Pirate cycles, a second look.

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've had nothing but great service from Pirate Cycle going on 3 years now. My last order was just a few weeks ago.

My advise is if you don't like Pirate, don't buy from them, but starting a thread just to get people to badmouth the way they do their business is lame.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I have purchased from Pirates quite a few times with no issues. Orders were prompt and I was actually able to get them on the phone, though it was difficult.

I was wanting to purchase an item for my new build and had a few questions regarding the part and wanted to discuss it with them, but they have not responded to my emails or phone calls. It is what it is, but I would like to continue to do business with them because they have not sent me something I did not order....was correct every single time.

Just a little worried about pulling the trigger on this new part because this is a custom build and want to be sure it will work, but I cannot find that out if they do not respond.

Overall, I have been fully satisfied with Pirate Cycles

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I was wanting to purchase an item for my new build and had a few questions regarding the part and wanted to discuss it with them, but they have not responded to my emails or phone calls. It is what it is, but I would like to continue to do business with them because they have not sent me something I did not order....was correct every single time.
I guess what MasterShake and others are whining about is that they actually WANT to do business with Pirates as well, if only they communicated better.

They could boycott Pirates easily, but they complain, hoping they change the bad part of their business so they can order in confidence and not have to get the hassle of finding someone to talk to in case of a defect or some other concern.

If they did not like Pirates, they wouldn't complain, care if they changed for the better, they would just go elsewhere, but prefer not to.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I'll leave this one for now but if it turns into another flame war it'll go away same as the other one did.
Discussion is fine and beneficial. Arguments and name calling will not be tolerated here.
Keep it civil.

Tom
I have to question your judgement with allowing this thread. A recent thread of basically the same topic was closed and this one was just opened to continue the rant. The poster is not complaining about a purchase but wants to call out a vendor for poor customer service and demands they answer them here. The poster is not a customer and this vendor owes them nothing.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
All I can say is, (and this is not directed at any vendor in particular) as a seasoned pro or a complete newb, if I run across a site that tells you they are mainly Internet only, and they do not answer phone calls or Emails, I am probably just going to look elsewhere.

When I did the Felt, every vendor I got parts from I spoke with on the phone. SBP,Venice, OldBiker and a couple others came through when I needed it. I don't think Venice even sold me anything, he gave me some pointers that saved me some time and money. That is true customer service.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have to question your judgement with allowing this thread. A recent thread of basically the same topic was closed and this one was just opened to continue the rant. The poster is not complaining about a purchase but wants to call out a vendor for poor customer service and demands they answer them here. The poster is not a customer and this vendor owes them nothing.
The other thread was closed because of the arguments, name calling and hostility that prevailed. I posted the warning here to keep the same thing from happening again.

Constructive criticism, customer satisfaction/dissatification, pros and cons are allowed but open hostility and arguments are not.

I hope that clarifies it for you. And I'll repeat the warning. If you have strong disagreements with another member about any subject they are best taken up in a private message or the staff will intervene and stop the argument.

Tom

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
The other thread was closed because of the arguments, name calling and hostility that prevailed. I posted the warning here to keep the same thing from happening again.

Constructive criticism, customer satisfaction/dissatification, pros and cons are allowed but open hostility and arguments are not.

I hope that clarifies it for you. And I'll repeat the warning. If you have strong disagreements with another member about any subject they are best taken up in a private message or the staff will intervene and stop the argument.

Tom
And that my friends, makes for a happy playground!

Thank you!

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts

Tom
yeah, well I don't think this thread is going to cover anything that the other 15 just like it didn't.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
yeah, well I don't think this thread is going to cover anything that the other 15 just like it didn't.
Sir,
No one is forcing you to read this thread. If it holds no interest for you may I suggest you move on to something that does? You have not contributed anything to it except to question my judgement regarding forum rules.

Tom

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Sir,
No one is forcing you to read this thread. If it holds no interest for you may I suggest you move on to something that does? You have not contributed anything to it except to question my judgement regarding forum rules.

Tom
Yes, I questioned the wisdom of allowing a thread to replace one that had just been closed, so someone who hadn't even placed an order with Pirate could bash the forum supporting vendor. Is that not allowed? I've made my point and will take you're advice and move on.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...did it ever occur to you that with 15 threads on the topic that there might be some truth to what people are 'whining' about?

with that much smoke there just has to be some fire and as a recent customer of Pirate Cycles i'd say their customer service sucks, so i know for a fact that what people are whining about is in fact actually going on, they don't answer their phones with any regularity and they don't respond to e-mails!

...unless of course you are a long time customer with a longstanding relationship i guess, if you are a new customer it just isn't worth the hassle.

...and that is how Pirate Cycles is killing their business, turning new people away because they are too busy to answer the phone.

bozo

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
...unless of course you are a long time customer with a longstanding relationship i guess, if you are a new customer it just isn't worth the hassle.

...and that is how Pirate Cycles is killing their business, turning new people away because they are too busy to answer the phone.

bozo
There may be some truth to this, but I doubt it's killing their business.

They're too busy to answer their phone, and that says to you it's killing their business? I would tend to think it would be the other way around. If they have time to answer their phone, business isn't that good.

My guess is they already have all the business they want, or can handle, and don't care about growing it any bigger. I'm in the same situation in my 30 year old business and I almost never answer my phone either. People that get pissed off because of that, I hope will call someone else.

The business climate in America sucks right now. I only want as much business as I can handle without having to hire anyone. It's tough to get any work done when you spend all your time on the phone, or answering emails.

Pirates business model is set up as a ecommerce business. That means it works best when everything possible is done online. Just processing the orders, and keeping track of inventory is very time consuming.

If they rip people off, that's a legitimate complaint. That's never happened. Not liking the way they do their business is none of our business.

