First Ride Today -- No speed control/Fuel leak

GoldenMotor.com

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Hey guys, so I rode my 2-stroke bike for the first time today, and a couple things went wrong:

-I felt like I had no speed control, when the motor started it quickly sped up and got really loud really fast when I hadn't moved my throttle at all. I disenganged the engine and hit the kill switch since I was worried that the engine was going to run as if I was at WOT as I heard it'd be bad for break-in.

I think it might be my throttle assembly and I should get a new one? On the cable/needle part that goes into the carb seems to stick out to the side like this (shouldn't it be straight?):

-I had a fuel leak, It was leaking from where the valve screws into the tank and where the fuel line hits the filter. I also noticed that this black ring seems to be off center.

*When I had my throttle installed, it felt really inconsistent (really loose at first, then as I pulled it got much more harder to pull)

So should I get a new throttle assembly/cable? Or is it installed wrong...?

I'm going to get some of that gas line yellow tape and just wrap that on all four points of my fuel line assembly. Do I need a new filter since that ring is off center?

Thanks guys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*****************************************************************************************
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLUTION:
(for future people who find this thread through the search function, I came back and edited the original post to save you some time :p)

Throttle Problem:
-When the carb was unattached and I looked through the inside where the needle/barrel is I saw that it did not close completely when the throttle was untouched.
*Throttle Solution:
-So I dis-assembled/re-assembled the entire throttle/carb build and now it's fixed. Don't know what I did exactly, but I guess I ahd done something incorrectly the first time.

Fuel Line Problem:
-So when I initially screwed in the valve to the tank, I had not used this red ring (about the size of a dime.) And that's where the leak was coming from. Also the tube attached to the valve was not on very tight (the tube of the valve where the fuel line connects to it is much smaller than where the fuel line connects to the fuel filter).
*Fuel Line Solution:
-I put some blue loctite on the threads of the valve (you can use a different number of things, from teflon tape to silicone sealant) and made sure to put that red ring on. I screwed the valve on nice and TIGHT so the red ring was really pressed on.
-Ordered smaller fuel line (3/16") and some zip-ties. (I'll replace those later with hose clamps.)

Credit to those who posted below!
(rspeccially 2Door, Venice Motor Bikes, and Kioshk!)
Thanks everybody, great forum.
brnot

Last edited:

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
Mine bends like that as well, but the throttle control is fine. Double check it's assembled correctly. You might have to ask for a replacement carb if it's a more complicated problem.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Your filter's fine.

Use zip-strips around your fuel-connections.

That bend in the barrel is also fine. It looks like your problem is that the screw on the top of its cap is fully extended; this will force the barrel/needle to be in WOT. Screw it all the way in and you should be okey-dokey.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Oh, to clarify: I am NOT referring to the idle-screw; it's the screw that the throttle-cable enters the barrel/needle assembly through as shown in your picture. There's a lock-collet around the base of that screw that you may need to loosen first. Once you've screwed it in and BEFORE you place it back in the carb, twist your throttle a few times and verify everything's moving properly.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
The black ring in the fuel filter is, I believe, a magnet for catching metal particles. If I remember correctly my stock filter had one of those.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
put some teflon tape on the threads of the petcock that screws into the tank

check that all adjusters on the throttle cable are set so that there is a bit of slack when the slide is at the bottom of the carb

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you putting the throtle barrel in correctly? It only goes one way. There are two slots in the sides of it. The longer of them goes to the right side of the engine, looking down at the top of the carburetor. The short slot goes to the left side and aligns with the idle speed screw. In fact the short slot is where the speed screw engages to adjust the idle speed.

Once you've inserted the barrel back in the carb and snugged down the cap, don't use a tool, just your fingers, remove the air filter and look down the throat of the carb and twist your throttle. You should see the barrel rise and fall as you move the throttle grip.

When released the barrel should be at or very near closed, no gap at the bottom. When you twist the throttle the barrel should be pulled upward and nearly disappear from view with the throttle twisted fully.

You probably know this but the throttle should twist counter-clockwise to open it when viewed from the right side of the bike, looking at the handlebars. I mention this because I watched a guy break his throttle by trying to force it the wrong way the first time he tried to ride his bike...no kidding. :(

Also do as Kioshk suggested and screw the cable adjuster in. That's the threaded part protruding from the top where the cable goes into the cap.

Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm also seeing the cable adjuster on the top of the carb needs to be screwed in (to give the cable some slack).

Also keep in mind what Tom said about the slider going in the carb in the right direction... There's a little 'pin' inside the carb body that fits into the long 'slot' on the side of the slider to keep it from turning; & also looking into the carb (with the engine off) to see that it fully opens & closes properly.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Alright thanks guys!
When I get a chance, I'll make sure all that throttle trouble is solved, and yes I was twisting the right way haha.
Ill zip tie all those fuel line parts, but what should I do about where the valve enters the tank? Is there some sort of putty I can place around there?
(Also another valve question: is it open if the arrow is pointing either towards the tank or towards the carb? Right now I have the arrow facing perpendicular to the fuel line.)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I use Permatex 1-B to seal the threads on the shut off valve.
If you have one of the newer tanks?, pointing the lever 'down' towards the engine is 'on', & pointing 'up' towards the tank is 'reserve'.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Uhmm I'm not sure if its a newer one, I bought this kit from you actually last summer so maybe you know haha. Its just I now had time to work on it

