Engine storage

GoldenMotor.com

Billy91

Nov 16, 2009
New Hampshire
Hello all, I'm kind of new to this and not real mechanically inclined.
So far I love the 2 stroke bicycle world.
I bought 2 66CC kits last year. One of them was placed outside my house still in its package. I got lazy & also forgot about it. It was kept dry, but sat out side the entire winter (New Hampshire) Do I have any worries? Could it be rusted inside or anything I should know or do. I'm putting it on a bike in my basement soon.
Thanks!
Bill

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If it was kept dry it's fine. Winter "storage" for engines usually refers to draining/adding preservative to the fuel and can even be as extensive as using a fogging oil to prevent internal corrosion.

As yours is still packaged, there should be a thin film of oil on all the parts anyway - so long as it's kept out of the wet, it doesn't care what temperature it is outside ;)

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Hello and welcome to the forum: For winter storage the spark plug should be removed and oil put into the cylinder-then rotate crank a few times-then leave piston at top dead center-then spark plug back in........This is nessesary because when motor sits and is exposed to changing temperatures between very cold and warm,CONDENSATION WILL HAPPEN ON THE INSIDE. when spring comes it will be a little stuborn to start and will smoke for a short while.:):):):)