my live to regret it - bought a monkey Z5o clone w/ sidcar for 1100

GoldenMotor.com

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
guy named "Barnone" - on several motorcycle forums I noticed, has now had his nearly a year and no mechanical issues so far. he registed it in North Carolina a rides it all over NC. he has a summer home in FL and says they drive like maniacs in FL and no way to ride it safely there.

here are some picts of his dated to last year, right after he assembled it - he added a nice seat too!

http://planetminis.com/forums/z50-ct70-jdm-monkeybikes/149822-monkeybike-side-cart-lol-2.html

max speed is 45, max cruise is around 40.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If you turn the bars all the way across you should be able, at low speed, to make the sidecar wheel turn backwards.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Really? You can't even buy the motor for $200.

I think it's cool. You gonna put the dog in the hack?
nope. I like dogs, but they need more attention than I can provide. plus I have and like cats better. Someone should have told my "Figet" to act more like a cat instead of an owner fixated co-dependent cat. My buddy is quite demanding in making me give you attention.

she wears dog clothes in winter (for my amusment), and thinks she's a dog sometime. maybe I can tried her to the sidcar and see what happens (on, I don't think that would end well)

actually I've got a buddy with a 67 Camaro who lives 6 blocks down my street - seeing that his wheels have not moved in the last 2 yrs (just rusted more and more with each passing year - lol). He tags alone when I get groceries every other week - via my Yaris...............so he'll probably seat himself in the sidecar when I drop by his house to go to the store in the future.

BTW your pict reminds me of my favorite actors - Edward Wooodward (Breaker Morant/Callen/Equalizer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhcsy7J5wNk&list=PLFHFABpjyxQnHdoezgr7nlesG2eSAjJI-

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
You could strap a lawn chair to the platform for your buddy! That would attract more attention than any $50,000 Harley! :D

I'll be on the lookout for you when I'm in Norman.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
sure thing - keep an eye out! they shipped the unit from Atlanta today - should get here next week. then have to assemble and change oil, locktite bolts, etcc.. (and of course costomize - like skin the steel frame of sidecar with plastic or vinyl, add windscreen to both bike and sidcar and add the same seat that "barnone" did to his (I like the looks of his sidcar - so I'll blatently copy his ;-)...........someone provided the link to the seat in a forum somewhere and it took not of it. I ordered the Army Green color, but what I'll get for sure I will not know until it arrives, so holding off ordering the seat until I know what color will match.

and of course I'll have to add a Flag!! (FLAGS are for survival!!) my goped's bright yellow 1970 era Happy Face flag is visible from miles away.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAXv4/gtOB6jLeGNs/s2048/IMG_9835_3_21.jpg

cute kid.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
in otherwords don't expect to see me on the road with this thing until September. and then only if I pass the bike test. I only have a license to drive a car currently. I'll prob. sneek over to the local elementary school (vacant in summer) where they have a nice parking lot and can practice me turns with sidcar-attached and practice shifting/etc....

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Remember, although reflex will try to take over, if you get the thing sideways, don't panic and put your feet on the deck. I was there when a novice did this on a little home made moped outfit, and broke his ankle by running over it.

On the other hand, do have fun going along with the chair wheel airborne and shouting for help as you do figure of 8s.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
and then only if I pass the bike test. I only have a license to drive a car currently. I'll prob. sneek over to the local elementary school (vacant in summer) where they have a nice parking lot and can practice me turns with sidcar-attached and practice shifting/etc....
Brings back memories...

I would remove the hack before doing the test.

Every weekend over at DMV and practicing the "ride around the circle test" You have to keep the front wheel between two concentric circles. Also the "slalom" and the gear shifting thing. It's not hard, but it's a lot harder than riding fast in a straight line.

Yes, be real good at slow speed maneuvering and you should have no problem. It's all about slow speed balance. It's all done in the parking lot, you ain't going to be over 15 MPH the whole test.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Add some ballast to the sidecar as well, there's very little weight in what you have holding the wheel down. How much weight will be right? That will need testing, trying different amounts.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Gaffo,
Considering how easy it is to dump a thousand or more into a build I think you did okay and should have a lot of fun with it. Give yourself some time getting used to the sidecar. I nearly ran into a tree the first time I took mine for a little ride down the driveway. Steering by leaning into curves doesn't work so well with a sidecar, so you have to turn that front wheel. Feels weird until you get used to it.

Try the cat in a little cat carrier strapped onto the sidecar. Go slow at first and see how it goes. My dog loves going for rides both in the kiddie trailer and even better in the canoe sidecar (pictured in avatar). It took a while for her to get used to wearing doggles, but now she knows if she wants to ride then doggles is part of the deal, like me with a helmet. And yes, people pay lots more attention to a hairy four legged biker babe riding by in a stubby canoe attached to an old putt putt bicycle than the $$$$Harley Davidson lookalikes. how do you spell "fun"?
SB

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
doggles - lol.

your story reminded me of this movie that I ran across a couple of weeks ago. I'd buy a Bluray - but they only offer DVD. they say bluray - but the link is dead. And I don't do pay-per-view (streaming in this case for the HiRez version)

http://www.sidecardogs.com/

looks like a good flick.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Well, she showed up today - freight truck dropped her 240 lb steel framed/wood planked box with a fully assembled bike with sidecar attached.

this I did not expect - expected to have to install front wheel and sidecar.

Motorcycle (if you can call it that) is the same size as my Goped, weighs 130 lbs dry and "looks" nice, mechanically too? guess I'll find out ;-/.

Sidcar build quality is very good - better than I expected ("beefier")

bike maker is Zhenhua......................I've heard of them.

a 3rd tier manufacturer - like the other manufacturer of Monkey bikes, Jiangsu Sacin

Loncin makes the engine.

Last edited: