Selecting a 2 stroke engine

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Hi everyone!

My cheap 2 stroke engine died. My current engine is this one (T80) http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-6...7086035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b867 efd3 I'm looking to get a new 2 stroke engine to replace the broken one. I don't mind spending a little more for a slightly better built engine. My engine is only 5 months old and I have driven it less than 500 miles. I was pretty disappointed that it broke so quickly. Are most of these 66cc, 2 stroke engines so poorly made? I was thinking about getting one of these Grubee Skyhawk motors http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/grub...bike-motor-only-standard-finish_2909_prd1.htm Has anyone gotten one of these? Are they any good? Are they better than my T-80? I saw this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorized-B...4404436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bd95 52d4 Is this about the same as my current one? Here is an entire kit that is only $160, http://www.bikeberry.com/jet-silver-66cc-80cc-bicycle-engine-kit.html is it total junk? I don't mind spending a little more if the thing will go 3000 miles before it breaks.

My second problem is that I live in CA and none of the best vendors will send these engines to CA. We have an oppressive leftist government here that have outlawed sending 2 stroke engines into the state. The thing gets 150 mpg and they still claim it is bad for the environment. Leftists Suck!! I have a friend in NV that I might be able to send it to and then have them send it to me. What do you guys recommend? Which engine would you get if you were me? One of these or something else??
Thanks

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
You should try (Piston bikes). Around Nov. 20011 I order a Black Jet kit from them. Which ended up being a PK80. From what I have read about this engine is that, these engine were coveted for racing. Everything on the engine was good, even the bolts on the engine were good. There shiping was good. And they are in California, but don't know if they ship there.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't think it matters how much you spend, if it's a china girl style motor the quality will probably be about the same.

No two motors will be alike even from the same factory.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
i agree with the pk 80 being a excellant motor i got mine from pirate cycles 200 incl.shipping. it has the upgraded hardware already installed compared to my z80 from bgf its like nite and day, it has a more of a agressive growl, i will be buying another as that one was sold to a customer on a cranbrook. my first sale,yahooo. though i only broke even,its all about the build for me. the more i build the better i get.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i agree with the pk 80 being a excellant motor i got mine from pirate cycles 200 incl.shipping. it has the upgraded hardware already installed compared to my z80 from bgf its like nite and day, it has a more of a agressive growl, i will be buying another as that one was sold to a customer on a cranbrook. my first sale,yahooo. though i only broke even,its all about the build for me. the more i build the better i get.
What's different about?

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I don't think it matters how much you spend, if it's a china girl style motor the quality will probably be about the same.

No two motors will be alike even from the same factory.
I'm starting to think you are right. I guess nobody else is going to reply here. It seems the more of them I look at the more unsure I am on what to do. I wouldn't mide moving to a 4 stroke engine but that means buying an entire new kit also and that could get kinda pricy. I'm kinda leaning toward just getting 2 china specials ($76 each).

Since they are difficult to get shipped to CA, I think I better get 2 of them, haha. These are slants that "say needle bearing engine only ( no other parts)". Does this mean the rest of the stuff is junk?? Should I replace some stuff before I put it on to make them last longer?

I was checking out this engine, but I thought it might be too wide to mount and maybe to much power for a bicycle.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I'm having the same issue. I have a zoombicycles engine that I bought about 1-1/2 years ago and they no longer ship to the US from Canada (at least that I know of). Anyway the motor was running great then one day I took it out and I noticed a burning rubber smell then lost power. I checked it over and didn't see anything out of the norm so I thought it was the CDI as it wouldn't crank so I replaced it. Still no luck, limited power on hills and I don't have the time really to take the engine off, clean it, troubleshoot, repair it, then replace it. From what I've read it could be anything from a clogged exhaust to busted seals. I'm really limited on time with work, kids, wife etc.. So I'd like a bolt and go replacement. The other option as you mentioned is getting a 4-stroke.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm having the same issue. I have a zoombicycles engine that I bought about 1-1/2 years ago and they no longer ship to the US from Canada (at least that I know of). Anyway the motor was running great then one day I took it out and I noticed a burning rubber smell then lost power. I checked it over and didn't see anything out of the norm so I thought it was the CDI as it wouldn't crank so I replaced it. Still no luck, limited power on hills and I don't have the time really to take the engine off, clean it, troubleshoot, repair it, then replace it. From what I've read it could be anything from a clogged exhaust to busted seals. I'm really limited on time with work, kids, wife etc.. So I'd like a bolt and go replacement. The other option as you mentioned is getting a 4-stroke.
The only place I could find to send me a 2 stroke engine to CA is here. It's a pretty crappy kit, it doesn't even come with a kill switch but it was the only place I could get a kit. I purchased a new throttle with a kill switch from sick bike parts and it rode pretty good until the engine died after only about 500 miles, give or take. I don't want to buy that same engine again.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
The only place I could find to send me a 2 stroke engine to CA is here. It's a pretty crappy kit, it doesn't even come with a kill switch but it was the only place I could get a kit. I purchased a new throttle with a kill switch from sick bike parts and it rode pretty good until the engine died after only about 500 miles, give or take. I don't want to buy that same engine again.
Do you have any idea what went wrong? These are very simple engines to work on. 5 of 6 of my engines were gotten off Fleabay. With some simple modifications they are going strong since 3/2009.

Attachments

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Will thatsdax ship to cali? I've only heard good things about his ht engines. Its under parts, scroll down parts page 1 and you'll see 'em. I've only bought parts for a ht from him and have had no problems. I got a 66cc ht kit from Daemon Bikes up in Canada and i haven't had any issues with mine, but he shut down his site shortly after i got mine. I've gotta redrill my main jet, but thats just the carb. Engine and parts work great.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Do you have any idea what went wrong? These are very simple engines to work on. 5 of 6 of my engines were gotten off Fleabay. With some simple modifications they are going strong since 3/2009.
Bearings broke and got sucked into the cylinder scratching up the piston. See pics here. Still thinking about fixing it but I have purchased a new one here. They will send to CA and I'm waiting for delivery now.

virtuoso

Dec 21, 2014
dayton,oh
There only 3 companies left that are casting these engines...my buddy In shanghai said they are strictly export the local market is gone... You can tell the difference in manufacture by looking at the hardware... He was telling me the company that makes the engines for flying horse, mega, and jet etc... Sell the same motor with no name and the way to spot it is the mag is missing the white wire... This is because in their transition to the g3 they had to use up the rest of g2 parts and due to overcasting they simply used g3 parts to put the remaining g2 engines together... All new engines will now come with a built in cdi... Any engine with an external cdi is older stock... But right now eBay is flooded with good g2 engine casts with g3 parts...