If I go without pedals, am I more likely to get in trouble in Texas?

GoldenMotor.com

chriswf

Apr 16, 2011
Plano, Texas
I have an old GT Dyno frame I'm working on right now.
It has NO crank at all. Can't find one... Or just don't know where to look even.

Anyway, I live in Texas, going with the 2.5 hp engine. Do I need pedals? Or am I more likely to get a ticket without pedals?

As in, it'd make it more "moped" like.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You will get ticketed without pedals. Maybe you can buy a bike cheap at a yard sale and use the cranks from it.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
mopeds have pedals, scooters do not, with out pedals you're considered a scooter and would in most states fall under the laws of a motor scooter. which is a whole lot harder to pass as.

i'm not from texas but an idea of the concept of a motorized bicycle or moped says that no pedals is a bad idea, as far as your bike nearly any one piece style crank should fit if its the bike i'm thinking of.

chriswf

Apr 16, 2011
Plano, Texas
mopeds have pedals, scooters do not, with out pedals you're considered a scooter and would in most states fall under the laws of a motor scooter. which is a whole lot harder to pass as.

i'm not from texas but an idea of the concept of a motorized bicycle or moped says that no pedals is a bad idea, as far as your bike nearly any one piece style crank should fit if its the bike i'm thinking of.
Well I got a Huffy for free from someone. Couldn't use it's crank. It wasn't as wide as my crank's hub.

I guess I'll check craigslist?

Damraider

Mar 12, 2011
hayward
Hello ,I just built a Dyno Mooneyes bike and used a SBP shiftkit so I used their crank set-up . I could sell you the complete crank, pedals and bearings for $30.00 shipped if they will work for you .

Thanks,

Steve