Where do I start powering my bike?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
1: Tanaka didn't make the bikebug engine, Sears did. 2: I have heard of in-frame engines being mounted rack-style. What I imagine it being like is pretty much this, although I could be wrong. Even if I am wrong, it could probably work this way. You would need whatever hardware is necessary to mount a friction drive engine. You would also need The chopper mounting plate used to mount in frame engines on chopper bicycles. You would have to be very skilled or very lucky to get this right, because you probably only get one shot. if you can figure out how to put everything together so that the chain lines up correctly, you could weld the chopper mounting plate to the friction drive mounting hardware, then just bolt the engine on and attach the friction mounting hardware to the frame of the bike. or, you could just drill through and bolt the mounting plates together. probably better this way, because if you mess up, you can just drill in a different spot until you get everything lined up correctly.

Shavuotis

Apr 12, 2011
Kansas
I am fairly new to the motorized bicycle world. I am currently on my second kit for my beach cruiser. My first kit was a Wilderness 500 watt 36v 12ah kit. It ran fine but only lasted about 8 months. I am currently running a 600 watt 36v 12ah kit from ampedbikes and it is very nice. It scoots my Schwinn beach cruiser along at around 22-25 mph and has performed very smoothly over the last couple of months that I have owned it. I am interested in adding a gas motor to my bike. My electric front hub motor and battery weigh only around 21lbs. and I only weigh 170lbs. So, I figure an extra 20-25lbs wouldn't matter much and it would not only make my bike versatile but also unique. The laws here in my home state are fairly open as I can have a motor on my bike up to 130cc without having to classify it as a moped. I don't know much about bicycle engines and would like to know opinions and suggestions on a good, reliable motor kit that would move the extra weight of the electric kit along with myself at around 22-25mph. I would like to find a four stroke 80cc kit ideally, but haven't the foggiest idea where or who to talk to. Any input would be appreciated.