I really have to laugh at guys like this

GoldenMotor.com

PaPa_FoZzY

Nov 23, 2012
Neshoba co. Mississippi
One more thing. My Dad has been an automotive mechanic since he was in his teens, co owned a business and has forgotten more about cars than most people knew. His saying used to be, and still is. "Sometimes it's not what you do. But what you know how to do." He's been sucuesful in the community and still is because he offered as fair of a price as he could, but still never gave away his labor. Now if this bike was a job for an individual who came to him, then he would probally pass the cost of parts and bike to them and add his labor, which if it were me in that case would still come out to $400 bucks and I made $100.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I like overpriced builds. They make my sale builds much more attractive to potential buyers.
I see people on cl all the time buying bikes from outlet stores or pawn shops and trying to get full price online. I just move on past the ads and let the competition sort them out.

hawaii_87

San Diego's Master Ride Organizer
May 17, 2011
San Diego
Ok so I sell my build starting at $200 for a 2 stroke. $400 for a 4 stroke. My base price for labor os $150. Now all I make on the kits is my gas money to drive 20 miles to pick up the kit. My labor is where I make my money. Now say I run into complications. Such as milling a sprocket. I charge, with receipt, what I'm charged. Same thing if I have to take to a bike shop. Now I can take the criticism. What do you guys think of my pricing???

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Ok so I sell my build starting at $200 for a 2 stroke. $400 for a 4 stroke. My base price for labor os $150. Now all I make on the kits is my gas money to drive 20 miles to pick up the kit. My labor is where I make my money. Now say I run into complications. Such as milling a sprocket. I charge, with receipt, what I'm charged. Same thing if I have to take to a bike shop. Now I can take the criticism. What do you guys think of my pricing???
I have to say that's the other side of outrageous (on the low side)
do you start with new bikes or used? If you can still make money at that price
my hats off to you!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I believe it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, if someone is willing to pay what he is asking then it's worth it!

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Very valid point. If they wanna pay then by all means pay up sucker. My prices get someone on a bike and is a mostly a hobby.

hawaii_87

May 17, 2011
San Diego
Ok that may be so. But I felt frame with a Stumey Archer drum brake, custom keg style tank, billet aluminum motor mount, chromoly 3 piece crank, and a one piece mandrel bend glass packed pipe. Only thing I'm missing is a hub adapter for the nexus. And I only have $1500-$1700 invested.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I can build you this exact same race proven bike for $3,500. It is a stock Felt beach cruiser frame and a fully worked HF 212cc engine. Is this asking too much?

It is proven one of the fastest, most powerful bikes at the race track!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
So how much do you really expect someone to sell a motorized bicycle for $27.65 some of those prices are decent for a beginners M/B
Kit Cost
$160.oo + 20 to ship= $180.oo
Huffy Cruiser Bicycle
$129.oo +tax $11.oo + $ 139.oo
Labor cost $125.oo/150.oo
Total $489.oo
That's not a bad price, what's all the Cry'n about ? just wondering.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Most custom (and by custom I mean non-kit engines) bikes are worth what the builders ask for them. Custom bikes are different than kit bikes. My bike wouldn't leave my hands for less than $1500, but its not for sale at this time. The only time a custom bike is overpriced is if the builder did a crappy job. But custom bikes are in an entirely different category than kit bikes. I understand needing to make a profit, but for a kit bike I would pay the cost of parts plus 50 or so for labor, maybe 100 if they offered me a service plan or at least broke it in and worked out the bugs.