DMVs needs to train their ignorant Feild Office Gestopo Agents ;-(.

GoldenMotor.com

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Well, got my Ice Bear - "Honda" monkeybike clone tagged and registed today. Computers were down last week - so instead of 1-week in late fees, I have the honour to pay for 2-weeks in late fees (36 bucks -------- plus the regular 150 bucks! ---------- 3.8 in taxes for purchase price of bike, and the usual 99-bucks a year ------for as long as I shall own it ...........................which is the same for insurance. i.e. 200 yr from "now on"......................for a motorcycle/scooter in Okeihomie. My "flea hopper" Motorized Scooter (Chinese "Goped") I've owned now for 1-1/2 yrs - no tag no insurance - In another one more year it will have PAID FOR ITSELF - per the usual fees for registered and insured vehicles.

I digressed into the whole blessed world of unregistered bliss of some "grocery getters" vs the registered and insured same said "grocery getters"..............

and forgot the point of this thread.

sorry.

point:

LACK OF EDUCATION OF TAG AGENTS....................the Be-o-t-CH!!!!!!!!!!!!! from Hades - from the lowest Dante level - fixed "her" eyes upon me - me with MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin) and Bill of Sale (Receipt - i.e. the 1100 I $$$$helled out for the $treet Legal Motorcycle!)......................broad Beoch behind the counter says "this is not right! - I can't register this scooter, it was bought out of state".

me.

"I have the MCO "Manufacturer's Certifiction of Origin, and Bill of Sale, those are the documents I gave you"

beoch:

"Yes I see that, but it was bought out of state"

me:

"interent buy, they dropped it on my front porch. These bikes are really cheap - when you buy them via the internet you can get essentially the same bike as a local one at 1/4th the cost!"

beoch:

"this is highly irregular, I've not seen this before - I don't think I can register your bike (me - you "twit" - (I would get YOU instead of a reasonable person - thanks for nuthin "gawd" - you implying that "Ice Bear" Is NOT A DEALER, and I dropped 1100 bucks on a PAPERWIEGHT that I can't ride on the fookin street legally????????????????????? Gawd damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for untrained and ignorant folks that SHOULD KNOW THIER JOB AND THE LAW WRT TO STREET LEGAL).

me:

"Local motorcycle dealers are selling mainstream manufacturers their stuff way overpriced, and you can get almost the same from a Chinese maker via the net. I'd expect that this will become a lot more common"

beoch:

"its not common I assure you".................(beoch informs me that I'm full of sheit from her 1900's era Troglodite habitation.

beoch:

"give me a minute" (.....I wait for 2 minutes - with visions of 1100 bucks flushed down the toilet (I know she is an ignoramious - and that my motorcycle is - being sold by a legal dealer - Ice Bear - is legal............so even if ignoramous refuses to register and title......I can find another that knows the job and will do so.......................at another location and time...............................just such a PAIN IN THE ARSE - and NOT NEEDED IF EMPLOYEES WERE EDUCATED!!!!!!!!!))))))))).

ignorant hippo waddles back.

states "ok I'm going to allow this, but is highly irregular. (WTF? the internet is "highly irregular" -----fook this is ABSURD ------the whole damn experience was a sad dragedy/or comedy - both.....................when it SHOULD HAVE BEEN A NON ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMV's - of the 50 States - INFORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your empoyess of the INTERNET, MCO's, and Bill of Sales.

PLEASE -
the whole experience of the threatened non-legal bike (which I knew was fully legal - fook SHE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN - and my point!) ...............got my monkeybike registered and insured - 280 bucks later.

Its a NEW AGE DMV, Boutique Local Motorcycle Dealers...............................there is this thing called the INTERNET - been around for 20 yrs now.

In case you never heard of it.

I letting you know of its existence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I had one experience where it was 5 minutes to closing and the woman looked at my title for a split second and announced "Nope, I can't do it, I can't really see the notary stamp very well." I said "Oh your going to do it. The notary stamp is there and valid and you have 5 minutes til close."

She did it.

Then another time, I had 3 different people tell me different things pertaining to getting a salvage title car inspected. "Oh, you can't drive it, you'll have to have it towed to the inspection station." was one. I gave up and scrapped the car only to find out that all I needed was a "transport tag" (for a fee of course), and I could have driven it there...

Another time it was trying to get a boat sticker....

