Warmest regards for Advent and Christmas.

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Well I really am finding it difficult to believe that it's December already and when I look back over 2014 at everything that happened it's the bright star of being a member of this forum that always seems to shine through my most glummest moments. There's more than just a few folk here that I very much count as friends and for that blessing I'm very grateful :)

Despite all the ups and downs throughout the year I have to say that 2014 hasn't been a bad sort of year for me at all. My daughter has largely recovered from PTSD over the course of this year and is doing very well with the home based computer programming work she does and she's also researching and writing a book. Having her living with me has been wonderful and her companionship and friendship has been just so good to have during those times when I haven't been well.
My son graduated with his law degree completed this month and I don't mind admitting all that I'm very proud of him. Despite being an excellent scholar exams would always make him nervous and over the past five years I've had many many telephone conversations with him at three in the morning around exam time because my son was sure he was going to do poorly with his exams. I think the lowest mark he ever got was a B+, but there you go I was still glad I was there to offer encouragement and support.

For me of course 2014 was the year I started to build the cyclecar I've always wanted to build. After being ill for a long time I seem to be getting back on my feet again too. I know that religion isn't supposed to be a topic of discussion, but as some of you know already I'm a third order Franciscan and being more well this year means that I've been able to return to having a more of an active role in our local parish. I'm taking baby steps and being careful as my reserves are still slender, but by the grace of God I'm making progress.

So blessings and good to you one and all and may your Christmas be a peaceful one spent in the company of those you love.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Aww,that was a super read. :) I am so glad you're feeling better, as I know how it is to be down with a major illness, and then to start feeling better. May you continue to feel better each day. And I do hope that you enjoy your Christmas with your loved ones. :) God bless.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Why, yes indeed! That was a nice read. And I'm glad to hear that you're feeling pretty well, Intrepid Wheelwoman. (I've noticed a few recent posts from you that seem to indicate that you'd been improving. But it's nice to see it in print.)

2014 has been a perfectly good year for me. Though in October I developed gout for the first time in my life. It's still with me. Can you believe it? A bicycle rider. With a constantly sore foot, of all things. Still, if that's my biggest complaint then I'm not doing too bad. I have plenty to be grateful for.

And I also like visiting motorbicycling dot com. I always feel as though I'm in good company around here.

So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'll put it simply. I'm just glad you're feeling so much better and looking forward to life.

I will now post a pic of myself so you can be horrified at the company you are keeping.

ps

Bah Humbug! ;)

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Merry Christmas to you also, Anne!!

I was in an antique shop the other day and saw an early 1920's era ladies hat ---- you guessed it, my immediate thought was "I bet that Anne would rock that hat!!" It's funny how you can remember some of the little things that get tucked away in the cabeza. The little things truly make life worthwhile!

Mark

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi Annie,
What a nice note and picture to go with it. I don't do Christmas anymore now that my children are middle aged adults, but will a bit with the grandchildren as Grandpa is not the grinch, after all. In my private world here in forest I quietly observe the winter solstice as a kind of natural earth holiday...imagining that there is a moment when the pendulum's swing of the seasons stops for a heartbeat and goes the other way. For those of us in the northern hemisphere the diminishing light begins to brighten which is cause for joy among hibernating bears of all kinds. I will do a pipe ceremony and include you and your healing in my prayer. Wishing you well in all ways, my friend.
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Thank you so much for your lovely replies and good wishes gentlemen :)

And Ludwig, - at last I see a picture of your good self! What immediately came to mind was, 'Ludwig played guitar........' And what followed was a spirited but not especially talented reinterpretation of the old David Bowie song I liked so much when I was younger woman. No I didn't record it, - sorry about that, - but for the sake of everyone's ears it is most probably a good thing ;)

xseler, - it is soooo difficult to find genuine hats from the 1920's. Whenever I've seen them they are always expensive. And yeah, - I bet I could've rocked that hat :D

And Silverbear, I like living in this leafy small rural town I call home for much the same reasons. Here I can observe and meditate on the cycle of the seasons even though the sound of the traffic on the main road does intrude sometimes. While I wasn't well my courtyard garden area turned in to an overgrown riot of wildflowers, runaway climbing roses and weeds. I was going to tidy it up, but then I noticed the small creatures that had made their homes in the riotous tangle. We have a tiny native lizard here that is becoming endangered and a whole bunch of them have made their homes in my courtyard jungle. Of course there are the insects as well and birds and no doubt field mice too. As a Franciscan I found I didn't have it in me to start tearing up these small creatures homes so now my courtyard has become the place where I can sit quietly and observe the beauty that is God's creation.
At Christmas I will light candles and include all of you in my prayers. May you be truly blessed each and everyone of you.

At present we've been having the tail ends of a couple of tropical storms passing over us with strong winds and heavy rain. We know it is Summer though because the rain is warmer.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Is there somebody who would welcome your notification about the lizards? There should be some conservation body, Friends Of The Lacertilian or something.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Anne:

Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us.

The garden sounds delightful. I have more wildlife on my property than most here in the desert, because I choose to share it with them. I have a Lady Banks rose that is 20+ feet high, and 25 feet wide. A cat proof bird sanctuary that I only prune when all the nests are empty.

Enjoy your time with nature and the family.

Merry Christmas

Brad

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Thank you Anne. And Merry Christmas to you as well.
And to all the rest of you, I wish you all a Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Fröliche Weinachten, Happy Kwanzaa, wonderful Chanukah, or whatever makes you happiest. But most importantly I wish you all enough peace, love, and goodwill to last into the next year. That's what these holidays are for.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year, Anne.

My son is riding his 250cc Yamaha to South America and he is constantly posting lizards on his blog. I'm watching a chap from New Zealand who is riding a motorcycle around the South Island and fly fishing as he goes. What fantastic scenery.

Steve.