How Much oil is needed for Break in and run there after?

GoldenMotor.com
Every once in a while I get Questions about 2 stroke motors for bicycles from Amazon.com
And I get this one yesterday about how much oil is need after break in period of a 2 stroke china motor and when I sent in my answer I saw the answers from another source and had to post here
Q.1. Whats the oil to gas mixture i should use after i brake in thr engine
A. Great question! We are glad that you contacted us here at BikeBerry.com to help answer your concerns!
During break in - 16:1 - 1 gal is to 8 ounces of oil
After Break in - 20:1 - 1 gal gas is to 6.4 ounces of oil or you can run a little rich in oil so the engine can be lubricated enough to avoid too much heat.
Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns you may have, we work Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm bikeberry. Apparently Bikeberry is selling motors on Amazon.
* I poted this in 2 different Motorized Bike groups in Face book and had alot of heated discussion about it.
I myself I have used 40:1 with Opti2 From break in, Never had a problem.
I just can't imagine someone dumping 8 oz of oil in per gallon of gas.
And if you all think I'm full of it, Here's the link Look yourselves.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx214FY4VZXH5RZ/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B00LLLAOIK

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This subject has been discussed here countless times and everyone has an opinion. Try using out 'Search', type in "break In" or "Oil Mix" or Oil Ratio" and you'll have pages and pages to read about oils and how best to break in a new engine. The advice will run from one end of the spectrum to the other. You'll ultimately have to decide for yourself what works 'for you'.

Just one word regarding your oil ratio: Why are you running Opti-2 @ 40:1? You're wasting expensive oil and not doing your engine any favors. Mix it at the recommended ratio and I think you'll be pleased with the results. Other than that, just stand by because others will be posting with their advice and recommendations.

Tom

My 40:1 ratio is approx. 2 ounces per gallon, Even thought the directions on the bottle suggest 1.3 ounces per gallon, It was suggested to me to run 2 ounces from start up and on. so after the break in period I would run between 1.3 ounces and 2 ounces per gallon.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Too much oil is just as bad as not enough, just in a different way.
Break in with just about any 2t oil for air cooled engines (non-synthetic) 32:1.
There after 40:1, or with synthetics, use the recommended amount.

2 Door you missed the point, lol
I was trying to Show what Bikeberry had posted on how much oil to use for a break in "16:1" on one of there engines. and then they told people to use 20:1 there after. I was pointing out that I had never heard of anyone suggesting to use 8 ounces of pre-mix to 1 gallon before.
And if anyone did not be leave me that I had posted the link to the Amazon answers. where it shows bikeberry's own message.
I have never heard of anyone using 8 ounces on break in before.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry, I was misled by your thread title.
Nevertheless, that notorious 16:1 recommended mix ratio has been around for a long time. Probably as long as the Chinese have been importing the 2 stroke kits. Many new builders take the advice given in the kit instructions and do in fact use 8oz per gallon of fuel. Usually, if they are a member here they read enough to get them to change their mind. We can only guess how many 2 stroke owners are out there who do not join forums and do what their kit instructions tell them to do.

The general consensus is that the engine suppliers are covering their behinds and wanting to make sure the engine survives through their warranty period, if any. There is another theory that says that the 16:1 ratio is based on using standard 30W oil as opposed to a good quality oil formulated exclusively for 2 stroke engines. Who really knows? Suffice it to say that most experienced bike builders will advise against that much oil for several reasons.

Tom

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
When I was younger I thought 2 strokes were foul devils. Chainsaws, outboards, snowmobiles and dirtbikes were all smokey, plug fouling hard to start barstards. Then I discovered the joy of quality oils. First pull starts, low smoke. My KTM ran for years on the same plug. When I pulled the head off after 7 years and thousands of miles, it was clean.

It is the one on the left, just a touch of brown from overly rich. The one on the right is a 2001KTM SX motor I ran on the street for thousands of miles with fuel leaned out to perfection. The one in the center was a parts bike I bought, history unknown but I`d guess cheap oil.

Even though I know this, I bought my Grubee GT5A to go back to the basics and learn.
The manual says 18:1 break in then 25:1 to run. I was dripping oil out of the pipe and soon fouled the plug. Thanks to advice here, I switched to 40:1 and it seems to be surviving. I`ve pulled pulled it apart and all looks well so far. It had built up a thick cake of carbon from the 18:1 mix so I cleaned that off.

Starts easy now. Plug is looking better, tan like a 4 stroke, not black. Hardly any smoke, certainly not a trail of it or a smell. I`m happy so far with the 40:1

Thanks guys, Steve

Street legal KTM 125 EXC in 140kph, 300km range trim.

Last edited:

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
OK, so part of why I am into these simple engines is to re-test everything I think I know.
So after this discussion and posting those picts yesterday, I wondered "what is my cylinder head like?
So I tore it apart.

Well, running 40:1 and lean it had a thin dry soft layer of carbon over piston and head.
Much to my horror I also found scoring on my intake side. Exhaust was fine. What is that?
Checked the air filter, it was full of grit, so was the intake tract. Filter not working.
With cold dry temps here, it is dusty and this filter cannot handle it. Sucks.

Oh well, keep up with the testing. Today's top speed was 55kph (windy, -2c).
I pulled the cylinder off, saw the scoring, cursed, and smoothed out the transfers. 2hrs.
Took it for another run, 58kph. Geared up a mini gas bottle and ran it at 50:1, 57kph.
So I ran it at 32:1, 60.5kph. Relevant? Likely but maybe not. The oil might be sealing the scored rings.
Worth investigating. I ran out of light or I would have tried it back to 20:1 but I do know when I went from 20:1 to 40:1 I saw a performance and starting advantage.

Steve