CA Police say my motor bike cannot be made legal.

GoldenMotor.com

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
Today I saw a story about New Jersey is considering a law requiring all pedal bikes to have a license plate. They claim that the elderly are getting hit by cyclist's and not stopping after having injured someone. The cost of the license plates will be $10 a year and a $100 fine if not complying with the law. I hope this law does not become a reality because I live in NY and if Jersey passes this law it won't be to far down the road and we will adopt the same.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
when i was younger, i remember having to get my bicycle licensed. the cops had a program where they came to your school and had a little safety course.

over the years, it kinda fell under the radar, but most states have laws about bicycle licenses on the books, they just aren't enforced.

it also helped if your bike was stolen.

in Huntington Beach, Ca, the year after the OP Pro riot on labor day, 1986, the cops used the normally un-enforced (by them) and completely ignored (by us) bike license law to stop anyone they chose, impound their bikes, and take people to jail for drunk in public.

at first, in order to get your bike back, you needed to show some kind of proof it was yours, at the very least a picture of you riding it.

after awhile, you could just wander through the impound and pick out any bike you wanted and say it was yours.

if you run down an elderly person on your bicycle, i don't think they're gonna react fast enough to see (and memorize) your license plate, anyway.