anyone noticing better motors lately?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
last 20 kits have had very aggressive crosshatching in the bore

I live at the bottom of a canyon and previously had to go back & forth for 20 to 60 miles to get a motor run in enough to get out of the canyon. Now, I can climb the hill after just a mile or so of run in.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Sounds good, Crass. I'd like to have one of them top ends.
Mine never did wow me with power. It runs fine, pulls ok, but it took forever.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
can't say for sure that it is just the new crosshatch, but that's the only diff I notice

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Not really sure but the last one I built for a customer was a real torque monster, it did have a nice cross hatch tho, I usually do a quick hone on the new cylinders with a 240 grit flex hone but this last one looked good enough so I didn't mess with it, just put it together after doing a port cleanup and removed the casting ridges in the transfers, didn't do anything else to it but that one was really strong.

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
last 20 kits have had very aggressive crosshatching in the bore

I live at the bottom of a canyon and previously had to go back & forth for 20 to 60 miles to get a motor run in enough to get out of the canyon. Now, I can climb the hill after just a mile or so of run in.
Where did you buy your kits from ???

thanks

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
Not really sure but the last one I built for a customer was a real torque monster, it did have a nice cross hatch tho, I usually do a quick hone on the new cylinders with a 240 grit flex hone but this last one looked good enough so I didn't mess with it, just put it together after doing a port cleanup and removed the casting ridges in the transfers, didn't do anything else to it but that one was really strong.
where did you buy the motor from?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I get mine from sashawigs2009 on eBay - they usually ship with top end loose or just the head loose. I like that so I can see how the innards look and oil them up a bit.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I buy all my personal engines ad some of the engines for the bikes I sell from thatsdax.com but that particular engine I just got off ebay for $75 just to see how the cheap engines are... Needless to say I was impressed enough with it to use it as a repair on a customer's bike, spent a whopping 30 minutes doing some simple port work, put it in the bike and that thing was a Beast... Maybe it was luck, maybe it was the quick port job, butone thing for sure the customer was happy with it and so was I.

The Dax engines I get and build get a lot more port work and much better upgrades since they can handle the power and rpm but the ebay engines have come a long way since last year or so... still dunno if I'd try to spin one at 10,000 rpm but set up for low end grunt, they can do it reliably with just a few minor mods