Another time it was a minor spelling discrepancy and they weren't going to sell me my tag for my Suzuki, even though I'd already re-registered it the previous two years. But, God bless her soul, she "MADE AN EXCEPTION THIS TIME".

I guess they just make it up as they go...

Last edited by a moderator:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry Gaffo but I had to add insult to injury by editing your post. I feel your frustration and have been there too but we do edit some language (profanity)

I once had a state inspector rap on my week old, $12,000 paint job with his knuckles and asked it the car was fiberglass. I told him if was a steel car and if he hit it with his knuckles again I would kick him in the (deleted)!!!

Yep, DVM people rate right up there with TSA as far as I'm concerned. I've only encountered a couple in my time that were worth their salary.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Gaffo, if you think the DMV is bad here, you oughta deal with some of the California and Utah DMV's.........just thinking about them caused my ear hair to catch on fire.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Sorry Gaffo but I had to add insult to injury by editing your post.
no prob.

still don't get it. 20 yrs now of the INTERNET. and this broad looks at me cross-eyed!

Look "Ice Bear" or whomever (Roketa/etc..) shell out their $$ to become Dealers and get their emissions (and yes Roketa and Baja (pep boys) did commit fraud 10 yrs ago from my understanding and faked emissions qualification for their bikes/scooters.................paid the fines.

story over ---until/if next court case --------until then they are Legel dealers with legal products.

I mean really - It's LEGAL or it ILLEGAL.

no gray - (yes there is ALL GRAY WRT to Motorized Bicycles because of the Laws in the many States differs and those that allow MB are mostly Western States with 1950's Traffic Laws and MB are "Grandfathered in".

BUT FKKN motercycles are NOT GRAY DAMMIT - they are either LEGAL (from a legal dealer) or they AREN'T.

If I were Ice Bear/etc..............................I'd be pissed if my buyers can't register their products after shelling out god knows what to the Feds to do legal business (**** maybe not - they get my money either way --but STILL).

I would not appreciate starting a dealership and doing all the legalize and shelling money out.............only to have 1/2 of the States ignore my "legalness"

DMV's - from al the States need to educate their employess. my whole "experience" should never had been.

there is no excuse. and I think there will be less chumps lining up for a 5 k bike at the local dealer that they can buy for 2 k on the net in the coming years.

I work at Ok DOT (dept of Trans - yes I'm a state employee), friend at higher level at DOT (a friend and knows I have a "street legal Goped" asked me if I could help in a guy that lives here in norman who just bought a 4-wheeled vehicle of some sort.

I looked into the Federal and our State codes and it looks like he can register it as a LSV (low speed vehicle) --assuming it is a UTV and not an ATV (I've not seen pictures).

anyway this guy just shelled out a couple grand and the DMV and Cops are telling him he has a 2-ton paperweight, and after looking at the regulations and finding that the assistant City Attorney is on record as affirming LSV and NEV (Neighborhood Electiric Vehicles) as Street Legal in Norman since the passage of the Federal Guidelines 10 yrs ago ....................the cops and DMver's telling this guy that he cant register his vehicle are full of sheet.

I confirmed with one (not the beoch - but the gal I paid the 180 to) at DMV today.

that "yes we register LSV (both Electric and Gasoline powered) here in Norman as long as they have the Federal requirments...................

front light, back light, windscreen, wipers, horn, two side reflectors. max speed 20-25 and drive only on 35 and below streets.

...................I gave my phone number for the owner of the 2 ton paperweight and would like to help a fellow neighbor........but have not gotten a phone call as yet from the individual.

Last edited:

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html

LSV have been a "done deal" for 17 yrs now.

2 states do not allow PA (pretty sure), other one I forget (NJ/NY?)

...........rest affirm the federal guidelines and LSV as street legal.

some states allow local ordinances to override state sanctions.

some state allow maximum speed to be higher TX I think allow 35 for vehicle and for said to ride on 45 (or is it 40?) MPH roads.

pretty rare though for a State to be more generous that Feds. most states conform directly to the federal guidelines.

Oklahoma included.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
once, i tried to get a boat trailer tag in wilmington ohio. the dmv told me i would have to take it to a weigh station in town and get it weighed first.
i said ok, but what if i get pulled over for not having a tag while i'm on the way there? crickets...
i asked if they had a 1 day temp tag for this sort of thing? more crickets... then "NO, we don't... NEXT"

so i called the ohio state police and explained the situation, including the fact that i would need to go by the lake first, to get the boat off the trailer.
the officer in charge said "just hook it up and go ahead. if you do get pulled over and ticketed by the local police, call me..."

wow!!! really???

