99cc rack mount 3 speed spoke drive MTB

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Silverbear have you thought about threading the other end of the spokes instead of bending them. There is a die out there to thread spokes. Or maybe lace it with heavy wire. Good luck with selling the firewood. I rave a big red oak down that needs to be blocked and split. Too much to do and so little time.
Elmo

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Too much to do, too little time and not enough energy either. I think I may not have had enough hook where I cut off the spokes, so will make replacements with more hook and dab those with paint to identify them. Plus, I will use JBWeld on the threads and I'm buying the correct spoke wrench for these oversize spokes to get them good and tight in the first place. Like so many things I do, by the time I've finished doing it I have a pretty good idea of how to go about it. It's bumbling around up to that point that's the problem.

The heavier the bike and rider and the more powerful the engine the greater the stress on these spokes rubbing up against the tread. Being the critical point of engagement, they deserve special focus I think. Live & learn.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I haven't lost any yet but then Im only making maybe 1.5hp and not much torque. I used smaller gauge spokes which allowed an easy bend and a decent amount of hook over. I would tension them as tight as possible(watch out for deflecting the spoke flange) to cut the flexing to a minimum.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The spokes are so stiff I don't think there is much distortion. I'll experiment with replacement spokes for the missing ones, giving them more hook, epoxy on the threads and a snug tightening. Also a dab of paint to identify them to see if they are "permanent" or also going missing. I have a feeling that with the right attention the spokes will stop going AWOL. I noticed today some wear on the tire and am wondering if a more aggressive tread would be better than what I bought.

Still a lot of fun to ride. This afternoon the dog got a cheap thrill while we were cruising down Bear Head Rd. toward the state park. A black bear was crossing the road on a diagonal, coming our way. I slowed to a stop, letting the engine drop to an idle to see what was going to happen. Mukwaa (bear) stopped, too, trying to figure out with near sighted eyes just what the heck we were. Then Miss Mooshie let loose with a fury of barking and I was afraid she might get out of her trailer to give chase which would not have ended well. I turned the bike around, gave it gas and got out of there. Cheap thrills on me motorbike.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I thought I'd give a little update on this build. With a move to town and the selling off of my firewood supply... along with the suspension of Motorbicycle Summer Camp For Boys Who Never Grew Up... there has been precious little time for building and not as much as I'd like for riding. So, this odd build has been the summer rider and has racked up a good many miles.

No more issues with losing spokes at the drive hub. Having enough "hook" at the cut off end and lock tite in the threaded nipple has ended the problem. I did notice a fair amount of wear at the rear tire and changed to a tire with much more aggressive "nubs" in the tread pattern. Much improved, with no slippage at all. I've gotten used to shifting and definitely use the gears while going from a dead stop to cruising speed. On logging trails I can ride along in first gear at the equivalent of a brisk walk and at full throttle in third gear I believe it reaches into the low 30's on a flat. Long, steep hills which tax the engine are easily accommodated with a bit of pedal assist using the MTB's gear ring. I rarely pedal at all and when it is called for it is nothing to raise a sweat.

The engine starts easily, usually with one pull, and the drive system appears to be bullet proof. Most of the time I'm pulling the kiddy trailer with Aaniimoosh The Wonder Dog in tow. I'll share a few pictures in the near future now that the bike is in town for the most part. The dog has managed to work her head through a tear in the mesh fabric cover at the front of the trailer so she does get a lot of looks as we ride by... like one of Pavlov's experiments gone awry. Ha!

I consider this build a great success.
SB

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Sounds as if you have the bugs worked out sb. Congratulations! From the A Ream "I love it when a plan comes together". Hope you have plenty of time to enjoy the bike.
Elmo

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Glad to hear its working well SB. Figured maybe the bike had wound up in the corner where " what seemed like good ideas" go. The more "knobish" the tread is the better. The Maytag spoke drive is waiting on cooler weather for riding as she runs a bit warm in hotter weather(she moves to slowly to generate much cooling). Still gathering stuff for the water cooled mod.
So you are the beta tester and I'm glad its working well for you! Have fun!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So far so good with the spoke ends bent into a hook, but I'm open to whatever works. Got some riding in today. Already feels like fall in my part of the world with low 40's the past few nights. Hopefully there will be lots of Indian summer days to come, perfect for riding a motor bike. I look forward to the Maytag modifications...
SB