carburetor question?

GoldenMotor.com

mattkelly

Aug 31, 2010
green bay, wisconsin
Hi! new to this site, and i'm also not very technical. . . . . the boyfriend is the one doing all of the work. . . we are putting a motor on a 1958 schwinn twinn deluxe, that we have brought back from the grave. . . . trying to find the perfect place to put the motor, without altering the frame.

we have found a spot if we can make or find an elbow for the carburetor, and have it go off to the side around a bar that is in the way.

Is this possible? what is the name of the part that connects the carb to the motor? would we have to fashion one ourselves, or are these tubes standard at a hardware store?

we need something with a 90 degree angle and the same bolt pattern. . .

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"intake manifold"

Which is a touch odd as "manifold" would infer more than one inlet/outlet... but I digress lol

Anyhoo, while I would advise making your own by modifying your existing one or making one from scratch, this may be challenging if you've no access to welding equipment or friends who do - there's the "offset intake manifold" that's worked for a few folks with the same problem, while it may not be perfect... for $7 it may be worth a shot ;)

http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/co...age=vmj_ace.tpl&product_id=475&category_id=93

Welcome to the forum BTW :)

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
"intake manifold"

Which is a touch odd as "manifold" would infer more than one inlet/outlet... but I digress lol

Welcome to the forum BTW :)
Too late, you digressed. Go immediately to jail.;)

Manifold is a very old word with roots in Anglo and Saxon and Latin. Many + fold didnt evolve into multi inlet meaning until late 1800's as result of industrial revolution. The early meaning was closer to multi plex which still applies to the one tube inlet where air and fuel go into the engine after being folded and mixed in the carb.

I digreased.

mattkelly

Aug 31, 2010
green bay, wisconsin
Well, thanks for the help!! It's done, I think he put 14 he's into the build, still modifying as we ride. It's awesome! I will post a pic on this thread when I figure out how. (p.s. He made his own intake thing/manifold) took a minute to get used to, because my knee sort of hits it when I pedal, but I got used to it and adjusted my body mechanics. Thanks again!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice job on an unusual build. Tandems can be a challenge but it appears that this one is a success. Congratulations, have fun and ride safe.
As for hitting your knee when pedaling: Don't pedal...let the guy and engine do the work and you just sit back and navigate :)
Tom