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
so i called the ohio state police and explained the situation, including the fact that i would need to go by the lake first, to get the boat off the trailer.
the officer in charge said "just hook it up and go ahead. if you do get pulled over and ticketed by the local police, call me..."

wow!!! really???
And now for the rest of the story:

Officer in Charge: "State Patrol. Can I help you?"

Leo: "Yeah, I called today and you told me to take my trailer to get it weighed and if I got stopped and ticketed, to call you."

Officer in Charge: "Never heard of you, pal." 'click'

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I go the dmv, flirt with the obese, semi-literate, bored and pissed off clerks, and win everytime.

Bought my 1960 falcon ranchero with a "clean" title, only to find out "I" owed over a thousand in fees, almost more than I paid for it, and made my sad pouty face at the clerk, and she said, "...let me see what I can do..." punched a few keys on her computer, and all the fees magically disappeared. :)

Gotta learn how to play the dmv game. Nobody, not even the employees wanna be there, so if you can make them smile just once in their crappy, eight hour day dealing with angry people, you can get away with almost anything. :)

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
And now for the rest of the story:

Officer in Charge: "State Patrol. Can I help you?"

Leo: "Yeah, I called today and you told me to take my trailer to get it weighed and if I got stopped and ticketed, to call you."

Officer in Charge: "Never heard of you, pal." 'click'
that's exactly what i was thinking.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I go the dmv, flirt with the obese, semi-literate, bored and pissed off clerks, and win everytime.

Bought my 1960 falcon ranchero with a "clean" title, only to find out "I" owed over a thousand in fees, almost more than I paid for it, and made my sad pouty face at the clerk, and she said, "...let me see what I can do..." punched a few keys on her computer, and all the fees magically disappeared. :)

Gotta learn how to play the dmv game. Nobody, not even the employees wanna be there, so if you can make them smile just once in their crappy, eight hour day dealing with angry people, you can get away with almost anything. :)
Yep. It works. You just have to go in with the right attitude and state of mind. You have to expect to be treated badly so get the jump on them and give them something positive to concentrate on from the get-go.

Check their desk for a picture of their family or pet and start by commenting on that.
"Oh, I see you have a Poodle, Golden Retriever", etc, or "Hey, does your son play 'T' Ball? Cool". How about, "My daughter is about the same age as yours." "Disneyworld, huh? I love Disneyworld" :)

Check for their name: "Carol. That's my sister's name." and watch the lady smile. If it's a guy, you can try: "That was my grand dad's name. I've always liked it.

You get the point.
Use a little psychology on them. It might make your day, and their's, go smoother.

Tom

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
Yep. It works. You just have to go in with the right attitude and state of mind. You have to expect to be treated badly so get the jump on them and give them something positive to concentrate on from the get-go.

Check their desk for a picture of their family or pet and start by commenting on that.
"Oh, I see you have a Poodle, Golden Retriever", etc, or "Hey, does your son play 'T' Ball? Cool". How about, "My daughter is about the same age as yours." "Disneyworld, huh? I love Disneyworld" :)

Check for their name: "Carol. That's my sister's name." and watch the lady smile. If it's a guy, you can try: "That was my grand dad's name. I've always liked it.

You get the point.
Use a little psychology on them. It might make your day, and their's, go smoother.

Tom
so, saying "boy, your daughter sure is fat... and ugly" might not work as well? lol laff

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Actually the whole attitude thing is very true. Also the local DMV has improved significantly. 10 years ago you would have to wait over an hour, usually two hours, for you number to get called. Nowadays they work fast- you don't wait more than 30 minutes. Gone in with a good attitude and never had a problem. Like going to the post office.

Just like the cop I talked to when on the MB. To the how fast question I asked on, or off the record? :) I told him the truth and asked if he wanted to give it a go. You think if I did not go into that interaction smiling the outcome would be the same?

But.. Other agencies... The Medicare office... Phone or walk in expect to wait 4+ hours no matter what your attitude is... That what you idiots get for voting for Obummer

Last edited:

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
that's good advice and I agree with it and use it. Clerk's name was the same as my middle name and her husbands name is the same as my first name, her middle child - who die a child was there only son and named after her husband. Her other two surviving children are daughters.

