Not reaching top speed

GoldenMotor.com

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
i suggest the voodoo or poopoo exhausts as a bolt on. unless u have welding skills then get the proma gp clamp on.

i was going to suggest more stinger not less. but the sound and low end-midrange should be better as a guess now. either way that stock exhaust will reach 3rd degree burn temps because of its catalitic converter.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ok, so even after I took off the cap to my muffler, I'm still only getting 23!!! Have any ideas on whats going on?
Hmmm.....

Well, have you done any tuning on the carb?

Its hard without actually being able to see and hear engine to know what to tell you, my bikes will darn near idle down the road at 23mph so yeah that is a very slow top speed.

how does the engine sound from the time you let out clutch until it reaches the 23mph top speed?

Does it make a blubbering sound the whole time, or does it ever clean up to a nice buzzing sound?

what is you spark plug gap look like?

do you wheels roll freely and easy?

how tight do you have the drive chain?

is the choke completely pushed down after the engine starts?

Its bound to be a simple fix, just have to narrow down what it is causing the restriction.

thirdorangutan

Mar 19, 2015
Austin, Texas
Hmmm.....

Well, have you done any tuning on the carb?

Its hard without actually being able to see and hear engine to know what to tell you, my bikes will darn near idle down the road at 23mph so yeah that is a very slow top speed.

how does the engine sound from the time you let out clutch until it reaches the 23mph top speed?

Does it make a blubbering sound the whole time, or does it ever clean up to a nice buzzing sound?

what is you spark plug gap look like?

do you wheels roll freely and easy?

how tight do you have the drive chain?

is the choke completely pushed down after the engine starts?

Its bound to be a simple fix, just have to narrow down what it is causing the restriction.
it sounds quite load and sort of pops, and reaches a clear buzz but after a few seconds at the top speed it gets kinda jerky and lurches. No matter what notch I have the pin in the carb on the spark plug is still black and grimy. It might have something to do with fuel. If so, what is your recommended amount of oil to gas.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
it sounds quite load and sort of pops, and reaches a clear buzz but after a few seconds at the top speed it gets kinda jerky and lurches. No matter what notch I have the pin in the carb on the spark plug is still black and grimy. It might have something to do with fuel. If so, what is your recommended amount of oil to gas.
are you using the spark plug that came in the kit? if so replace it with a B6HS NGK plug which can normally be picked up at any motorcycle shop.

The oil fuel mix ratio topic will normally get all kinds of suggestions but Im gonna tell you that with most any good grade oil that is specifically formulated for air cooled 2 stroke engines you can mix @ 32:1 and it should run just fine on it, I can tell you thought that if you still have the stock size jet in the carb its likely to big as I have always found it to be.

what kind of oil ate you using and how much are you putting in a gallon of gasoline?

thirdorangutan

Mar 19, 2015
Austin, Texas
I am currently putting 6 oz of oil per gallon but thats break in and i am about to go to norm mix. I have an upgraded cdi and a three prong performance spark plug. Ill try adjusting the pin and get back to you.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I'd start with the tires, make sure they're aired up, make sure it rolls easy, could be an over-tight back bearing/wheel or something.
Then I'd check the spark. Take the plug out, ground it to the head and in dim light, roll it forward. The spark should be visible and constant with a little snap.
Check the torque on your head nuts, they should all be pretty snug, about 12 foot pounds or so.
Next, drain the gas and do a good job mixing up some new, fresh gas.
I just had a problem with bad gas myself.
With high quality 2 stroke oil 25/1 is oily enough for any china girl to break in on.
With an easy rolling bike, tight head, decent spark and fresh gas you will have your basics covered.
It should do better than 23.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Ah ha!
Echo is mixed at 50/1 I think. 6 ounces would be a lot of this particular oil. 2 1/2 ounces would be the manufacturer's advice. 6 is a lot of this stuff.
Try some valvoline at 25-32/1. (I run 32/1 since third tank of gas).

thirdorangutan

Mar 19, 2015
Austin, Texas
Ok, so what it sounds like is its really loud and poppy at idle and then once i reach top speed it gets a hum and starts to speed up but then pops down to the crackly sound and lurches and slows so i can't go faster that 24 now.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Also, I don't understand the benefits of a three pronged sparker.
You only get one spark anywho, and how do you gap that thing?
NGK, baby, yeah.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Mixing has its own tricks, too. I put a shot of REGULAR GAS in my can, add in the required oil, then blast the rest of the gas in full bore. Then I spend a couple minutes shaking that can before each fill in the tank. Got to keep that mix smooth and even.
Good luck, hope she does better, manno.
(Never try to mix it in the bike's tank, doesn't work out too well sometimes.)

thirdorangutan

Mar 19, 2015
Austin, Texas
So y'all think the reason its loud and poppy at idle and then once i reach top speed it gets a hum and starts to speed up but then pops down to the crackly sound and lurches and slows is because my oil and gas

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
So y'all think the reason its loud and poppy at idle and then once i reach top speed it gets a hum and starts to speed up but then pops down to the crackly sound and lurches and slows is because my oil and gas
It could be oil fouling of the plug, I'm just guessing here. Trying to get you going.
These are simple engines, it shouldn't be too hard to straighten it out but starting from scratch is the best way to find the problem, so the basics come first.
We don't really know anything.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Just to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with echo oil, it's just the engine instructions call for 20/1 or 25/1 which is way too much echo oil.
You could even try a new batch of gas with 40/1 echo oil. Since 50/1 is the recommended, 40/1 is a good compromise with the engine instructions, know what I mean? Valvoline is nothing special, just good oil. Echo is good oil, too.