Give it gas; gives me nothing.

GoldenMotor.com

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
Okay, I have a Skyhawk gt5 hp new carb. When I give my engine fuel it shuts off. Don't understand why but does. I have it on a huffy cranebrook beach cruiser that came with coaster brake. When I pull the clutch(inward) to stop it completely shuts off or It will try to speed off on me. why?
And I would like to add a front brake, how would I go about doing so?
Another thing It wont stop going over 20mph. I want it to slow down.. because im hauling ass on that bike, and need it to slow down. When I idle it, its still go fast

Sorry im all over the place, I been reading on this site and watching lots of videos for about a year. So, im understanding the concept of keeping it together.

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
I have the nt hp carb with the blue thing on it.haha. I think my throttle is really tight, but cant really get it loose, and tried to get it to rap all the way around wont do that.
Choke cable is loose though.
the throttle and choke lever is on top of the carb.
I think it is the choke lever. How should I make it work with the gas?

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
When giving it gas should it be down(which is open) or up (which is closed)?

And 2door your the best, you answered my question about the clutch when your trying to stop in another forum, so im glad your helping me with this.

I've read almost all the help you give with others, and its helped me come along way.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If there are two cables you have the infamous CNS carburetor, not an NT.
Nevertheless, the throttle barrel, or slide should move up when you twist the hand grip and move down when you release it. The choke is not actually a choke but fuel enrichment control to make cold starts easier.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "tried to get it to rap all the way around wont do that." Could you explain that a little better?

Tom

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Yeah, check that too.
Check to see that the Choke is fully closing and shutting, make sure your cable is not too tight or too loose.
And check for air leaks too.
I made a boo-boo, I didn't mean the Choke.
I meant to say that slider thing that controls the gas-air mix into the motor.
Move your throttle grip and look to see if it's moving freely.
And don't forget......uh......oh, the idle screw keeps it open just a touch.

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
Got the idle screw in a good place, I found out I have a gas screw under this brass, that I cant get out.
But I also meant to say when I let the petcock on for gas to the carb it shuts off.
And when I went in to look at the needle it doesn't have notches like I've seen on everyone else's.

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
So, 2Door, I went into my throttle where the cord is and its really tight and doesn't wrap around the whole throttle itself. Is that a issue or no?
Not going to lie when I first got my package it didn't use to be so tight.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So, 2Door, I went into my throttle where the cord is and its really tight and doesn't wrap around the whole throttle itself. Is that a issue or no?
Not going to lie when I first got my package it didn't use to be so tight.
I'm sorry, Independent, but I still don't understand what you mean by "wrap around".

Are you talking about the plastic part in the twist grip? That is called a thimble, and the cable only wraps about 1/2 the way around it.
If you're talking about the carburetor end of the cable, it shouldn't wrap around anything.

Photos would sure help us help you. It's very difficult to troubleshoot when all we have to go on is your description of what you have.

Tom

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
Yes, sorry the thimble, okay, it does come 1/2 round.
so, that answer one question.
Is the barrel what goes up and down inside the carb?
when you twist the throttle.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yes, sorry the thimble, okay, it does come 1/2 round.
so, that answer one question.
Is the barrel what goes up and down inside the carb?
when you twist the throttle.
Correct, barrel or slide. It is a type of valve that opens to deliver more air through the carburetor. The more air that passes through the more fuel is drawn into the air stream.

Your problem makes me think you might have the cable wrapped around the thimble the wrong direction. When you twist the throttle inward, towards you it should pull the cable thereby lifting the slide. Looking down on the disassembled twist grip the cable should enter and go over the top of the thimble and be engaged into the pocket and slot that the cable rides in.Some thimbles are very poorly made and require some trimming to get the cable to ride smoothly. A little lubrication helps too. Do not use WD-40. A good silicone grease does great.

Tom

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
Okay, And should the barrel go to the bottom of my carb when not twisted? because I think its stuck. I took out the needle and spring, and when I pull the throttle it snaps back and actually feels like how it should.