CNS carb working great....

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
New problem. I noticed fuel leaking out of the bottom (clear) line from the float bowl after parking it overnight. Never happened before.
Rusty gave you good advise, that is the overflow tube, so if you have fuel coming out of it then the needle valve is probably not closing properly. If this is new behavior then I would suggest you clean the carb (needle valve) and that should take care of it, and make sure you float isn't taking on gas....

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Venting a gas tank will not cause a carburetor to overflow.

Take the carburetor apart and carefully clean it, paying special attention to the float needle valve.
While it is apart check the float height setting and correct it if necessary.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Anybody had experience with the CDI going bad suddenly ? I had it running great for weeks, shut it off as normal yesterday, today no fire.
Yes, I have heard of that happening, but this is kind of the wrong thread to ask about that, being a thread about the carb....

Search the forum for "no spark" and you will probably find better info, and/or start a new thread with an appropriate topic so people will find your question and help you out. In this thread your question is kind of hidden.....

PS Could be your cdi, wire, boot, problem with your magneto etc causing no spark, but I would prefer not to go into that discussion here in this thread about CNS carb tuning....

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I wanted to start a new thread here on the CNS carb, cause most of the threads are about problems, bogging, broken spacers etc. I have been through a couple week crash coarse on the CNS card and just recently got mine running super sweet, so I figured I a CNS carb success thread was in order....
First some background. I got a new Grubee SkyHawk GT-5 66cc kit this spring, it was a fresh kit dated 04-20-2011 with the newest CNS carb (C-32CNS66-EPA). After assembling I had a hard time getting her running, didnt know what to expect, eventually got her fired up after I realized it was going to take a lot of throttle to make her fire. I couldn't get idle unless I held in the throttle, once I had her rolling I could get a pretty good top end speed but never could get her to idle and slow riding was extremely rough.
I did a LOT of reading of forums etc, tried pulling the vent tube etc, I couldn't find the magic bullet to make this thing run. In the end it took a couple adjustments to get it running right. I waited until I went through the first two gallons of break in gas and moved on to my standard mix (32:1) before I bothered digging into tuning the carb cause I know the mix is going to effect everything.
The first problem with the carb was discovered accidentally. I had hopped on the bike and started riding without turning on the fuel. After running a bit the engine started running great all of the sudden, finally could almost get idle and I was getting better pull on the low end of the throttle. I was really happy, then she died... Failing to start her back up I quickly discovered the fuel valve was off. After turning on the fuel valve she started up but was running crappy again, no idle, dead throttle through most of the range etc. Connecting the dots to the fuel supply I turned off the fuel valve again and sure enough she started running sweet again for a short while then died. This behavior was consistently reproducible, so that got me thinking... Must be fuel level problem, so lets look at the float...
I was reluctant to open the carb on the new kit, I figured its new so it must be right. That's a bad assumption about anything to do with these china girl motor kits! When I finally decided to open up the carb I found it was no biggie. I also found that the screws holding the carb together were loose so I can only imagine it was one giant air leak, you should at very least check those screws before you install your new carb. Also, in the process of working on the carb the fuel inlet nipple fell off, I guess it wasn't pressed down far enough at the factory. Now I know where that little bit of fuel was coming from that would crop up every once in a while!
If you have the carb on the bike you should turn off the fuel and try to burn out as much fuel from the line and carb as possible before you remove it. After you remove the carb unscrew that one screw at the bottom of the bowl that has the red gasket behind it, that is the drain screw, the remaining gas will drain from the carb when the screw is out. Next flip the carb upside down and remove the four screws from the bowl and pull it off. You now have the carb opened up and are looking right at the float.
My next post will be about the float....
Great read NT Thank you for your efforts you have helped so many folks. I did just like you said "I'm gonna toss this thing on fresh out of the box before I have a chance to screw anything up on it"

Well I did just that and after a few sputters and a clank , clank or two I hopped off to see every possible spot that could leak gas was leaking and what wasn't leaking gas was sucking air That's when I found your thread here!.My 4 yr old Nephew could prob. make a carb out of cardboard and screen that would leak less than this thing did today

I have one question NT I hear of CNS v/ 1 & v~2 Now mine doesn't have that brass vent nipple on the top I see everyone else has.

Mine is sealed off from the factory. I'm guessing this is the version 2. Ive pretty much made up my mind I'm going back to my stock, never leaks, always true, starts every time, I want it too NT.

I'm gonna use the fancy choke cable set up from the CNS on the NT choke lever So I don't have to do the ole reach around & down any more. I think I will take the CNS and see what a Louisville Slugger will do to it with one Big Papi home run swing .[/I]

Last edited:

tonyskrazykustoms

Mar 17, 2012
port orchard, WA
hey just wanted to clear something up with the needle valve. you say the pointed side is supposed to go up in the tube? i ask cause i have rebuilt bike carbs before for like dirtbikes and what not and i thought the pointed side is always against the float?...
if im wrong will some one get back to me asap?
i want to know if they had it in there backwards from the factory? or was it in there right

AWSOME THREAD BY THE WAY!! ALOT OF HELP!!

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The float valve is called a needle and seat valve. The pointy (needle) end always goes towards the seat which is up inside the "tube". Speaking of carbs in general, the other end of the needle portion of the valve can be all sorts of shapes ranging from a plain looking smooth rounded end, a mushroom end where a groove just underneath the head of the mushroom fits in between the center gap of a two prong fork looking piece attached to the float arm, and the most common these days is a small spring loaded plunger that slides up inside the body of the needle.
Also, most modern needles have a rubber tip on them. The pointy end is actually made of a gas resistant rubber to help seal better against the seat and reduce wear on the seat/ needle seal which promotes longer life and a higher resistance to damage caused by debris getting stuck up in there.
Sadly, the common China Girl carb does not have this modern feature.

Last edited:

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
hey I was running into a few issues with my cns today

now the other day I drained the gas tank, and bowl for storage but decided to ride the bike today

I kept running into problems
basically on WOT runs it would run fine, then slowly start to slow down some
so I flip the fuel lever then it may start to run fine may not
So I had to work the enricher lever about half way then it would come alive for a little while, then I could turn the lever off

happened quite alot today

So ive remembered reading something about this in the past using the choke/enricher to get it to run properly
but I cant remember what the fix was

Im quite certian the jetting is fine, and im sure it wasnt seizing
just seemed like a lack of fuel if the enricher made it instantly better
if anything im too rich plug is a dark brown, not a tan
I even went to 23:1 from 32:1 just to be leaner and have been running that since I jetted the cns carb so its had at least 1 gallon of 23:1 in it

I was also wondering if it was because I filled the tank too much and on the very first ride fuel was vibrating all out the cap
I was wondering if that kept the air from getting in, as my cap fits super tight anyways
its really hard to pull out

ALso the needle clip was all the way up high(lean) but ive rode it that way alot and it worked fine
But I put it back to center then rode it more and had those same bogging issues
so I dont think it was the needle

I took the carb apart, maybe the pilot could of had something in it, there was alot of silt in the bowl

So after the cleaning I was riding it very hard around the neighborhood, all seems good but I wont know until I ride it again back in the same place

I was thinking it was the float but its still at the correct level, and seems to move freely

I may of been using a filter I never tried before but its the same type I used when it was working just a new one. If it was oiled it was 2 weeks ago I dont even see any oil on it dont think thats an issue
so what could it be

gas cap not venting properly?
pilot jet partially clogged, silt in the bowl?

dont think I have any air leaks, I had sealant on the intake and carb mount and all bolts were tight, none have been taken off since it was mounted a while ago

I did drill one micro hole in the cap, just to vent it for sure

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
So this is what I have
#72 drill bit main jet

Went riding again after the bike sat for a few hours and the high speed bog came back. I had to use the enricher lever then it ran fast.
So I put the needle down 1 past center (richer)
When going 3/4 throttle or a hair more it runs fast, then full throttle it slows down just a touch. Barely noticeable. From the little I know and alot I forgot I thought that meant lean.

So I opened up the main jet to a #70 drill bit.
Now it has even power through the throttle twist, I kept the needle that one setting richer
Now up this hill I didnt have to pedal the last 15 feet it went up it just fine

Which makes sense because today the hills were murder on my bike while others with the stock carb were flying past me
I even have 4 teeth larger rear sprocket, but I am dragging a cen clutch with all that extra rotating mass I expect to slow a little

So maybe it was the new filter just flowed a touch different then the exact same type I had on there before

Will test tomorrow again to be sure the jetting does someting

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
SDCruiser,

Wow!
A whole lot of things going on there!

Overall, IMO, it seems likely there was a bit of debris affecting the performance of the carb. It may have passed it through, it may still be there, or there may be more on the way.

Seems to be causing intermittent, on again, off again problems.

The only thing you can do is work your way through the problem, a step at a time.

You mentioned a filter above, but I can't recall you said specifically that you had a fuel filter in the line. They are necessary, primarily because these jets and other internal passages are so small, and easily clogged, or at least influenced by debris.

