acceleration problems

GoldenMotor.com

motorman99

Oct 29, 2013
los angeles
Hello, I recently purchased a bike with a kit installed used from someone (seeming like a bad idea) and i'm having issues getting the bike to accelerate. The bike starts very easily, it only needs a few pedals before I can release the clutch and it starts right up but it has zero acceleration. Whenever I move the throttle to accelerate it drops in pitch and dies. The previous owner had installed a racing air filter - i thought it might be a problem of too much air so i stuffed the filter with a pot scrubber but still nothing. Took apart the carb today and couldn't see anything wrong. Float seems fine and the main jet is clear. And it seems like the throttle is moving the needle in the carb. I have an NTTC carburetor, the motor is unmarked. Any ideas why no power at all? Is it simply an issue of tuning the carb better? Something in the motor or exhaust? air filter? The gas is somewhat old could that be the issue? It seems too dramatic for that to be the problem. Thanks!

motorman99

Oct 29, 2013
los angeles
also there is no choke on the air filter anymore from the previous owner - worth replacing if it will still start? could this be the issue?.flg.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd first loosen the muffler to give about a 1.4 inch gap - if that makes it run better, I'd clean or replace the muffler. Don't run it long with the muffler loose tho.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Old gas could be a problem, it's always good to start with fresh if you can.

The choke might also be a problem.. many engines don't need it to start, but some do. Especially if they've been sitting a while. I 'woke up' all three of mine the other day. Harley's has a stock carb, which almost never needs to be choked but it refused to go until I closed it. Then it fired right up.