Octane Fuel For 2 strokes

GoldenMotor.com

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Hello to the forums! My question today is about octane fuel for 2 stroke engines! What is the highest octane you can put in them? Is higher octane fuel (like, per se, Shell "Premium") better for the engine? Or does higher octane fuel just mean more power/cleaner burning? Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use.

The higher the compression ratio, the higher-octane fuel is needed.

Compression ratio = Octane
5:1 =72
6:1 =81
7:1=87
8:1=92
9:1=96
10:1=100
11:1=104
12:1=108

ross59

Sep 25, 2013
Johnson City Tn
I be-live the higher the gas octane and the use of syntheticic 2 cycle oil is the best. Well that what I do use my self when riding my motorized bicycle.

Ross

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You don't need the higher octane for a stock 66cc but all I use is premium as here in Phoenix anyway, the good stuff has less ethanol in it and usually just better gas and for an an extra buck to fill up my cans for a month worth it.

But when you come right down to it you could probably get these engines to run on kerosene in a pinch.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Except for the placebo effect, the only advantage to buying the high priced gas for these little 2 stroke engines is to make the oil company happy. There isn't enough compression to make any difference what fuel you buy so why waste your money?

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Except for the placebo effect, the only advantage to buying the high priced gas for these little 2 stroke engines is to make the oil company happy. There isn't enough compression to make any difference what fuel you buy so why waste your money?

Tom
Exactly right. High octane is wasting money in a stock 66.
I have some old stale nasty smelling varnish gas from draining a junk car tank, and aside from the horrible smell, my Pig runs just fine on this crap.
Burn the cheap stuff and use the savings for loose women and intoxicants.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
the stock motor will run on 80 octain and used motor oil mixed 20:1 lol and do it with a smile !
however ... my head has been decked down almost to the cooling fins and has a lot of other mods also the compression messured with the motor off is 150lbs average so i run 93 with a dash of octaine booster at 40:1 full synthetic. i do not know the uncorrected comp ratio though i have not done the math.

there are two types of compression checks in a 2 stroke corrected and uncorrected.

put it this way you could raise you exhaust port and widen it by doing some intricate porting and polishing then instal a high comp head and get a lower comp reading than stock ! this is because your exhaust port was raised and it allows more air to escape the jug ass the piston goes up giving you a lower pressure. but when the motor is running your expantion chamber exhaust return wave now has more room and time to flow back into the jug because of the larger port, and this will force more fuel in the jug than stock giving you a higher comp when the piston seals off the exhaust port befor ignition !!!

the point is its not a 4 stroke and you can not acuratly muesure compression by screwing a gauge in the plug hole .

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw

Tom
There's actually less ethanol in the higher quality fuels as well, at least in Shell Gasoline here. I always use the premium shell gasoline, I find the throttle response is snappier (Seriously, I got cheap gas from 7-11 and it bogs quite a bit more) and pulls a bit harder. HOWEVER, the one time I put cheap gas in at a different pump (ran out and had to go to the nearest station), It was slower to accelerate, but for some reason my engine was willing to rev much, much higher, I gained a solid 5kph on my top speed and was almost able to keep up with cars on a 70kph road.

Dave has a pretty good chart, I dont know how accurate it is and I dont think it's 100% set in stone (you can prevent detonation by retarding cam timing in 4-strokes), but Ferrari's commonly run 11:1 or higher compression and yes, alot of people use race fuels with them. Our engines, if I remember correctly, run about 6:1 compression out of the box. This, of course, doesn't mean pressure is x psi, because at different altitudes, humidity and temperatures, the air pressure can vary greatly. Then your port timings, carb size, reeds or other intake mods and any sort of forced induction will also affect your pressure. But as a general guideline, dave's chart is a good starting point.

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
There's actually less ethanol in the higher quality fuels as well, at least in Shell Gasoline here. I always use the premium shell gasoline, I find the throttle response is snappier (Seriously, I got cheap gas from 7-11 and it bogs quite a bit more) and pulls a bit harder. HOWEVER, the one time I put cheap gas in at a different pump (ran out and had to go to the nearest station), It was slower to accelerate, but for some reason my engine was willing to rev much, much higher, I gained a solid 5kph on my top speed and was almost able to keep up with cars on a 70kph road.

Dave has a pretty good chart, I dont know how accurate it is and I dont think it's 100% set in stone (you can prevent detonation by retarding cam timing in 4-strokes), but Ferrari's commonly run 11:1 or higher compression and yes, alot of people use race fuels with them. Our engines, if I remember correctly, run about 6:1 compression out of the box. This, of course, doesn't mean pressure is x psi, because at different altitudes, humidity and temperatures, the air pressure can vary greatly. Then your port timings, carb size, reeds or other intake mods and any sort of forced induction will also affect your pressure. But as a general guideline, dave's chart is a good starting point.
yup 6:1 comp and around
9:1 dynamic comp (thats the actual comp wile the motor is running)

at the highest dynamic comp, running cheap fuel could cause a bog as its not burning fast enough or clean as it could, but at 9:1 i do not think it will hurt your motor...
9:1 dynamic is low and the average 2 banger should be around 12:1 dynamic comp and 9:1 to 10:1 measured .

if you have mods like a x chamber and you have some porting done , even though your measured comp may be the same as stock you have raised your dynamic (running) comp ratio and require higher octaine.

Last edited: