What kind of 2-cycle oil do you use?

GoldenMotor.com

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
As I was looking for 2-cycle oils at O reilly's there wasn't much selection. I didn't want to be too picky and figured hey oil is oil so I ended up getting this cheap "MasterPro Synthetic Blend 2 Cycle oil".

Too bad they didn't have non-synthetic since I wanted to use that stuff for break in, oh well..

Anyway I was wondering what oil do yall use in your China Girls/Happy Times?

Last edited:

grathado

Sep 28, 2015
mississippi
i use husqvarna 2 stroke oil, i think its good quality and i like the smell of the exhaust lol can't explain why, not alot of smoke either

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I broke in my current engine with dino two stroke oil and then switched to full synthetic strawberry scented Ipone two stroke oil made in France. It was on sale at half price. When I run out of that stuff I'm going to try the Opti 2

The previous engine I broke in on the Ipone and used that exclusively for 3 years and lots of miles. The cylinder and rings looked great and the engine performed well. I expect to fire that engine up again and see how long I can make it last.

grathado

Sep 28, 2015
mississippi
ffv8 thank you so much for that link its very informative, its cool that i have a better idea about the inner workings of the little machine that makes me so much joy :D

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Everyone seems to have an opinion on oil right or wrong. So here goes mine. After break in I was running a 40:1 mix. I tried different carburetors, jets, needle settings, plugs (hot and cold) and oil all in various combinations but still had some 4 stroking somewhere in the RPM band. I then tried Opti-2 oil in the premix packs which I believe ends up to be a 71:1 mix when added to 1 gallon. After warm up it stopped 4 stroking idled better started better ran smoother and didn't leave anymore oil spots on the floor dripping from my muffler (from the 40:1 mix). It's been on the market for too long running too many motors for me to worry if the mix is harming my motor. I only have 300 mi on it so far, but the last 100 has been hiccup free. I won't go back.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Which is best? Ford or Chevy?
Same for oil. We currently have about 48,000 members here. Asking which oil is best will get you about 47,999 opinions.
Use what works for you.

Tom

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
This thread may have set a record for oil threads ---- longest without a nuclear meltdown!!

Great job, guys!!

:D

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
True, but there are good and poor oils.
Cheap 2-stroke mix will ruin your motor. Mixing it richer will not help.
Castor is wonderful oil but will varnish and carbon badly and doesn't mix well with others.
Synthetic is better than petroleum oil hands down, no exceptions, and you pay for it.
Marine oil is not suited for aircooled motors. It is made for lower temperatures.
Injector oil is thinner and not quite as good as true 50:1 pre-mix oil. It can be mixed 32:1.

These things are true and can be trusted.

Straight shooter Steve

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hey Chaz, I am with you on that Ipone strawberry stuff, LOVE IT!
So does everybody else on the trails, and at 40:1 there is no smoke, just strawberries forever!

I ran my KTM 7 years on the same piston and rings with that stuff.
Dropped it in a river and broke the rings or it would still be running on the same rings.

Steve

Steve's KTM 125 making it through deep water and hidden logs

Hey Steve, I do like the strawberries! Thanks for the input of your experience with that stuff. Unfortunately, I couldn't get access to the video link you posted.

ride on