Cable lube

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am fixing a bike i got at a garage sale for my wife,was having trouble feeding cables through the housings. Got to thinking how slippery Dielectric grease is so put a little on the cable. Boy did the babby slip right in what a difference. It will repels moister as well going to try some on the chain just for the fun of it. Must be silicone based sure is slippery............Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good suggestion, Curt. Let us know how it works after some miles.
It's surprisning how many different products folks discover that works well on our bikes. Thanks for sharing your discovery.

I know the Opti-2 haters will bash me but I've found that it works great for a cable and chain lube. A little pricy for those uses but it only takes a few drops.

Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just a note - if used as cable lube, any of the thicker lubricants such as the assorted types of greases & even many oils can result in some amount of cable drag, depending on it's viscosity. Normally not an issue it has some advantages for the seasonal rider, yet if exposed to the sub-zero temperatures of winter use the cable can actually be rendered effectively nonfunctional.

..ofc water in the housing is even worse, it's a tough road sometimes lol ;)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Good suggestion, Curt. Let us know how it works after some miles.
It's surprisning how many different products folks discover that works well on our bikes. Thanks for sharing your discovery.

I know the Opti-2 haters will bash me but I've found that it works great for a cable and chain lube. A little pricy for those uses but it only takes a few drops.

Tom
The reasion i happen to think about it: i was repairing my mower deck,taking the pulley off it was rusty and had to use a puller Anti-zes don't seem to to keep the moister out. ( my tractor sets in a pole barn ) So i thought i would try Dielectric grease. I had been thinking about it for a while as every time i use it my hands are slipery and it takes a few washings to get it off.
I know it works good on all electrical conections and use it a lot on my trailer plugs and battery post.................Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
just over two weeks and had to take the mower deck apart,boy did that pulley come off easy. Never sanded it or nothing but put the dielectric grease on and it slipped right off by hand.Had to put a new timing belt on it has timed blades $67..........Curt

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If the dielectric grease is same as thermal compound, and I am not sure it is, but if it is under a period of time it dries out.

I have retired my Win XP Pentium 4 processor PC from being used on the internet, but at one time I cleaned the dust out and removed the processor from the heat sink and cpu fan.

The heat sink was held on quite fast to the cpu top with what else, thermal compound grease. I think heat and a length of time it gets gummy.

I have resorted to using dry lock ease powder graphite. I empty a small pile in a cloth and run the cable through the graphite a few times and it sticks to it.

I then put the cable into the cover and pull it out to re-coat the cable again, as the cable coating of graphite gives up some of the graphite coating to the inside of the cover.

Once more of this process and it is done. Cold or heat it seems to be doing well for me.

I even used it on the recoil starter rope. It is a bit messy for that application as you might handle the cord during a repair, but it washes off easy.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Another use for dielectric, was putting some water cooling hoses back on my EFI pickup. put a little dielectric on the end of the tubes and hoses sliped right on,so easy.
I would also recamend it for plug wire ends.............Curt