Best to focus on one thing at a time, and don't introduce new variables.
You did not mention what specific mix oil you are using, but IMO, if you are using a common mix oil, you should be at a 32:1 ratio and stay at that mix until your particular problems are resolved.

A chinagirl spits back out the carb sufficiently that you shall never need to oil the air cleaner foam. It might even become excessively clogged over a period of time, but that probably hasn't happened yet. So don't focus on that.

Only other thing that occurs to me at this time is that in spite of the 48T rear sprocket you now have? you may be expecting too much performance from the little motor. Hills will always be hills!

Good luck
rc

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
SDCruiser,

Wow!
A whole lot of things going on there!

Overall, IMO, it seems likely there was a bit of debris affecting the performance of the carb. It may have passed it through, it may still be there, or there may be more on the way.

Seems to be causing intermittent, on again, off again problems.

The only thing you can do is work your way through the problem, a step at a time.

You mentioned a filter above, but I can't recall you said specifically that you had a fuel filter in the line. They are necessary, primarily because these jets and other internal passages are so small, and easily clogged, or at least influenced by debris.

Best to focus on one thing at a time, and don't introduce new variables.
You did not mention what specific mix oil you are using, but IMO, if you are using a common mix oil, you should be at a 32:1 ratio and stay at that mix until your particular problems are resolved.

A chinagirl spits back out the carb sufficiently that you shall never need to oil the air cleaner foam. It might even become excessively clogged over a period of time, but that probably hasn't happened yet. So don't focus on that.

Only other thing that occurs to me at this time is that in spite of the 48T rear sprocket you now have? you may be expecting too much performance from the little motor. Hills will always be hills!

Good luck
rc

I have about 4 gallons of fuel through the engine maybe more.
1 gallon 16:1
1 gallon of 23:1
2 gallons 32:1
and over 1/2 to 1 gallon of 23:1
I know what to expect out of the bike, how it runs
I think I have enough time on it
I had only changed the fuel to get the jetting leaner at the time, adding more oil make it leaner
easier then dicking with the jet

Yes I have another filter, a nice glass one. It has alot of sediment in there. Even my fuel line because its ran almost horizontally has a small trail of black gold sitting in it. Im guessing all this is from the tank.

When I took out my jet the bowl still had little bit of black gold in it, even though I had just cleaned it couple hours ago. But im willing to bet there has always been that stuff in the bottom.

At first I was thinking it was the gas tank filter clogged since I had drained the tank through the line the other day
but now I dont think it was that, or the gas cap. Even though when we were out in the hot sun I could hear the fuel sucking air through the gas cap. Like its not venting properly
Thats why I drilled a micro hole in the cap

and I am doing one thing at a time
the only change was the filter but its the same exact type
and only rode it a little not enough to notice anything bad

first was the carb cleaning, hole drilled in gas cap

second was the needle to richer

third was the needle to leaner

fourth was the upjet, and needle to center

I just dont want to drive it in the dark with cooler weather
I like to tune it in the same weather I ride in, just incase the slight difference messes with it

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well, it does sound like you are on track to a solution!
Most likely it was crud in the fuel line or tank...

Gosh, that's a first for me, to find someone who could actually hear the fuel tank drawing a vacuum! Must be a huge petcock you got on there!

Still, IMO, adjusting your burn by the amount of mix oil in the fuel doesn't seem like a good practice, to me. I suppose there might be folks who would do it.

Good luck
rc

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
Well, it does sound like you are on track to a solution!
Most likely it was crud in the fuel line or tank...

Gosh, that's a first for me, to find someone who could actually hear the fuel tank drawing a vacuum! Must be a huge petcock you got on there!

Still, IMO, adjusting your burn by the amount of mix oil in the fuel doesn't seem like a good practice, to me. I suppose there might be folks who would do it.

Good luck
rc
sitting around in the sun engine off you can hear the noise
not when its running

when I jetted the overly rich cns carb, even though everyone here says they come lean it was easier to change the oil mix. I think I tried 3-4 drill bits
most all I had to solder in the jet, all done at night
I was done racing around back and forth all night trying all needle positions

I dont have the patience for 2-3 day jetting. Ive done that in the past and am done with that.

Plus I wanted a more oil overall, we ride these hard on and off road so I want more lube and since before it was rich anyways why not add more oil takes care of 2 things at the same time

I just see no point in jetting it leaner, only to use 32:1 oil mix

I had the exact same top speed between those 2 mixes, I even used a gps to get my top speeds on the same piece of road in front of my house. So oil ratio gave no performance gains

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
So what about having to use the enricher to get the boost and get back to top speed
since it allows more fuel in, doesnt that make sense then I needed to upjet

or would I need to use the enricher the entire time to say a upjet is what needs to be done?

