New Q-Matic ?? 2-Matic ???

GoldenMotor.com
What if?

What if someone designed a revolutionary new 2-speed automatic clutch for a 4-stroke motorbike?

What if the 2-speed drive meets or exceeds many state requirements of “incapable of being manually shifted”?

What if the drive was 100% mechanical, and didn’t require hydraulic fluid or a grease reservoir?

What if someone designed a 2-speed clutch that could work on both low & high RPM motors?

What if the 2-speed drive is designed to take advantage of current belt drive advancements?

What if an American 2-speed drive offered over 10 different RPM stall speeds and shift speeds from 18 MPH to 30 MPH?

What if the 2-speed clutch was able to start the “ticking” RPM as low as 1250 RPMs or as high as 3100 RPMs?

What if the 2-speed clutch included a feature that allows the shift speed to be modified?

What if the 2-speed system used easy to obtain maintenance parts [if ever needed]?

What if the 2-speed automatic drive system’s features included easy to change drive ratios?

What if the 2-speed drive is quiet, and has a high power transfer rate?

What if the 2-speed drive protects the owner with a safety cover?

What if the 2-speed drive operates at a lower temperature than most drives?

What if the 2-speed drive were to use innovative “proven” idler technology?

What if an American company was currently building & testing a 2-speed drive system?

What if a company were to mass-produce a 2-speed automatic clutch in the
USA?

What if the 2-speed clutch would fit an existing popular drive system and could be offered as an upgrade?

OK we confess! The rumors are true!

Let us know if this would be of interest.

Have fun,

Your friends at EZM

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi all, those of you who have had the pleasure of riding either Honda's GXHA 50 or Hau Sheng's 142F will already know that they have a very nice power band, and have excellent hill-climbing abilities for their size and application.

I ride both brands, my Honda is a Silent Power Manual, and the HS is currently a prototype Q-matic design, not as refined as production models, but a good performer nonetheless. As a heavy rider I have come to appreciate the little OHV's pulling power which far exceeds the common 2-stroke Chinese Bicycle engine, or even the larger displacement Whizzers (in stock form).

Our new 2-speed will offer the best of both worlds in a STREET LEGAL PACKAGE. Yes, less than 50cc's, less than 2hp, and a fully automatic 2-speed transmission with automatic clutch.

This alone is a major breakthrough, notwithstanding the excellent performance already available in the single-speed Q-Matic.

This is the future of Motor Bicycling!

Mike Simpson
EZ Motorbike Company

Hi GearNut,

The price depends on the amount of interest. If we produce in larger quanities the price will go down. So far the prototypes look to be approx $100 higher than the Q-Matic, but if the interest is high [volume] we can reduce mfg cost.

We have several dealers that have expressed an interest and have asked us to make additional prototypes for them to test.

If the MB folks want the 2-speed we will make it, and as always quality will be the most important issue.

We decided to make it fit the Q-Matic as an upgrade to keep cost as low as possible. This means all Q-Matic owners will be able to ugrade at a reduced cost and only pay for needed parts. It also means everyone can use the Q-Matic drive until we start production on the 2-speed.

We will be producing a small quanity for testing because we consider it important to make sure it is "bullet proof". If enough are interested we might consider making additional units for a few to help us with the testing.

Have fun,

Hi GearNut,

I suspect it will be less, not sure of the final price until we shop prices from our vendors. We are hoping to offer it for approx $700.00 [complete 4-stroke kit], but MSRP will be based on cost to mfg. We will just as hard on the 2-speed to keep the price down and still use American labor and parts when possible as we did the Q-Matic. We were able to keep the Q-Matic within $9.75 of the price of our original "Silent Power" manual drive, so we understand how hard it is to bargain with American companies.

We consider the "2-Matic" to be the top of the EZM product line and don't expect it to replace the successful Q-Matic, just an upscale option.

In order to keep cost down we will use existing componets from the Q-Matic drive. Thus allowing the Q-Matic to easily be upgraded to the 2-speed. The 2-speed shares the same drive plate [slight modifications], MaxTorque clutch [slightly modified], bearings, bearing support brackets, safety cover, keyed shaft, pulley, and assembly hardware. The 2-speed of course will contain additional parts in order to shift [change ratios].

With the safety cover installed it will be impossible to tell the difference from the "Q-Matic" and the "2-Matic".

We currently hope that Jim at MaxTorque will mfg the drive part of our system, but it all depends on cost.

Have fun,

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
The 2-speed shares the same drive plate [slight modifications], MaxTorque clutch [slightly modified],
So I am guessing that the slight modifications on the drive plate would be drilling some holes?

And this slightly modified clutch, I am guessing that it we wouldn't be modifying our own clutches. So it would be something included in the upgrade kit?

And none of these modifications would prevent us from converting back to one speed would they?

That being said, sounds good to me.

So did you go with belt or chain?

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Jared, at this stage it appears that the new 2-speed can be built into a Q-matic drive with a couple of drilled holes and the new components. It will use the standard chain (41) for rear drive, with belts and other components inside.

Yes it could be converted back and forth using the appropriate parts.

Mike

Hi Jared,

In order to keep the cost down on the new 2-speed we need to use as many existing production parts as possible. Our goal was to fit the new drive into the current and earlier production Q-Matic drive systems. Not only does this concept reduce cost but also allows the Q-Matic to be upgraded to the 2-speed system without buying an entire new drive. Future production drive plates will be mfg. to accept either system and therefore the changes will be possible on the existing systems.

We are currently designing the new plate and it appears the majority of the changes are based around the location of the internal idler system. We are working on adapters for the clutch in order to allow "in field" upgrades, and will be supplied in the 2-speed upgrade kit. The new system will contain more parts than the Q-Matic and we are working with MaxTorque in engineering special clutch systems to not only connect the motor to the wheel, but as part of the shifting process.

As Mike stated in an earlier post the primary drive will remain belt drive and the secondary will remain HD chain output.

The system is so advanced we are in the process of both copyrighting and patenting the design.

We currently have working versions and in the process of making several additional prototypes for testing, and as always EZM will log thousands of miles on the prototypes prior to production [an EZM policy].

All Q-Matic drives are both backward and forward compatible, meaning the drive can be upgraded or reverted to its original form. This design allows owners to install the Q-Matic on thier motors and not have to wait to ride their motorbikes until the 2-speed is in production.

Thank you for the great questions, and I hope I answered them completely, if not just ask again.

Have fun,

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks like a great setup. I wish you guys the best. It's good to see so much innovation and be able to say "made in America"... the future of motorbicycling is in 4 strokes, much as I like the 2 stroke kits to tinker with. Developments like yours keep improving the ease and reliability of motorbicycles as transportation and not just a hobby.
SB

Hi Everyone,

We had to stop working on the 2 speed at the moment in order to work on version 6 of the Q-Matic. We have made a few minor changes to the Q-Matic and have had to spend extra time to increase production in the process.

We are aslo waiting for a few proto-type parts for additional testing on the 2 speed. We are currently working on reducing the width of the 2 speed to allow it to fit the current Q-Matic system. Our test drive is working well, but we want to test it after we reduce the width. The majority of the final design is worked out, but we need to consider the easiest way to assemble to cost to a minimum.

Have fun,

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If you need any prototypes to be tested by a mechanically skilled rider....look no further. And yes, I would be interested, especially in a 2-speed set-up for my HuaSheng 49cc cause we have hills in San Diego and I like to go fast. I raced mtn.bikes for over 10yrs. on teams including Specialized Team Big Red and Cantina Mtn. Bikes "Bomb Squad". I ride everyday...

Cheers,
Scotto-

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Like others, I'm interested in seeing your prototype 2 speed and of course we want everything right now if not yesterday. I appreciate that you wait to release products when they are right and that you keep tweaking a design even when you think you're done and "this is it!" It is what has made the regular Q matic so appealing to me over the past year as I've been contemplating what life would be like in the four stroke lane.
On my own scale as a very amateur builder I have learned to be patient as well. I recall my first build when I wanted to be done and riding as quickly as possible... after all, the hype was that it would only take a few hours and I would have a moped. Right. It took a lot more than a few hours and wasn't a moped worth riding with the drive chain jumping the rear sprocket, the engine poorly mounted, etc. Now when I do a build I think more in terms of months and want each to be better than the one before.
Eager as I am to see your new 2 speed, I can wait as I'm confidant it will be well worth the waiting for.
SB

Motobladester

Aug 5, 2010
Evanston, Illinois
Hey, I saw your awesome videos, and that's really a great looking great running bike. But what is the new clutch system about , is it a CVT or what? Whatever it is appears to work!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Hey, I saw your awesome videos, and that's really a great looking great running bike. But what is the new clutch system about , is it a CVT or what? Whatever it is appears to work!
Hopefully a CVT, but then it wouldn't be a 2-speed, it would be a v-speed. So a cvt it isn't...it could be an or what howeverlaff