having trouble starting my bike

GoldenMotor.com

jayd42088

Jun 28, 2014
allen park,mi
So my bike worked fine for like a week no problems. Then one day my muffler fell off and bout two miles down the road she stalled on me. I tried riding her again that day and she got me about 3 miles and stalled. The guy I bout it off of said it was the carb. So I met up with him he hooked me up with a carb n muffler. Well the new carb I couldn't even get it started. So I put the old one back on fired up no problem road around for several miles and nothing so I figured I was safe. I went to ride her into work one night and got four miles and she stalled again. About a mile down she started up again and got like another three miles before she stalled again. I put a new ngk plug in her thinking that might help cause the stock one looked gnarly. And nothing. But even before the new plug I was only getting around my apt complex which is really small btw. Also even going like 10mph just that one circle around my motor is really hot. I tried the gas cap trick I read on here and nothing I really need some help guys please help me asap cause this girl is my ride to work n back.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Look inside the sidecover for signs of water.
A wet ignition coil can produce exactly these symptoms as it finally dies.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds a bit like the gas cap isn't venting - try it with the cap a bit loose and see if it runs OK then

jayd42088

Jun 28, 2014
allen park,mi
I've tried that I even tried it with out the cap it still stalled my gas mixture the guy I bought it off of told me 8oz to 1gal for a new motor could that be to much?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
some folks here say it is too much, but I've always used that 16:1 for the first 2 tanks before going to 32:1

does the engine just stop, or does it seem to slow down & struggle a bit before stopping?

jayd42088

Jun 28, 2014
allen park,mi
It struggles like it's not getting gas or something this all started when my stock muffler broke and I ran it after. I read on here something about back pressure. So I figured once the new muffler was on I'd be golden but sadly I am not. Also like I said just in that 2 minutes of riding the engine n muffler get really hot I put an absolute xs4093 plug in it too. A buddy of mine suggested cleaning the jets but old where they are. And if it is the carb which would you guys prefer I have over 100 miles on the engine and have been through a little over a gal n a half of gas.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
doesn't seem like the carb would cause it to run OK for a few min, then quit

I think you should pull the head off and check cylinder walls for scrapes - you may have gotten something stuck in a ring or somewhere.

jayd42088

Jun 28, 2014
allen park,mi
Oh I forgot it didn't run all good while riding it would like bog down so I'd release throttle a bit and be fine but it would mostly do that around 27mph and I never went over 20mph for the first gallon. The guy I bought it off of said to take it easy the first gal don't go over 20mph. Could the piston rings not be lined up right or something. I'm just thinking of getting a new motor or something.