Dax Balanced lower...?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Help me out here fellas....

Looked around and didnt find any comments on whether the "Balanced Lower Duane at Thats Dax is selling has been found to be a better lower than stock.

If you have one of these engines and you have seen a good result and less vibes than what most stock engine produce let me know, Im possibly interested in trying one of those lowers for my next build.

Peace, Map
.bf.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I have one. the build quality is nicer than say a grubee Gt5 for example. It uses hex bolts on the exterior instead of those crummy screws that strip on the case covers. I thought that the jug and the were very light... and then the head cracked at barely 12ft pounds of torque. If you buy the bottom and the top end separate it is $10 cheaper. TBH my bike is not nearly fast enough to actually utilize a balanced crank. A balanced crank will probably eek out a couple hundred extra RPM at WOT on a really high end/upgraded motor.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I just went to Duanes site and ordered the balanced lower end, I have a new jug and some high quality wrist pin bearings, I have one of those bright green Walmart fixie bikes I bought on clearance for $50 and just stuck back in the shop about a year and a half ago so that will make a good bike to try this engine on, I will loose the Red & Yellow colored clown looking tires that are on the bike though...LOL!

I'll post a pic of the bike asap on this thread, frame seems ok on it and welds aren't beautiful but not bad looking so I'm hoping for a good bike when I'm done.

Peace, Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thats great WildBill, may take me a while to get mine together but if you beat me to the finished build I will be looking forward to hearing about your results.

I paid $80 for a PK-80 lower a couple years ago that is still sitting in pieces in a box, I tore it down for several mods and just havent taken time to put it back together, if the Dax engine really does have a better balance and better internal components ( Bearings ) like I have read about, it is for sure a good deal and I'm excited to find out.

Map

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I blew up my pk Friday .ordered the DAX bottom end Friday afternoon .it'll be here Monday .you're welcome it's for turning you on to it mitch p. he swears I'm going to love it so between it being balanced and with my Jaguar I should scream 9,000RPM.s plus I turned 8200 with my PK.80 I'll keep you guys posted .

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I blew up my pk Friday .ordered the DAX bottom end Friday afternoon .it'll be here Monday .you're welcome it's for turning you on to it mitch p. he swears I'm going to love it so between it being balanced and with my Jaguar I should scream 9,000RPM.s plus I turned 8200 with my PK.80 I'll keep you guys posted .

Ill be running a Jaguar too, mine came today and I started putting it in but my hand & shoulder still hurt from the races saturday so I quit for the day. I may fire it up tomorrow for the first time.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I'm very interested in the crank as well. I can only manage to squeeze out 7000 RPM on my current bike and I'd like to get up to 9k or faster so I can claim the fabled 50mph mark or better. My first bike cranked out 9300 RPM out of the box so I know it's doable, and foureasy's 50mph run was done on a 41T, the equivalent of ~10800 RPM. Lightened piston, proper balance and high RPM ports I should see 50 easy, maybe even 60:confused:, though I'll probably never see 60, the plan is if I can eek out near 11k RPM I'll be moving down to a 44T to get more torque (a stiff breeze or a good hill [or both in combination] can slow me down to 25 or even less)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Ill be running a Jaguar too, mine came today and I started putting it in but my hand & shoulder still hurt from the races saturday so I quit for the day. I may fire it up tomorrow for the first time.
Hope your shoulder is doing better Bill.
I hate seeing a racer getting hurt and also wasting money on worthless
performance parts too.

The Jaguar ignition is not used by any of the fast racers and they
would be using it if it gave you an advantage.

The best tuner at the races on June 1st was tuning his motors with
the usual stock CDI and one with the Jaguar CDI because one of the
racers insisted on using the jag CDI.

The jaguar CDI could not be made to run right at high rpms and that
racer will not be using one again.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Well, this changes everything now. NOT EVEN!!! I'm calling anyone and everyone in the " GREATER ST.LOUIS AREA " to come on the He!! out race me PLEASE!!!! P.S. I purchased my Jaguar just for the Reallllllyyyyyy Cool Sticker on it!! Maybe I'll hook it up. LOL

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hello there Aleman,

Thanks for the welcome back, I know I been out of pocket for a good while now, just crazy things in life, getting things sorted out again so I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing now days and what new gadgets we have access to, I been seeing that a lot of people are buying those Jaguar CDI set ups it seems, I've wondered about them myself, but I get 38-40MPH out of my bikes with the stock CDI's so I don't know if there would be anything for me to gain with them, I guess this is the gadget to have now....LOL!

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing how that balanced lower from Duane works out, if it is just 25-30% smoother at cruising speeds that will be great, I've been able to manage the rest of the issues with the 2 smokers pretty good but the vibes have been the biggest killer of these little engine IMHO, even good quality bearing will finally give it up under serious vibes after a while.

