It Can Wait!

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
This post is not really meant as a rant. It does have an entirely different purpose. But I'll start with a mild rant simply for the fun of it.

I'm an AT&T DSL subscriber. I have been for about three years now. And I'm underwhelmed.

At most times the service can be called mediocre. At somewhat irregular, but moderately frequent, times the service descends into 'poor' territory for a couple of days. All that might have been acceptable if it weren't for the premium price.

So I'm not a big fan of AT&T. But I do feel a bit better about them for their having put together this PSA. It should be required viewing for everyone.

http://www.slate.com/articles/video...stracted_driving_can_cause_car_accidents.html

And there's something kinda similar here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat..._documentary_from_one_second_to_the_next.html

I could go on. But these little films speak for themselves. Watch out. It hurts somewhat.

But if it helps people to realize that they ought to just slow down the pace a bit, then it'll be a good thing.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Aw jeez, don't get me started on my internet service... so called service that is.

And thanks for posting about the documentaries. I watched the Herzog one slowly as it trickled in. Start, stop start stop. But is was well worth it. I just sent the link to my brother in law and hope the message sinks in. I've given him plenty of warnings but that film just might do the trick, so thank you.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well, chaz, if it really does get your brother-in-law to re-think the matter, then I'll feel that posting was a good thing.

And I'll feel even better toward those no-goods at AT&T for having given me something to work with. I might even have to stop bad-mouthing them.

Did you notice the letter that the father of one set of victims sent to the guy who'd gotten them killed? Man....how in the world can anyone be that gracious?

I'm well-established as a nice guy and a forgiving soul. Yet that guy has me beat by much more than a mile. Now there's a real Christian. My hat's off to him.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yes, very good public service pieces that show just how easy is is to get into a wreck.

I just signed up with U-verse after having suffered the "slows" of DSL for years. I couldn't even get through youtube videos w/o freezing/pausing and even having to start from the beginning. It sucked. U-verse rocks, it made the internet "usable" again - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It was not expensive for "the bundle" I have AT&T cellular which is what made them start selling hard. Uverse starts at 3 MB/sec and how fast you can go depends on the level of service you want and (most important) how far your house is from the "street box" They run fiber to the box and from there to your house it's existing copper phone wires.

Here's my "before and after" story;

Before
DTV - $100/mo, extended basic and HD. No movies
Phone and DSL - $80/mo, long distance extra, 1 down and .25 up
Cable - $20/mo - basic cable, no HD
So for $200/mo I had sucks internet, don't talk too long outside your area code and no movies.

After
Uverse - 175/mo, full HD, HBO, Starz, Showtime the works. 30 down and 5 up. Talk USA and Canada unlimited.

So, even after 2 years when the price will be ~$250/mo it will still be worth it. Mikey is a very happy guy - :)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes, it does sound like you get quite a bit for your dough. But it's hard to decide how well it compares to my situation.

I'll go ahead and reveal a few more of my idiosyncracies. (spelling?) I'm a Hollywood hater and I don't talk on the phone unless there's a figurative gun to my head. I'll occasionally pop a DVD into the player. But even that's becoming rare these days. In any case, I don't pay any kind of subscription for television. I think my wife purchases Netflix or something like that. But I never see the bill.

And I talk so little on the phone that about $25 in credit lasts me about a season.

So....in this light my $57/month internet bill doesn't seem quite so bad. Maybe I ought to quit feeling sorry for myself.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
When my wife was alive we watched a lot of movies together. So we had Direct TV with the works. I think I was paying $180/mo. That was just for the big TV in the living room. The bedrooms ran off cable, she liked the shopping programs to put her to sleep.

After she died I had no use for the movies and cancelled the movie package.

Now I have a girlfriend and we do "supper club" twice a week. Go to each others houses, bring the dogs, make food, have cocktails and watch the dogs play. After supper and the dogs are fed, we crank up a movie and cuddle on the couch.

It's nice - :)

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
On a related note: I work for a university, and with the start of a new semester, I have to deal with a huge deluge of new students walking aimless and confused through campus. I have seen a yearly increase in an almost sociopathic trance of students walking and texting EVERYWHERE paying no attention whatsoever of who they're about to bump into next. This behavior seems to have been accepted by other students who make course-adjustments to avoid collisions, but I'm old-school: I think the behavior is pretty selfish and rude. I find myself literally saying "BEEP BEEP!" when walking around campus. I'm a huge dude too, I'm polite and accommodating, but if you think I'm gonna step-aside, you have a dropped iPhone in your future. At least on my bike they can hear me coming.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Kioshk, I know what you mean. I'm sick and tired of moving for these zombies. I'm stuck with my motorcycling brain so I always avoid a collision but I'd really like to crash right into them. Sad world where walking is becoming a lost art.

Think of the mayhem when these ------ start breeding. If they can't walk properly, how the **** are they going to drive?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Breeding generally requires interaction; the zombiphone appears to be a perfect contraceptive.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
This post is not really meant as a rant. It does have an entirely different purpose. But I'll start with a mild rant simply for the fun of it.

I'm an AT&T DSL subscriber. I have been for about three years now. And I'm underwhelmed.

At most times the service can be called mediocre. At somewhat irregular, but moderately frequent, times the service descends into 'poor' territory for a couple of days. All that might have been acceptable if it weren't for the premium price.

So I'm not a big fan of AT&T. But I do feel a bit better about them for their having put together this PSA. It should be required viewing for everyone.

http://www.slate.com/articles/video...stracted_driving_can_cause_car_accidents.html

And there's something kinda similar here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat..._documentary_from_one_second_to_the_next.html

I could go on. But these little films speak for themselves. Watch out. It hurts somewhat.

But if it helps people to realize that they ought to just slow down the pace a bit, then it'll be a good thing.
I too have DSL - had it for 12 yrs now. I get 2.5 mbits/sec - enough for 720 rez in real time. good enough for me. and its cheapish - 40 bcks for the internet part - 20 for the analog voice (phone) part --never use the phone - HATE PHONES - hate cellphones too - I do not use them! nor do I need one (though I have one because my mother demands it and pays for it herself "in case I have a flat/cartrouble".......................I had car trouble 3 yrs ago. Her 20 bucks a month *36 months ~ 600 buck flat tire!!!!!!!!!!....so I guess I do have a cellphone, just sits there, battery is prob. dead, no idea what my mobile phone number is - lol.

back to DSL and Public Service Anouncments and texting while driving!

I like Peter Watkins' PSA on the issue myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

Watkins (a movie director - big a long time ago - now seems forgotten) did this really good film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KaE2CAkk4Q

and this one (this one made him famous in 1965) about World War 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWr7omWJHyo

too bad they moved the whole movie sometime since 2 yrs ago ;-(. its quite good.

He did "Privilege" (the first Truman Show) too: (full movie - here last year - so gone now ;-(...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_dZEky0KAw

Last edited: