HT studs source

GoldenMotor.com

Howardgf

Sep 27, 2015
NM
Greetings. Today's newbee discovery is that my supplied cylinder studs are 8mm., with different threads on each end. 8x1, and 8x1.25 I believe, with the 8x1 going into the case. Haven't found any yet, and locally I can only get 8x1.25, the coarse end. Is anyone making their own from VW engine studs, or plain shaft? Is there a trusted source, maybe. No sense buying more butter bolts, eh? Thanks, H.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As a staff member here I can't steer you toward any particular vendor but I'm sure you'll get several replies to your question regarding a source.

However I'm glad you've mentioned your studs having different threads on each end. I've found this several times, mentioned it and have had experienced builders argue with me saying they have never seen these odd-ball studs. Yes, they do exist and have caused some problems when the studs were installed backwards and forced into unmatched threads. I suspect this issue is the cause of a percentage of stripped threads and head gasket leaks.

And you are correct. The fine threads go into the case and the head nuts go on the course threaded end.

Tom

Howardgf

Sep 27, 2015
NM
Thanks Tom. Yeah, 8x1 and 8x1.25 studs are real. I just bought my engine, so it probably isn't an ancient Chinese practice. I'm thinking 8x1.25 VW studs, and a 8x1 die for the other end. No real need to roll, or even lathe cut threads for this use. Probably many other head stud sources around, I just started with VW. Any metric engine wrenches know of long 8mm studs? Thanks, H.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
replace with 8x1.0 on both ends and get nuts to match - you'll have no problem with them