Nice Bourbon

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
For the holidays;

Finished in port wine barrels. Angels wings on the back. Rich and flavorful and most important smooth.

Not too expensive ~$50 a bottle and well worth the splurge - :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I don't know the price, but the rich smokiness, a form of liquid heaven. The bottle is developing a fault though, more than a third seems to have disappeared.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Mike. B,

My niece and her boyfriend are here from Australia and he is a bourbon lover. They are getting what they can take back in Canada due to the prices in Australia. They can't go over the border to the U.S. and bring back a bottle each without spending 24 hours there and the motel and food costs would wipe out the savings.

He has purchased one bourbon that he always wanted to try here for $40. In Australia it is $120 a bottle.

A movie with popcorn and soda pop cost the two of them $85 Australian and I complain about the costs in Canada.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Ludwig,

Have you noticed the the hounds who produce such liquid gold have an annoying habit of placing to top of the bottle far to close to the bottom of the bottle?

I have mentioned this in letters on more than one occasion and have yet to receive a reply to the devious practice.

Steve.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Ludwig, I love the Laphroaig, and the Lagavulin, and the Ardbeg . Pretty much anything from Islay. But it is so expensive here and same shoddy bottle construction.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I remember Boones Farm as a summer treat.

Boones Farm apple wine. My buddies sister got us a couple of bottles (underage) and my buddy & I chugged them down listening to the stereo in his folks home. When the room started to spin we went outside and painted his driveway with vomit.

Cheap thrills!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I remember the first time I got drunk and the strange, rubbery, disconnected sensation my face had from the rest of me.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've had Laphroaig before. With the smokey peat taste, it's as "scotch" as scotch gets. But I've often reached for Talisker when I'm in the mood for something really smooth. That said, I haven't yet tried Angel's Envy. I plan to remedy that soon, after the endorsement here.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I can't do ethnicity, as a product of industrial Britain, I'm a complete mongrel. I just adore good quality booze.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Ethnically, I'm a rare case in America - a full-blooded German born here in the states. Both sides of the family from Bavaria. But I'm eclectic when it comes to booze. I'll drink almost anything from anywhere, if it seems good and I like it.
Don't ask me if I have a favorite. I've tried and liked so many things. The list of stuff I don't like might be shorter.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Tis New Years Eve and my girlfriend is coming over to celebrate. We will start off with a couple of Manhattans featuring the Angel's Envy as a partial ingredient along with Templeton and Bullet Ryes and some brie and crackers.

Dinner will be a sort of champagne brunch with spinach and cheese omelettes along with bagels with lox and lox schmear, capers and onions and some Chandon bubbly to wash it down. German chocolate cake for dessert.

Then perhaps a snifter of Courvoisier for the tolling of the bell.

Happy New Year!

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Mike B - sounds like a great recipe for a fun night.

My classic new year's dinner is Dungeness crab with some fresh baguette and a mean ceaser salad and a lime butter dip for the crab. A dry Reisling with dinner and then scotch whiskey for afters. And a few pale ales scattered thoughout the the evening.

happy new year

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Dungeness crab? I hope you are not getting them from Kent. There's a nuclear power station there. Admittedly you will have plenty of legs to go around.