Is this bicycle special and rare?

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
If this is the wrong forum, I apologize, feel free to give me the boot!

My friend recently bought this bike at an auction in who-knows-where Montana. The story he got was that some rich guy ordered a matching pair for he and his wife (the other is missing). He wanted the latest and greatest, and these were said to have been a model rare in America, or some such thing. Sounds possible, but unlikely. He is not considering putting an engine on this bike.

Anyone here familiar with this bicycle? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
It has some value, but not much.

Although parts for it are hard to get. There bottom brackets, forks, seat posts all use "special" French sizes and threads...
Learned the hard way when I bought a bare peugeot frame and tried rebuilding lol

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
There are some collectible Peugeots. A PX-12 from the 70s should be. Some of the early Peugeot mountain bikes (early 80s) are even more rare.
In general, a vintage road bike with shifters mounted on the handlebar stem is not high end. The high end road bikes of that period usually had shifters mounted on the down tube of the frame. You can also look on the frame for a decal indicating high quality tubing like Reynolds, Columbus, Prestige (Tange), etc.
That being said, the Peugeot in your pic can make a nice lightweight cruiser or even a motorbike with some stiffer wheels and upright handlebars.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
The frame has a decal that reads:

Cadre Allege
Peugeot

There's no way my buddy would motorize it, no time. It does look like it would be a real arrow of a ride were it in condition. I once took a PE alternative class in high school called cycling. We rode bikes similar to this one for 45 minutes or so, showered, and went to the next class. Somehow I managed to have this class the last two periods of the day. Gotta love that public school edumacation!

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Exactly as maniac said...i have a womens version of a peugot road bike sitting under my porch collecting dust...i see high end bikes on cl all the time and write a few similar bikes for not much money at all...hope he didn't drop too much...
But as with anything, if he is happy with it then thats what counts...

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Good idea on the serial number. I'll have to look it over better.

NEW QUESTION: Any idea what this bike is worth as it sits. Everything seems to work. It's filthy, gummed up and on flat. New tires and some elbow grease, and you could ride it. As a guess I'm saying $30?