Planning in Vermont

GoldenMotor.com

Hazmatt

Sep 15, 2009
Vermont
Howdy All,
I am currently laying plans to build my first bike this winter.
I am looking to start @ less than $400. I would appreciate all advice.
Thanks!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum.
$4oo budget is plenty for a two stroke motor bike. You might be able build a four stroke for that if you dont have to spend too much on the bicycle.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ah, a Vermonster ;)

Welcome to the boards! Yeah, $400 is plenty enough to build yer first, that's about what I have in mine...

but then come the upgrades and mods :D

Hazmatt

Sep 15, 2009
Vermont
So,
I got two bike options already sitting in my dungeon.
First, an almost cherry 1960-70 columbia single speed womens bike. It's in amazing shape and runs like a top. It's just a little small for me and well, it's a girls bike. That's not really an issue though cause I'm planning on making a custom gas tank any who. Is it worth screwing with such a nice old bike?
Option two is a new mongoose mountain bike. It's a few years old and has some minor issues but it fits me perfect, I'm 6'2".It also has really strong brakes. But, I really want an old school look, what do you guys think?
zpt

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Pics are a huge help but I bet the woman's bike could be a real pain for a first build, I'd recommend the mountain bike for the ease of build, the good brakes, and the fit you mentioned.

A first build is always a learning experience :p Why not save the bike you like better for the next? That'll give you time to do it up right.

O'course it's up to you - but I built my bike with the "prototype" idea in mind and I'm glad I did. Much as I love it, it mostly showed me what to do differently next time :D

and there will be a "next" lol - it's an addiction o_O

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Barely is right. Your first build should be simple and reliable.
After you have the hang of things, you can transplant your motor kit to
a dream bike or use a new kit.

Hazmatt

Sep 15, 2009
Vermont
How do you guys fit the clutch lever on with the brake levers?
Do you just have 2 levers on one side?
Simple question, but it confuses me.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I slide the brake lever in and have the full length lever just about horizontal, then I have the clutch at a forty five degree angle and where the brake used to be clamped.

This way I can "two finger" the brakes and pull the clutch in simultaneously. The space between the lever mounts is for whenever I manage to find clamp on mirrors that I actually like lol There is a dual brake lever available from some of the dealers, but I'm picky and like individual control with front and rear brakes. I rarely use the rear for example.

But I ride hard and there's interesting terrain around here, some like having a coaster brake... some have only a coaster...

I would die :p

edit: A handy tip I got here btw is that bit o'old inner tube on my grip, the clutch lock pin leaves much to be desired and that chunk of inner tube holds the clutch in nicely for those long pedal-powered rides (I shut down the engine in town usually).

Last edited:

Hazmatt

Sep 15, 2009
Vermont
So,
Here is the model columbia I have.
The only real difference is the color and mine dose not have the original seat.

Hazmatt

Sep 15, 2009
Vermont
I was thinking of making a gas tank to stretch across the top.
I have however decided to go with the mountain bike for starters.
I'm gonna put slicks and steel fenders on, swap out the seat for a spring one and put some different handle bars on it.
If that works out, then I'll consider messing with the columbia.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There was a thread where one of the members cut the topmost tube and flipped it, welding it in place where a boy's bike would have it. It came out looking real nice, the counter curves blending in well with the rest of the frame. I have no idea who did that or where the thread is, sorry - if I spot it I'll link ya.

Good plan on the mountain bike build, I almost destroyed mine with my ham-handed first build technique - lol, some things are so simple and yet... :p