stock carb with awesome throttle ???

GoldenMotor.com

ronorcal

Feb 3, 2015
redwood valley,ca
my stock carb whenever i disengage the clutch my engine races to top idle then slowly winds down???How can i get this to not happen is it the slide sticking or pressure from the engine the m,akes it do it?????pleaze help!!.duh.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I don't have a kit engine, nor a two stroke engine, but one thing is when engine is under load it slows the idle, so some of this is normal.

Others might be better to know if you can lower the idle speed and still not stall out.

MT

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Fast idle is usually an indication of an air (vacuum) leak somewhere downstram of the carburetor.
However you need to check your throttle to see if it is closing down to the idle stop when you release the twistgrip. Your cable or the slide might be binding. It has been found that over tightening the cap where the cable enters the carb can distort the slide bore causing the throttle to stick or bind. Always finger tighten that cap. Never use a tool to tighten it.

Remove the air filter and watch the slide to see if it immediately drops to the idle speed screw when it is supposed to. If it doesn't, find out what's hanging it up.

Tom

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Are you reducing the throttle before or after you pull the clutch? If it's at the same time, or after, you just removed all the resistance on the engine without giving it any less gas, so it's going to rev up for a second. Ease off the throttle a second before you pull the clutch.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
If it's fast idling then comes down slowly then it sounds like the slide is binding up like 2door said.. The engine should wind down quickly to idle when reved and let off the throttle. If it winds down really slowly and you can't adjust it low enough to stall the engine I'd suspect an air leak, but if it winds down real slow then finally drops down enough to stall when adjusted slower than normal then it's something sticking.