Anyone good with photo shop

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I would like to find someone that could remove all of the background from a photo of one of my builds.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
2dr,
Thanks, I am looking to a clean picture of one of my older(but favorite builds).
I want to have it printed on a tee shirt. However, I do not want all the background clutter. I attempted to take a picture with a gray tarp behind it & then have it printed on a gray shirt. However the tarp still stood out way too much. I attempted to use a drawing program myself but it turned out to be a mess. Right now I am making some changes to the bike; that I want included in the picture. When completed I will take a picture & post it.

Any advise as how I should take the picture, Plain background?, Background color? ect.

This is the bike, that I am sure you are familiar, but not the one that i want photo shopped.

Thx Jim E,

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Russ,

The less cluttered the background the better. Your tarp idea should work well as long as the color is very close to your shirt color.

Motorcycles and bikes present a special problem when it comes to the spoked wheels. It can be done but is extremely time consuming. The photo you have above would be a real challenge because of the color and the ripples on the water.

What was the problem with your 'tarp' attempt? You said it "stood out". Was the color wrong? That is easily changed with Photo Shop. Was it shadows or uneven surface of the tarp? What specifically didn't work for you?

When you get the bike to where you want it for the shirt, let me know and get a photo to me here. I can erase down to one pixel at a time and clean up anything you want eliminated. Just keep in mind that the spokes against an unwanted background is the hard part. But I can do it and would like to for you.

Tom

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
If your program has the ability, and most of them have, you should be able to use a common bright blue tarp for a backdrop, take the photo, then (in the editing program) take a sample of the backdrop colour and then eliminate that colour from the photo. It's been years since I've done this and don't have any good photo editing program but it's not too difficult.

by the way, very nice bike you have there Russell

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The tarp does not seem to be uniform in color/light & texture. perhaps if I used sheetrock for the background? Painted sheetrock?

Here are some examples of some of my bikes with the tarp backdrop
(none of which I want use on my Tee Shirt Project)

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Russ,

I did this in about 20 minutes last night. Naturally I chose that photo :)
but it gives you an idea of what can be done. As you can see I didn't get into the rims and spokes for this test photo but just wanted you to see it and if it is what you have in mind.

Another suggestion for taking the photo would be to try an eliminate deep shadows of the bike against the background. That will require some work with lighting. Something else to watch is not to hide the lower edges of the tires with the tarp or whatever the bike is setting on.

Experiment and when you're ready we'll have a go at it.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
@dr, wow that looks great. I had spent a week last year with a photo editor program but came up empty. I soon learned that the wheels were a major problem.

When I get the bike back together and ready for pictures, I'll do the very best that I can with the background, lighting & shadows to make editing as easy as I can. Thanks agaiin, Jim E.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
2DR,
This is the picture I would like to get photo shoped. I tried to keep the background as plain as possiable.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Russ,
I'll be working on it over the next day or so and post it back here for you. It should be a fun project and you did good on the background.

Tom

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
!
Dan,
Wow that shirt looks great, very professional! I don't remember seeing your bike, however it looks great on the shirt. Looks like the real old time bike (1915-20). The horn & light make a good touch. Is there a link on motorbicycling.com? I'd like to see the detail. Please send your shirt size, I'm guessing Med/Lg. The wife & I are going out of state for a party, will be wearing that shirt. Bummer is that I'll be asked if that is one of my builds and will have to say no!
Thanks again!

Jim English (Russell)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jim,

Here is the finished project. Let me know if there's anything you'd like changed, improved, etc. I'm limited on the size of the photo that I can post here and if it isn't big enough there are alternatives.

I'd like to see your shirts when you get them done.

Tom

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Tom,
Wow, that looks great.* Will the bars in the background show up, as I copied the photo & the bars went with it.* Two questions , what size shirt do you wear and what color do you think would work best with this picture.* I'm thinking tan, Lt-gray, yellow or Lt-blue.* The only color I don't like is white. All other colors are still an option.

Thanks again

Jim English(Russell)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bars? I'll have to look at the photo again. On my screen there are no bars. I'll download the photo as I sent it and see what you mean. In Photoshop the background is all white or actually, blank.
I'll do it later. Dinner is on the table :)

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not sure what those 'bars' were, maybe another Windows 10 screw up. I think it's fixed now. Windows 10 doesn't like Photoshop. I had to transfer it to my old computer using good old reliable Windows XP. We can thank Microsoft, again.

Any of your shirt colors would look good. Don't worry about a shirt for me, Jim. I just want to see a picture of you and the lady wearing them :)

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Tom. looks great. Don't want to be a pain, could you look around the mirror? Not sure if that is a problem. Hope I'm not being APIA.
Thanks again.
JIM

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The trick to taking a product picture is:
1. Pick a background color NOT present on it like green or blue.
2. Make a uniform background including under it if possible.
3. Select your BG color as a mask to select the actual image.
4. Save it as transparent background .gif file.

That way your bike pics has no background color when printed, the shifts color is the background, very cool effect.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Phot looks great. It is dated 2-23, Tom you must have replaced the other. I'm going send it off for a test shirt. I'll get back to you when I recieve it.

Jim

Jim,
Let's try it again. It looks okay on the new monitor. Let me know.

Tom

Last edited: