anyone know if skyhawk cylinder is diff from normal?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
getting ready to stock shelves with high-hole pistons for skyhawks, but haven't measured cylinder to see if those have diff heights or diff port timing from the low-hole piston cylinders

anyone know if I need more cylinders to match them or not

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
given up on finding answer - seem about 6 diff conrods that also make port timing different

I'll just stick with the old way which seems most cost efficient, of opening a new kit, taking off cyl or piston or whatever, sell that part & put whole rest of kit on shelves as repair parts.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
The only answer is, if someone needs a high hole piston, then a low hole one won't work. If they have another brand of engine, neither will work. Or, both will work.

Some GT5's have high, some have low, GT5a's may have one or the other, non grubee engines have wider pistons, shorter pistons, etc.

Only way is to stock them all, and rely on your customer's intelligence to know the difference.

And you know how well that works.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Of course there are tools such a cheap digital vernier calipers that you can actually get some accurate measurements that will take the guess work out of a lot of this crap shoot.

Micrometers and dial-indicators as well that aren't so cheap and even more accurate tools for those that know how to use them ;)

Or you can keep on googling for hours and hours.

Does anyone know which Honda clones are really HONDA clones? A clone should be 100% compatible as far as tolerances and parts fitment is concerned.....right? Well at least parts fitment anyway.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
measuring would be my preferred method (even absent any factory part # markings on cyl), but some dead cyls here on the aluminum recycle heap are of unknown origin & I just don't feel like ordering a motor from every guy on ebay that has one just to measure them all

add to that, the fact that when some guy walks in with a dead, unmarked, motor it becomes a real problem figuring out what he needs (tho usually, they leave the motor home & just want a part that fits)

my own motors have changed in last few months & I didn't know it till I had to open one and fit a part to it (that turned out to be wrong)

I have some pistons and cyls coming in that I will measure to see if they work at least on what I have here.