I have read this in the past, and im searching now for it but I just cant remember what the normal fix was when someone had to use the choke to get it to run properly

Back when I thought I had the carb dialed in anytime I used the enricher, on purpose just to test it would instantly loose alot of speed
and doing that enricher with my left had almost throws me off the bike from the fast loss of speed

It did that same thing tonight after I upjetted
where earlier today it would of just given me a boost or power or no change

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
So maybe it was the new filter just flowed a touch different then the exact same type I had on there before

Will test tomorrow again to be sure the jetting does someting
Yes, a change in the dampering of the air filter will change the tuning of the carb. Think of it like this, the piston creates a suction, the dampering of that suction by the air filter forces the carb to pull fuel through the tiny hole of the jet. If you damper the filter more there is more suction on the jet, plus less air, so richer mix. If you lessen the dampering on the filter you have more air and less fuel, so a leaner mix. If you change the filter type, or even when the filter gets oily and clogged she will likely run different...

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
probably the filter

just cant imagine that as the old and new are exactly the same
sure I could of oiled both of them differently but I did the oiling the same exact way

But who knows the quality of them or what they are made of
This is why I should of rode it more when I put the new filter on, but im at the point where I dont ride the bike anymore because I got so many other toys to mess with

But I will make sure its setup correctly tomorrow so when I do put it away for a while it will be all set

I pulled out a old stand up scooter I didnt use for a few months
had to put another style filter on that one because I stole the old one off of it for a dirtbike
and that I had to change the high speed screw 1/2 leaner because it would bog out and die trying to accelerate from a dead stop
Now it runs great, but I was expecting something to change with an entire different designed filter

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
So what about having to use the enricher to get the boost and get back to top speed
since it allows more fuel in, doesnt that make sense then I needed to upjet

*there is really no 'boost' available to a two stroke engine without a turbo, or supercharger. An expansion chamber designed properly for an engine will send a pressure wave back into the cylinder, though. Perhaps this is what you are thinking of?

If you feel an increase in power and speed, when running at WOT and engaging the enrichen circuit, your main jet is too small and should be drilled to a larger size. *

or would I need to use the enricher the entire time to say a upjet is what needs to be done?

*If your enrichen circuit must be on all the time for something closer to suitable running it would indicate the carb is totally gunked up, the needle valve is restricted, or the fuel delivery system is somehow plugged. (Which would include a vacuum developing in the tank from improper venting.)

I have read this in the past, and im searching now for it but I just cant remember what the normal fix was when someone had to use the choke to get it to run properly

Back when I thought I had the carb dialed in anytime I used the enricher, on purpose just to test it would instantly loose alot of speed
and doing that enricher with my left had almost throws me off the bike from the fast loss of speed

It did that same thing tonight after I upjetted
where earlier today it would of just given me a boost or power or no change

*A properly tuned engine, running at operating temperature, would normally drop in rpm when the enrichen circuit is engaged, while running along at operating speed. When idling, that should kill the engine.

*The problem here is typical chinagirl CNS design flaw.
They are NOT a good carburetor and it is extremely difficult to tune them properly.
I'll bet there are many people who have been able to do it adequately, but I have not yet heard of someone who can tune one to the degree that a mikuni or dellorto may be dialed in precisely for maximum power through the operating rpm range.

*Things creep up on me slowly. :)
It does seem as though you have considerable experience.
I am thinking the problem here is that you are failing to take notice that the HT/chinagirl is a marginal product and has very little quality.

The overall design is antiquated, the engineering shabby, metalurgy and castings always questionable, and the production, assembly, and quality control are always atrocious. Integrity is lacking.

Keeping all that in mind, they are a heck of a lot of fun, and may deliver service, on that scale, for a very modest pricetag.
The Al.Fisherman pre-assembly teardown for inspection, and small parts replacement can be of significant value for every new buyer.

IMO you should purchase an inexpensive NT carb, jet it suitably, and run it 'til the other typical chinagirl discrepacies arise.

The NT design is superior, and simpler.

Good luck
rc

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
the only reason im using this carb is its a better performer then the stock
since I use a cen clutch with a stock carb properly jetted the bike would vibrate accelerating

with the cns its smooth, almost like it puts out a little more power from a dead stop

both carbs top speed was about the same, nothing to drastic of a change
and the throttle response with the cns feels better

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
So now with all this new knowledge about this carb. I'll try again!:-|| I too am minutes away from ordering the NT... But You have inspired me with new hope
Thank you for your time, thought and post...on this carb. very useful.