Ive been leaving it perpendicular the last few days.
So I dont have time during the week but I got the zip ties on last night and just 10 minutes ago it was leaking all over the place... from the filter area. Couldnt do much since I had to leave. I just left it there leaking. But how can it still be leaking days after leaving the valve off? Do fuel filters ever leak themselves? Also, it wont do much harm having all that gas over my engine until I get home and wipe it off will it? I would be more detailed but its hard to type all this on my phone

Oh heres a pic

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
If you zipped those down moderately tight, the leak ain't comin' from there...maybe the filter? Also, if your stop-cock is indeed in the off-position (make sure you actually look at the valve on the tank; should indicate ON/OFF/ON), it shouldn't still be leaking. Take a pic of that. Are you sure that the stop-cock isn't leaking and what you're seeing isn't the fuel running down the outside of the fuel-line and THEN dripping off the filter? Gas on the engine will cause no harm, but gas in the clutch-compartment can contaminate the clutch-pads causing them to slip.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Come on, sandwich, how hard can it be to isolate the source of the leak? :)
Dry everything off and use a clean paper towel to wrap around the fuel line at the petcock. Start high and work down. Watch it very closely and look for where you start seeing fuel on the paper towel.

I suspect your petcock (fuel valve) is the culprit. It might be leaking at the threads into the tank and it sounds as if it isn't closing off completely. That's not an uncommon condition. To check it, remove the fuel line from it and turn the lever until fuel stops flowing. In some cases 'off' isn't always exactly where it's supposed to be. In other cases the valve is defective and will not shut off.

Also, there is suppposed to be a gasket on the petcock where it threads into the tank. It's usually a small red one, a little less than dime size. Did you install it? The tank and petcock threads are not tapered pipe threads but machine threads and require a gasket to seal the two, tank and valve.

What size fuel line are you using? The photo makes it appear that it is larger than 1/4". Actually I prefer 3/16" tubing. That's the inside diameter measurement. 3/16" fits the barb on the carburetor better than 1/4". The kit supplied fuel line is not very good quality. It will harden after a short time so we always suggest replacing it with a better kind which you'll find at a lawnmower or motorcycle repair shop.

Let us know what you find.

Tom

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Lol sorry guys...
But ill do all that when I get home -- Ill make sure to find this red ring thing and reinstall my fuel line this weekend, going to order this "maxpower 3/16 fuel line" (I was using the line that came with the kit). If I feel like spending the extra $5 for that sealant, ill order it too.

I hope all goes well with my 2nd ride this weekend, thanks guys -- ill let you know what happens!

(Ps will post that pic of the valve later tonight)

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
If you zipped those down moderately tight, the leak ain't comin' from there...maybe the filter? Also, if your stop-cock is indeed in the off-position (make sure you actually look at the valve on the tank; should indicate ON/OFF/ON), it shouldn't still be leaking. Take a pic of that. Are you sure that the stop-cock isn't leaking and what you're seeing isn't the fuel running down the outside of the fuel-line and THEN dripping off the filter? Gas on the engine will cause no harm, but gas in the clutch-compartment can contaminate the clutch-pads causing them to slip.
You were right it was leaking down from the valve.

A picture of the shut off valve would really help. :/
Just got home, took a pic of it just now

Okay, that was REALLY MESSY. Oh Lord, it was everywhere...

I feel like I have so much to report I'll start with the leak:
-I took off the gas tank and the fuel line slipped right off the valve (I thought it was on tight too, but the place to slip on the fuel line is much smaller on the valve than on the other parts...) Yes, I know dumb mistake, but that's why I have you guys right? :)
-Then I got some blue loctite (all I had at the moment) and used that, found the red ring and screwed in the valve. I had lots of trouble screwing it in nice and tight, had to use some pliers and a good amount of force to finally get it on to my satisfaction. Unfortunately, the valve is now beat up looking from the pliers.
-When the valve is "off" none of the fuel leaks out.

-Okay, as for the throttle, I did what I think you guys suggested.

So the barrel fully opens at WOT, but doesn't fully close when the throttle is at untouched...
I also find that my throttle is still very inconsistent in feel -- At first it's really loose and doesn't move the barrel in the carb at all, then after a bit of rotating, it gets stiffer to rotate.
Here's a video of me attempting to show it...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzr9fd5k65xfic9/20130205_202159.mp4

Couple other questions...
1) The gas is literally everywhere, I tried to wipe it all off, but couldn't really get it all. (In the crevices of my kickstand and other small pocket-like locations.) I'm more worried that I found it all inside my carb, whenever I shook it, fuel would come out. Should I get a new carb, or will I be fine? I found one on ebay for only $11.

2) I'm still worried about where the valve sticks into the tank, is there some sort of tape I can put on there for a little more insurance?

Sorry for the really long post... just really want some help D:
When I get more knowledgable I'll give back into this basket we call motorbicycling.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I don't see any teflon tape on your petcock threads in first pic.

Slide should hit bottom when idle screw is removed - check ALL adjusters to get more movement - if all are as far as they will go, then CAREFULLY use a razor blade to take about 1/8 inch off the teflon track that pulls the cable inside the throttle grip