New Dream Builder Biker

GoldenMotor.com

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Hey folks,

First post, following the suggestion on introducing myself. Not too much to say yet, but I've been eyeing motorized and electric bikes for awhile. My last motorized bike, longgone now, was a moped(Puch)and man that was fun. My last bicycle was a Schwinn Typhoon which I used to ride to class a long time ago. Sure wish I still had the Typhoon now that I see all these cool cruisers people build.

Anyway, I got a dream bike in mind and it is slightly different. I want to use a motorcycle alternator powered by a weedwhacker to generate DC and have it power a Brushless hub motor and controller.
The advantage seems to me to be I could use a very small battery or even no battery and range would be huge.

If youve got any warnings or suggestions on my first nightmare....errr dream, maybe you can stop me now before it's too late, or even egg me on to research and pursue this further.

Thanks,

Free.flg.

ezdoesit

Jun 17, 2010
Michigan
Welcome to the forum FW! We have a lot of Great Guys here, you should have no trouble Buying, selling , and trading! Not to mention the wealth of knowlege here to tap into! Good luck on your projects!

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Thanks, ezdoesit.

I see the search function shows this crackpot isnt alone in a diesel electric locomotive style genset-motor bike dream. Someone suggests a "matched" generator-motor. To me, that means I use a brushless motor and a brushless motor as a generator. The generator end might need to be about 40% bigger in output than the hub motor, and timing on brushless motors is also important.
I'm not sure how to do this. My first experiment might be a small brushless motor turned by a drill and the output connected directly to another brushless motor. No oscilloscope means I wont be able to look at the waveforms.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
There is a build just like this on motoredbikes by a member "professor" something, he has done exactly what you want to do. IIRC the thread is in the electric section of the forum

Best of luck

KiM

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Thanks mate :) Have you thought about going just electric? You can easily get 50 mile range with a pack that weighs around 12lb these days, new battery tech has progressed somewhat in last few years. Prices are also alot cheaper. Theres members with 100 kilometre plus range on Endless Sphere website, one fella has a no pedal range of 200 kilometres on his electric bike per charge.

Best of luck anyway.

KiM

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Yup KiM, I'm coming to my senses. I'm well aware of cheap and light lithium batteries, HK brushless outrunners, Turnigy speed controllers, etc.

I did that experiment of using a brushless motor on a drill to drive another brushless motor. It didnt work. The only thing I got was jitters as the drill wound down to a stop. I'm guessing that the bigger motor on the drill is so mismatched that EMF just locks it up(That's why speed controllers). I'll have to wind another motor just like the one I tried to drive and see if nearly identical motors could work.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Welcome to this truly great forum there are many things to learn don't be afraid to ask questions there are a few people here that don't have patients for newbies but most do. Glad to have you here if you need any question answered I am always available
Cheers
Terry
Thanks Terry! I've already put any kind of electric on the back burner. I ordered a DAX F50 for my newly acquired Huffy Santa Fe. I started a thread in Cruisers initially asking about cleaning up a bike. This Huffy was OK, but the front hub does show some rust and the back rim has some rust. Nothing too bad, and it pedaled nice and smooth and rolled great and chain was in good shape and lubed. Came with new tires and new Schwinn seat too.