Engine Sqeaking, turnover but not starting

GoldenMotor.com

hoffmeister

Jul 29, 2014
Saint Louis
Hey everyone,
I am new to the forums and to these motor bikes too but I decided to purchase one of the 49cc Chinese kits from ebay. So I installed it all, with some difficulty but everything is in right as far as I know. When I try to start the bike the engine fires and turns over but squeaks every time it does and the engine will not start. Ive read a bunch of things so ive tried messing with the clutch a lot and someone suggested looking at the head gasket which I did and it was off by 90 degrees so that is fixed. From this kit I bought the engine came in 3 parts; part one of the engine was the one that housed the gears the gears, lever arm and such, then there was the gasket that i fixed then the second part of the engine which was the part with the piston, then a small metal gasket and then the top(third part) of the engine which holds the spark plug. There is a small amount air coming from between the second and third piece of the engine when it fires, Im not sure if this is meant to be. Ive checked the spark plug and its working. I'm at a loss of what to do, I am very new at this and don't know all of the terminology for everything, but any advice or ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated! If you guys need any more specifics just let me know and thanks for taking the time to read this and try and help!

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
Thing that holds the plug: head (cylinder head)
Thing below that: cylinder, jug
Thing below that: block, crank, case.

Is the noise constant or pulses like it's rotational. There should not be any air leakin between the head and cylinder. Are your head nuts (four nuts on top of the engine ) on tight enough?

hoffmeister

Jul 29, 2014
Saint Louis
Thanks for responding, the noise is rotational. Yeah the head nuts are on pretty tight, I'm not sure they could get tighter without stripping the screws. The head gasket is just a thin piece of metal so its not sealed tight, do you think getting a gasket made of something besides metal would fix this?

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
idk. did the kit come with a spare head gsket? if it did, try it. rotational noise could be something in the clutch or the base or even piston rings really. however its probably in the clutch. these aneignes are pretty noisy.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that air can also be from the muffler, if it is not tight it can blow back between the fins - worst case, as long as it is running, just wait till you see oil seeping out somewhere

hoffmeister

Jul 29, 2014
Saint Louis
Hey guys thanks for the help! I went camping for a while so I left the bike on hold, came back got some sealant and fixed up the gasket between the head and the cylinder and it works! Thanks!