If I remember right you pretty much said to heck with the 2 smokes and are solid with the 4's now, how are you builds holding up and have you figured out any neat tricks on them?

Thanks again Aleman, good to hear from ya.

Peace, Map.wee.

Hey map, good to seeya around again. Keep up posted on your findings! :D

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The smoothest motors I've had are all Flying Horse. My relatively stock motor winds out to 8000 rpm with a 36T on a 24" wheel. At 7000 rpm it's doing 34 mph.

I'm not however in any way bashing DAX motors, just want to make people aware that Flying Horse motors seem smoother than others.

Flying Horse has a light piston, DAX?
Flying Horse has Japanese bearings, DAX?

Plus IMHO jaguar is crap. I've seen first hand a bike with similar mods as mine except I had a stock CDI, and my bike was just as fast or faster.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Yes. These new Block Lowers have the single piece steel 360 full circle GP crank hand drilled and balanced. Also.. These blocks use the Grade 8.8 Case and mounting studs to boot. Rod used is 3 center holes also hand drilled for superior oiling. Rod length is 110mm. This also allows for a lighter rod for faster revs. I am in the process of applying for copyrights to the crank design.. Current testing shows this is the best crank ever for these little engines. Also.. I am waiting for feedback from other users and racers that are now procuring these lower ends. Normally, the the crank used is Iron 2 piece and is screwed together. This new Crank is Steel and full circle. It is more precise and allows for tighter tolerances thus occupying more area in the block creating higher velocities resulting in hp gain. Even more hp is gained because this steel crank is lighter allowing it to rev up faster.. We are awaiting more real time feed back on this lower block. As I said before, pre sale testing was impressive. We test everything first.. Enjoy the ride.. :)

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I gotta say, that really does sound impressive Duane. The best motors I've tried had the truest cranks. Anyone would be stupid to buy a BGF motor instead of one of yours.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks for the post here Duane, I'm really looking forward to getting the new lower and getting it set up.
Peace, Map

Yes. These new Block Lowers have the single piece steel 360 full circle GP crank hand drilled and balanced. Also.. These blocks use the Grade 8.8 Case and mounting studs to boot. Rod used is 3 center holes also hand drilled for superior oiling. Rod length is 110mm. This also allows for a lighter rod for faster revs. I am in the process of applying for copyrights to the crank design.. Current testing shows this is the best crank ever for these little engines. Also.. I am waiting for feedback from other users and racers that are now procuring these lower ends. Normally, the the crank used is Iron 2 piece and is screwed together. This new Crank is Steel and full circle. It is more precise and allows for tighter tolerances thus occupying more area in the block creating higher velocities resulting in hp gain. Even more hp is gained because this steel crank is lighter allowing it to rev up faster.. We are awaiting more real time feed back on this lower block. As I said before, pre sale testing was impressive. We test everything first.. Enjoy the ride.. :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The BGF motors are a crap shoot just like some of the other IMHO but...... I have one of the older style motors I got from him back in 2009 that is still running strong with 1600+ miles on it so far, completely stock with only a home built exhaust and the NT carb rejetted, it will hit a GPS'd 41 MPH with the 32T sprocket I have on the 24" rear wheel, it feels and sounds as if it's about to blow.....! at that speed but it will get there on a flat without any head wind if Im tucked in tight on the bike....LOL!

This is one of the old engines with the 6mm head studs with a straight plug head.
I'm sure I just got lucky on this one and if so, I'm glad because it has been a very sweet little engine, I do wish it was a bit smoother at 30mph, its not really bad vibes but will buzz the hands a bit after 8-10 miles at that speed.

I've got what I think is a Flying Horse engine on another bike an it is a pretty smooth runner, good power, bought it on an old bike that someone tried to get going but never did, paid $75 for the the Mood Dog cruiser and the Engine combined, good riding bike.

I'm like you biknut in that the Dax motor does sound impressive and I really hope it is a couple notches up from what I have now, even if its just a smoother engine and I still get about the same speeds out of it I'll be happy, I'm not looking to go 50mph on my bikes, I have a Harley and an old Yamaha Maxim for that............lol! I just want to be able to enjoy the bike rides more by them being more comfortable and as reliable as possible, I have a few people wanting me to build them bikes but I want to find an engine that is smoother running and will hold up a bit better than the BGF & others average engines.

r.ly.

I gotta say, that really does sound impressive Duane. The best motors I've tried had the truest cranks. Anyone would be stupid to buy a BGF motor instead of one of yours.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mapbike,
Save your money and stick with the stock CDI. Think of it this way; what you'd pay for that thing you could almost have a new DAX bottom end. Any advantage is purely psychological. The placebo effect, but an expensive one.

Tom