Cheers from Arizona!

GoldenMotor.com

alphaBETAdog

Jul 2, 2010
Arid-Zona
Hi folks,

Just joined up on this forum and am looking forward to learning all about these MBs. Been interested since seeing a new Whizzer a few years ago, and more recently a 2S MB up in Prescott. I've toyed with the idea of building an electric motorcycle, but like the idea of making a powered bike using my old Trek mountain bike for just zipping around the neighborhood and to the store. I've rode motorcycles for over 30 years, both street and dirt, but currently ride dual-sport with my Beta RS450 which I really like. I've had several Moto Guzzis, which are wonderful machines, but now like to stay off the busy streets and highways. I've built and flown a couple of homebuilt airplanes (Challenger UL, Sonex) but currently lost interest in flying. Live in Scottsdale AZ with my wife and son. Have own business, and the desire and mechanical ablility to try something new. Thanks for having me!

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. If you have built and flown your own airplanes, I don't think you will have too much trouble motorizing a bicycle.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi Dog, welcome,
I am in the North West Valley, a par 3 due south of ASU West.

I too have my own biz here, computers for 27 years but just started an MB biz a couple of months because they are pretty fun to build and with Sheriff Joe's DUI arrests there is an abundance of "transportation challenged" people in the valley that could use a quality one.

Check out my web site, it will give you some tips on some alternative ways to build them.

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
Hi Dog, welcome,
I am in the North West Valley, a par 3 due south of ASU West.

I too have my own biz here, computers for 27 years but just started an MB biz a couple of months because they are pretty fun to build and with Sheriff Joe's DUI arrests there is an abundance of "transportation challenged" people in the valley that could use a quality one.

Check out my web site, it will give you some tips on some alternative ways to build them.
What a great way to bring positive attention to this so loved hobby. Now thats thinking:oops:

Adam

alphaBETAdog

Jul 2, 2010
Arid-Zona
Thanks for the warm welcome! I would expect this MB group is a good bunch of guys. I've already checked out KC's and AZBill's websites - good stuff there - thanks!

I'm thinking of starting off simple with just putting a 2stroke kit on my old Trek 850, and start massaging it from there. Still doing research and reading lots of posts here on motorbicycling.com

Any rallys or informal ride-ins in the Phoenix area?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm thinking of starting off simple with just putting a 2stroke kit on my old Trek 850...
I recommend against using an old bike for your first build.
Unless the bike is in near shape you really want to start with a new bike so when you have operation problems you won't have to troubleshoot/fix the actual bike itself.

You can get a beach cruiser from Wallmart or K-Mart for ~$120.
Use it to mess around, experiment and learn with.
Once you get the jest you can move your already broken in motor/drive-train parts to a nice frame.

That's how I would start if I got it do over again anyway ;-}

alphaBETAdog

Jul 2, 2010
Arid-Zona
Hi KC,

I respect your advice. My trek is in great shape and I would ride it today if it wasn't so hot! All the componets work fine, but it has the usual scratches from 20 years of use. I have it set up for comfort and fit with hi handlebars and wide seat, but would probably want to fit it with more cruiser tires than the narrower citi tires I have on it now. Still think I shouldn't use it? My thinking is; I already own it and don't ride it much, and if I mess up the whole thing and decide to scrape the whole motorization idea, I can more easily convince myself to buy a updated/upgraded citi bike that I sorta wanted anyway...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sure dog, sounds like a good enough bike.
It was rather nice for riding this weekend for July, I put some break-in miles on a new bike.
I live about 1/4 mile from the canal and love to ride there, it's like the autobahn for motorized bikes ;-}

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Sure dog, sounds like a good enough bike.
It was rather nice for riding this weekend for July, I put some break-in miles on a new bike.
I live about 1/4 mile from the canal and love to ride there, it's like the autobahn for motorized bikes ;-}
A guy here in Sunnyslope says he was told by a cop not to ride his MB on the canals.

cvlt1