You might wish they would answer their phone, but if it's a matter of getting work done, I might rather they ship my parts before wasting my time having to wait while they talk to you on the phone. If they could do both, that's good to, but who are we to tell someone how to run their business.

Don't think I don't understand how you feel, really I do. I have to deal with it everyday in my business, trying to buy parts from very big business's, and it's frustrating as heck. Why won't they hire more people to answer the phones? That's life in America these days.

Have you guys ever though that the questions you'd like an answer to from these motor bicycle vendors could probably be answered on this forum just as well, maybe better, and with less bias? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
@ biknut, it's small time thinking to ignore your phone and your e-mails because you're 'too busy', ...what it really says is you don't value or respect your customers and that ERODES a business and that erosion will eventually kill the business.

...don't you think that 15 threads complaining about lousy customer service has cost Justin and Matt thousands? ...and that doesn't count any who don't come to this forum and just called Pirate Cycles to inquire about a bike because they saw them in the yellow pages.

...all you've done is give a myriad of excuses to allow that disregard for ones customers, to rationalize and justify bad business practices.

bozo

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
@ biknut, it's small time thinking to ignore your phone and your e-mails because you're 'too busy', ...what it really says is you don't value or respect your customers and that ERODES a business and that erosion will eventually kill the business.

...don't you think that 15 threads complaining about lousy customer service has cost Justin and Matt thousands? ...and that doesn't count any who don't come to this forum and just called Pirate Cycles to inquire about a bike because they saw them in the yellow pages.

...all you've done is give a myriad of excuses to allow that disregard for ones customers, to rationalize and justify bad business practices.

bozo
Well I can't really speak for Pirate, but in my case, my business is 30 years old. I never advertise. All my business is word of mouth. I have to turn away more new customers every year because I'm already booked from my steady customers who love to recommend me to their friends. I'm in a position where I can cherry pick who I'll work for. If anyone gives me trouble, they're out. When they call, 95% of the time they get the machine.

Has that hurt my business, probably, but do I care? No.

I think the situation with Pirate is most likely similar to mine, but in their case they probably have to work a lot harder, because I'm sure the profit margin is a lot less in motor bicycle parts than than it is in what I do.

I personally have been very happy with their service, and would hate for them to not be around.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
In my experience with business, in the brick and mortar world of small business, if you don't answer your phone during business hours, that looks BAD.
If that happens too much, rumors start going around that the business is going down hill, then it eventually will.

Now, I have zero dealings with them, I'm just giving my input on how people think.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
@ biknut, i hope you understand that i'm not trying to argue with you nor even to bash Pirate Cycles, as i've said before i'm a recent customer, i live close enough so i went to the shop for my first contact so didn't know about the customer service issue, ...at that first meeting i met both Justin and Matt and they seemed like ok guys to me so i ordered a made to order bike from them, nothing fancy, just a decent entry level Micargi cruiser and i have no complaints except that, as a first time customer, i spent several weeks struggling to reach them by phone and e-mail and wondering if my $400.00 deposit was gonna get lost in the shuffle.

...of course i argued with myself knowing that it was EXTREMELY unlikely they would jeopardize their reputation and business by stiffing me for a measly $400.00

...and of course they did keep their end of the bargain and i am thoroughly enjoying my new bike, i just broke a hundred miles today and i opened it up and hit 38MPH on the flat, and i weigh 200lbs, not too shabby for a stock china girl i'd say.

...which means that, over all i'm happy, with the caveat that i'm happy with the product but i'm NOT happy about the lack of customer service/respect and that means that i'm not only a first time customer, i'm a one time customer because i won't be going back, i've been lurking here long enough to know that there are multiple sources for pretty much everything so it's customer service, or lack thereof, that sets company's apart.

...believe me, i really wish i could rave about them like i can with SBP whose customer service is outstanding, heck, i've already made 3 small purchases from SBP and they have been johnny on the spot every time! ...you always come away feeling like Pablo is glad for your business and wants you to be happy.

...and here is dodge dude providing another example of exactly what i'm talking about with Pirate Cycles and how you kill a business, slowly, bleeding it to death.

peace, bozo

In my experience with business, in the brick and mortar world of small business, if you don't answer your phone during business hours, that looks BAD.
If that happens too much, rumors start going around that the business is going down hill, then it eventually will.

Now, I have zero dealings with them, I'm just giving my input on how people think.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Pirates should do this, pirates should do that, Pirates should answer the phone, Pirates should respond to Emails, Pirates should have better customer service, etc., etc., etc.

What is the reality - they don't don't meet your expectations. Stop living in a fantasy that Pirates should run their business according to your expectations. It's their business and they choose to run it their way. That is their prerogative. If you don't like it then don't order from them, go somewhere else or start your own business.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Captain should I tell them in the boat is sinking its taking on water no don't tell the men the next thing you know the one thirst stuff and their pay .

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
As a watcher, sitting here as this unfolds and having been in some sort of business for almost 60 years starting at the age of 10 with a paper route I see three ways you can handle this.

#1 As has been suggested don't bother with Pirate Cycles and find another vendor.

#2 Gather up a pile of cash and buy them out. That way you can run the business the way you feel it should be run. The boys at Pirate Cycles will be happy and so will you. Run the business from where you live just as an internet store. Saves overhead if you aren't a bricks and mortar store. You can set your own hours. My guess would be 7am to midnight will do it.

#3 Start your own store. Start small and work it up slowly like they did. It's all too easy to complain if you aren't doing it yourself. With all the expert advise I see offered here you will be profitable in no time and you will swamp the competition with goods and services. If you need advice post on here. There seems to be a bottomless pit of free advise here and my guess would be that you will get just what you pay for it.

Them as can are doing and those that can't are usually complaining about those that are.

Steve.