I point was that the DMV should "know the laws" of their states! so they should know in detail (for instance in Oklahoma).

less common stuff than simple car tagging.

such as:

1. LIGHT TRUCK LAW: Light trucks (Micro-trucks). Legalized here 10 yrs ago. Must be 25 yrs or older (so new ones are not legal), must be a truck - kiecars are not legal - truck means it has to have a "bed" in back. Can drive on any highway, except interstates freeways.

2. Specially Constructed Vehicles/Kit Cars: there is form - with space for you to document all the major parts of the car, their separate prices (from bills of sale) - and ideally I would like you to take "progress pictures" of the construction. (I assume so you can't just buy a Dune Buggy and say you "built it" and drive your Renli on the interstate as a self-built car. Must have your kitcar inspected by the DPS (state Highway Patrolman - he will check off the comlience and give a VIN # if it passes inspection. You then go to DMV with his hand written Vin # and get it all formalized and legalized and on record.

3. LSV (Low Speed Vehicles): Legal the last 17 yrs here. but only on 35 mph or less roads going 25 mph or less. must have a "limiter" so as to not be able to go over 25 mph. Gas or electric - originally the law was for electrics, but not anymore.

.......................they don't need to know the Laws concerning motorized bicycles because they are not registered nor tagged in this state (but cops should know these laws).

.................Norman is SMART in that on their City Website they explicitly Legalize Gopeds as "Street Legal" if certain additional conditions are met.

I carry a printed copy with me at all times - should keep the cops off of me - seeing I added all the required conditions to the bike within 2 weeks of getting it last year.

http://www.normanok.gov/legal/city-attorney-faq

faq #15

15. What is the law in Norman about motorized scooters and untagged cycles?

Answer: Section 20-117 of the Code of the City of Norman defines a motor scooter as "any motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor."

Under § 20-603 of the Code of the City of Norman, it is unlawful to operate a motor scooter on the streets of the City unless is its equipped with:

1.Brakes adequate to control the movement; including two (2) separate means of applying the brakes, one for the front wheel and one for the rear;

2. Fenders over each wheel, as provided by the manufacturer;
3. Handlebars not exceeding twelve (12) inches in height, as measured from the point of attachment;
4. One lighted headlamp capable of showing a white light visible at least three hundred (300) feet forward;
5.Two (2) rear view mirrors, containing a reflecting surface of not less than three (3) inches in diameter, mounted one on each side of the vehicle and so positioned as to enable the driver to clearly view not less than two hundred (200) feet to the rear;
6.A double seating device and double foot rests (or a side car attachment) should the wheel diameter equal or exceed twelve (12) inches;
7.A speedometer capable of registering at least thirty-five (35) m.p.h.;
8.A taillight, mounted on the rear, which when lighted emits a red light visible at least three hundred (300) feet to the rear;
9. A windshield of sufficient quality, size and thickness to protect the driver from foreign objects, though in lieu thereof, the operator may wear goggles or face shield of sufficient material and design to protect him from foreign objects.
In addition, no person shall operate a motorcycle, motor scooter or moped on the streets of the City at any time, without the headlamp being on.

16. What age can the rider be to ride a motorized scooter and are they street legal?

Answer: There is not an age limit for operating a motor scooter with a power source that is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of not more than twenty-five (25) miles per hour on level ground, and:

a.if the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston or rotor displacement of thirty-five cubic centimeters (35 cu cm) or less regardless of the number of chambers in the power source,
b. if the power source is electric, has a power output of not more than one thousand (1,000) watts.

47 O.S. § 1-133.3(3)(a) and (b).

Motor scooters that exceed the limitations set forth in 47 O.S. § 1-133.3(3)(a) and (b) must be registered with the State and require a license to operate. A rider must be 14 years of age of older to obtain a license to operate a motor scooter that exceed the limitations set forth in 47 O.S. § 1-133.3(3)(a) and (b).
A motor scooter is "street legal" if it complies with § 20-603 of the Code of the City of Norman.

my neighbors hear Nadasurf and Black Mountian all night ;-).

Last edited:

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
the trail system helps here. atv's, utv's, and dirtbikes can ride right into the local towns to get gas, food, etc. some of the locals even use them as daily commuter vehicles.
other than the occasional drunk being stupid and flying through town, i have never even heard of them ticketing anyone.
as long as you have a trail sticker and keep your helmet and goggles on, you're pretty much good to go.
i haven't gotten a second look from the police so far, other than to see the bike itself.