depot as my sources for bolts, buts, shafts, etc.) So that's where I'm stuck. So I either find the right metric shafts, re-thread the block to standard size thread and install standard shafts, or maybe find some long nuts that will extend the length of the block mounting shafts. Your thoughts? I have pictures I can post, once I figure out how and where to post them.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
if you can't measure the diameter, measure the circumference and divide it by 3.14, bike tubing usually is done in pretty standard sizing (1 inch, 3/4 inch and such) so with a little math you can get close enough to what it is and make a reasonable assumption.

the universal mount is basically just a big U bolt, you use a mounting plate, mount it to the standard mounts, and then mount the U-clamp to the plate. thats how mine worked anyways (i didn't use it in the end though).

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
OK, I borrowed a digital caliper and took some measurements from my bike. Being digital, it gave me some really specific measurements. My seat post is 1 25/64" (see what I mean?) Down tube is 1 3/4". And I
m not sure what the third tube is called, the one you rack yourself on when you stop too fast, is 1 13/32".

I also measured the bike from the center of the crank to where the seat post stops and measured 19".

No pictures yet but it looks exactly like this.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
My bike is almost exactly like that, but in silver. It will fit fine, except I had to mount the carb a little to the side. I used an adapter as shown in matthurd's post. It works great and I have about 150 miles on that build so far.

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota
Just get online, and buy a universal setfrom sbp.com theyy have the best ones to use for that size tube. Mine is the same way. And I have to say one thing about Mr. Forrman!. Yoy should be taken off the streets for destroying your frame!. You should never compermize the strenght of your frame buy doing that!.. You should get another bike now, before you get hurt by it folding on you. (I wouldn't want to be behind you when that happens.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
I have the same problem too: the lower frame tube on my mountain bike has a diameter greater than the diameter designed for the engine mount. I heated up the frame (using a propane torch) and hammered two dings to help the engine seat better, but the threaded bolts inside the block are still too short for bolting on the clamps. I tried looking for longer threaded shafts to replace the stock ones, but they are metric (close to a #10-24 standard thread), but I haven't found any that will work (I only have Lowes and Home Depot as my sources for bolts, buts, shafts, etc.) So that's where I'm stuck. So I either find the right metric shafts, re-thread the block to standard size thread and install standard shafts, or maybe find some long nuts that will extend the length of the block mounting shafts. Your thoughts? I have pictures I can post, once I figure out how and where to post them.
dude! go to allen bolt in burbank...all the hardware you need

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Where can I get the universal mount from a reliable vendor?
mine came from kingsmotorbikes, and in reality it's a pretty simple part and imo there isn't really much that can go wrong, so if you like the style of the one i showed you (there is 2 U bolts btw, just didn't know where the second one was off hand), go ahead and order from them.