Where to buy howard mounts?

GoldenMotor.com

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Hey, was reading up on these howard mounts, and PM'd fatdaddy, but still haven't gotten a response -- where can I buy these things? (Hope it's still relativeley cheap)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If you're speaking of the Howard sprocket adapter, I snagged the last one from fatdaddy back in December, and they are not currently in production. Sorry, but mine is not for sale. If they do go back into production, they sell for around $75. Last I spoke to Sgt. Howard, he was in the process of setting up a website and obtaining business licenses, so perhaps they will be back into production soon.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Oh.. okay thanks, too bad, it seemed perfect... using stock sprockets, and didnt hurt the spokes =/

EDIT: IF any one wants to sell me their used one, please send me a PM!

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
And to think i was getting to snag that last one from fatdaddy too lol... but then bbb's bike would of been that much more harder to build.

There is a couple other adapters online that use the stock kit sprockets, i think one is called the clam shell adapter
http://www.livefastmotors.com/categ...s/clam-shell-sprocket-addaptor-hub-parts.html

i would call them and find out what is the clamping diameter. i know the Howard would only mount on specific coaster brake hubs

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
My bike Is a non-coaster brake MadWagon, so the Howard Mount wouldn't work? I guess I won't buy one..... I'll look into the clamshell thanks.

You can find someone else whod want a Howard

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Madwagons were cool. A little flexy, but fun and cheap. I still have mine. The hole I drilled for the motor previously, now makes a cool owl-hooting noise in the wind. HOoo Hooo Hooo.

If I find another one I'm making a "clunker" out of it. (low $ mountain bike) When I first got it, I rode it around with MTB tires. They were scary at 30mph though so I used beach bike treads.

Now the bike is a chopper that I pull my kid trailer with.

Good luck on your build! If your frame is spaced 135mm you can get a "fixed gear" wheel or hub, and re-space the axle stack for 135. Put the grubee cog on the "track" side, and a $10 freewheel on the right side. Then lock it down with the lockring and a rag-joint kit.

Last edited:

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
I just realized my last post I sounded like an ass, on my phone hard to type ha ha.
I meant to say I hope you find someone who will buy it off from you. I think I might go with the clamshell with a little research... thanks!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yes mystery sandwich, the Howard adapters are designed specifically for Huffy coaster brake wheels. I think that small clamshell adapter may fit a mountain bike hub, not sure though. Good luck finding an adapter that works for you. I can personally attest that adapters are a thousand times better than rag joints.

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Actually, I'm quite confused now -- my second choice was a manic mechanic adaptor, does my rear wheel need to have a coaster brake hub to be used with one?

IF it does... I might have to go with the clamshell (assuming that it fits) and I'd hate to do that since I've read up on the two, and the MM is much better...

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
what you need to do is measure your hub diameter with a caliper and find an adapter that fits. The small clamshell adapter on the page that ocho ninja linked earlier looks like it might fit a mountain bike hub. Pirate Cycles also sells a copy of the manic mechanic adapter for different size hubs, so no you dont need to have a coaster brake hub to use an adapter.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
http://www.custommotoredbicycles.com/ has the sprocket adapters for freewheel hubs and coaster hubs, several sizes by model/type.

See this page for all the manic parts. dance1
http://www.custommotoredbicycles.co...oth_sprocket__adapter_and_coaster_brake_wheel

Actually, I'm quite confused now -- my second choice was a manic mechanic adaptor, does my rear wheel need to have a coaster brake hub to be used with one?

IF it does... I might have to go with the clamshell (assuming that it fits) and I'd hate to do that since I've read up on the two, and the MM is much better...