rear coaster brake hub

GoldenMotor.com

Tom BR

Oct 2, 2013
Paris ,Tx.
Have a problem with he rear hub coaster brake squealing and trying to lock up after a rain,even after the bearings are greased.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm no expert on coaster brake hubs. For instance, I can't name the various parts inside there. But I've rebuilt mine a handful of times, so I've learned something anyway.

I can't tell you what's wrong. But obviously there's something. I'd take it apart and look for damage to the parts that push and pull together to apply those brake shoes. There's on odd little part with a spring and some 'pawls' that fit into slots. I wouldn't be surprised if that's been damaged.

If you haven't got a source for used parts, someone in the neighborhood who keeps a 'bike junkyard' for instance, then I'd start looking for one. You're likely to need parts for that hub. If not now, then soon.

If you don't have a set of rim brakes on your bike, then I'd get one soon. That way you can share the braking load between the hub and the rims.

Best of luck with it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can't get away with only greasing the bearings! You have to pull the guts out of the hub & grease everything in there to keep it from locking up. ;)

KnockKnock

Sep 10, 2013
CenTex
I just had to junk a brand-new HiStop from my new Schwinn because of similar problems. After re-greasing everything and still having the same issues, I took it into my LBS to confirm what I suspected, and it suffered from machining defects as well as improper assembly (from the factory) that made it both noisy and hard to stop. Luckily I had a New Departure laying around that I'm getting laced in for $40 (+TT&L), but if you're like me, and too lazy to learn how to lace a wheel, some other options include a Wheelmaster/Shimano E-110 for about $50 or the Husky HD wheel for a little bit more. Whatever you decide, good luck with it! Kk