2-Stroke Motor Won't Start in Middle of Ride

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 23, 2013
Riverside, CA
Hey guys. I recently got some help from a chill dude from this forum and I got my bike built! I've been riding it and I've probably ridden about 20 miles on it in total so far(TBH I have no real sense of distance, especially on a bike). I know that's not much at all. My estimation is probably wrong. Basically I've been riding the bike in short 15 minute spurts around my hood multiple times a day for the past 2-3 weeks.
Just yesterday, the guy who helped me put this together invited me out for a ride. The first actual long ride ever for this motor (and myself). We were riding and everything was awesome for about 45 minutes. I rode up to a red light, stopped the bike, then started pedaling to get the bike moving again before I let out the clutch. Then suddenly, my pedal chain fell off my pedal crank sprocket because the chain's very loose. So then, since I was stationary and I couldn't pedal, the bike couldn't move. I rolled to a stop and the motor goes out. Nothing's out of the ordinary here. I think to myself, "the pedal chain should have nothing to do with the motor itself, right?"
I proceeded to put the pedal chain back onto the pedal crank sprocket. Easy peasy.
And, wouldn't you know it, my motor wouldn't get going again. I kept trying to get it going again but it just wouldn't work. The motor will start and rumble, but there would be no acceleration from the throttle to the motor. So the motor would then just die out. Pedaling would not get it running again. Here I was, stuck on the side of the road, pedaling a heavy-ass motorized bike that won't accelerate. I got a good workout, that's for sure. It's just so unexpected...and so strange.

TL;DR - My bike wouldn't get running again in the middle of a ride after pedal chain fell off pedal crank sprocket and motor dies at stop. Pedal chain should have nothing to do with motor function at the time.

What could be the reason for this strange occurrence?

Bike is Schwinn Jaguar.
Motor is 2-stroke Flaming Horse 80cc purchased last year.
Spark plug is NGK B6HS (7534)
Everything else stock.

:-||

Sorry, the title is wrong. It'll start, just won't "go."

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
pedal chain flew around and closed your choke?

My guess is that it is probably not related to the pedal chain incident, unless it whipped and pulled a wire, fuel line or the carb. make sure that didn't happen and proceed to the no start wonder thread.

TheMotheMan

Jun 14, 2009
Southern Minnesota
sounds to me like your engine is starving for fuel. 1st check for flow, could have a vacuum forming so gas isn't flowing out of the tank. 2nd make sure your inlet isn't plugged on the carb and that the jet isn't plugged. all 3 of these issues happen at one time or another, just enough gas would get into the carb to start the engine but when you try to throttle up it would die from lack of gas.