windows 10

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
finally updated my windows 7 to windows 10. took like 5 hours and it works so guess i am happy, do i see any difference? to be honest no, i am missing something?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Was that the free offer from MS? I signed up and have Win 7. I have an extra HDD so I'll keep a copy of my Win 7 backed up should I decide to have any issues with Win 10.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
yes it was free and free is me, i think few things are loading faster but who knows. Everything works and that was my main concern

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
And I'm still trying to master Windows 95.

Tom
The PC that I had Win95 had a serial port with DB9 conn. Without that I had a problem till I found a USB to Serial converter that worked on more than just a mouse. Refering to a kit robot. For 7 dollars I got 3 old 486 processor type laptops that had that old DB9 connector. No converter needed on those old beasts with Win 3.1 running. Color screen also!

MT

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm shopping for a new computer. Everything I see is all USB port connections. So if I get a new machine does this mean I have to replace all my old peripherals, printer, scanner, monitor, which have serial port connectors, and still work perfectly? And what's best? A desk top or the new all-in-one systems?

I think I can adapt to, learn, a new operating system but I hate having to replace all my other stuff just to make Bill Gates happy.

I feel like a guy driving a model 'T' into a Ford dealership expecting to get a tune up.

Tom

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
just get adapters for your serial ports to usb. You are going to love the speed especially if you do anything with pictures. editing so much nicer. On my 5th day since upgraded and have not had to reboot or restart or anything else, liking windows 10 more and more

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I don't know if the trouble I had to get my robot to work communicating over a serial to USB converter of at least 2 I tried before finding a converter I was told I should use. This was one with a FTDI chip in it.

What ever it is that made it work while others did not, I'm not all too knowldgable about it, but others had said the same. There is the thing called drivers for the converter and they come with or you can download newer ones from FTDI and I may have done that too.

If you have a different chip in the USB to Serial Converter that you already have, and it does not work right, updating drivers is always a good step to try before you buy another converter.

This one I did not buy at mouser, but somewhere else, forgot where. It is the same that I spent maybe 5 years ago 40 dollars for and it worked right with my robot kit. Now prices have come down, I see Mouser selling for 30 dollars.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...jEH0vOaFsw==&gclid=CIic46vKqMoCFVaTfgodnPsJsw

http://shop.clickandbuild.com/cnb/s...catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=84

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm

http://www.robotshop.com/forum/serial-usb-to-serial-port-troubleshooting-t4702

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
My brother told me not to do it. He is a computer software engineer. He told me that windows 10 forces you to give total access and license to Microsoft of everything that uses a Microsoft product to run on your computer, which is pretty much everything that runs on windows 10 operating system. I'm never going to do it, too much spying going on.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're on the Internet you're already being "spied" on. Someone is watching and ready to send you advertising for anything and everything you look at on the Internet. Microsoft isn't unique in that respect. Privacy has gone the way of common sense.

Want privacy? Unplug your computer/phone/ doorbell and take down your mail box. Pull the shades and sneak out after dark to put your trash out. :)

Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
2-Door, I'm almost up to speed on your privacy solution. Can't hear the phone or doorbell, all I get in the mail is bills, don't care if the neighbors see me walking around naked, and I do put the trash out about 5:30 an when I take the dog for a walk. I'm nearly there!

Dan

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I agree that privacy is now history on the net, but this is more than just a question of privacy. Under the new terms if you create something using Excel, it is now the property of Microsoft because you used Microsoft software to create it. As I understand it, this is a new thing they stuck in the Windows 10 licensing agreement and, yes, they made windows 10 easier to hack your files and to record your every key stroke.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
My brother told me not to do it.
I gotta agree with you the Windows 7 is Micro's Hallmark best IMHO. Gotta say tho windows 10 run pretty chipper this comp I am on zings away!

I agree that privacy is now history on the net.

The privacy thing not cool IMO. LOL

I use windows for their nitch on propitiatory software at home. I am no commercial tech.

As for floating a boat in all our stormy weather Linux is still king here. Makes a old comp run fast.. A fast comp well...yeah sweet. IME on a costume comp that all my drivers fit perfect ATM Got very little work arounds in it if any.

With the windows 10 running as good as I have recently seen noted it?...is on same said comp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers
Theirs another chart just can't find it ATM.

Been something I am still paying attention to on Windows is there port and firewall arrangements. Can do good with a router fire wall etc. I use to have the home surveillance camera system running. That got me looking at ports back then.

Ports and the like can be a very powerful tool. Good tool.

I seen windows comps running in some big companies ran by some IT tech that look bullet proof. Employees never wreck them. From where I've been employed.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
We had a guy call in one time wanted us to replace his power supply cause he thought the government had it bugged...he lived up in Alaska. You don't want to put anything on your computer you wouldn't want the whole world to see. Not only that the cameras all over the place pretty much can watch you if they are just that interested in you. I like to antagonize them with propaganda LOL! Make em chase their tail like a dog. I do however like to use Linux when I can to avoid viruses and hacking that slows your computer down. Windows 10 does use much less resources but you do want to unpin stuff from the Android lookin interface to save bandwidth on stuff you don't use just right click on em and unpin the buggars.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do we have any members who run Microsoft Flight Simulator? In particular, FSX and Windows 10?

New computer with monster graphics capabilities and lots of bells and whistles. I've tried to install Flight Sim twice and it doesn't work. It works but has crashed the computer and many functions either don't work or work incorrectly. Jittery graphics and screen goes black and various other issues.

Microsoft says it's Dell's problem. Dell blames it on Gate's boys. Best Buy, where I bought the computer say's they'll replace the computer but I don't think the machine is the problem. Maybe that's my next step but I'm not optimistic it will help.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I honestly don't know why everyone bellyached about Vista........been using it for years (and years, and years) with no issues. I guess that I'm easily pleased........wait......