slight problem with kit

GoldenMotor.com

sligo_rider

Sep 21, 2010
Sligo, Ireland
hey i got a new kit (its also my first), i got it working and i am breaking it in but when i clutch the engine starts to race a bit!! is it normal and is there anything i can do about it????.duh.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
It it only when you first start it or all the time? I think a bit of high revving until the engine is warmed up is normal, well mine's always done it.

sligo_rider

Sep 21, 2010
Sligo, Ireland
well say if im riding along and have to stop and have to clutch, the engine goes from a nice slowish rev to a more high pitch faster rev!! it sucks because it doesnt hummmm as such.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Welcome, I have visited your part of the country several times. Absolutely wonderful! I agree with Kevlarr, mine has always revved until warm.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The idle speed is adjustable several ways. First by using the idle speed set screw; the small screw with a spring on it found on the left side of the carburetor (if you have a 2 stroke, Chinese engine). Screw it in to increase idle speed and out to decrease.
The throttle cable is another way. Most, if not all twist grip throttles have an adjustment for cable tension where the cable attaches to it. Screw it in and it decreases the amount of pull. Screw it out and it increases the the cable tension. Also make sure you have no kinks or sharp bends in your throttle cable. It must work free.
A fast idle that can not be adjusted down can also be the result of an air leak somewhere in the induction system. Most common is the intake manifold to carb attachment and the intake manifold gasket. Both of these areas need to be sealed with a gasoline resistant sealer. Get back to us if these suggestions don't help. There are other approaches and other problems that we can look at.
Tom