Sidecars?

GoldenMotor.com

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Finally remembered the camera while I was out with the sidehack yesterday

I decided to go with an old toolbox for a sidecar. Makes a hardware store run easier that way. Also provides secure helmet storage.

The repop tail light worked out well, and the brake light is bright enough in full sun:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
What a wonderful build. I like the idea of the generator and the electric star too. What is the generator from? A car it looks like?

You've raised the bar of excellence even higher now.

Steve

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
FastEddy:

The generator is also the starter motor. Old school starter/generator from a gas golf cart.

Anne:

The design is mostly from memory. My dad had a flexi-car on his 1928 JD that I rode in as a kid.

Brad

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
This thread has just passed the 100,000 views, mark. Who would have thought there would be that many people interested in sidecars.

Mick 29, thank you for starting it.

Steve.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I dont have anything to add to this just signing on for future breakthroughs, Someday Id Like a Nepr motorcycle with sidecar, mayhaps Ill build a bike version first to try it out. So much space for extra battery storage!
edit:
Ok so I may have something worthwhile to add, I havent plied over the entire 44 pages here but in case no one else dropped this along the way

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Bicycle-Sidecar/

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I dont have anything to add to this just signing on for future breakthroughs, Someday Id Like a Nepr motorcycle with sidecar, mayhaps Ill build a bike version first to try it out. So much space for extra battery storage!
edit:
Ok so I may have something worthwhile to add, I havent plied over the entire 44 pages here but in case no one else dropped this along the way

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Bicycle-Sidecar/
Nice little side car .................Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Anne,

That is so cute and hilarious at the same time. The little one has caught the feeling of the moment perfectly and thank Heavens there was someone to photograph it so we can all share.

The country lane is the perfect setting.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The Dnepr factory is out of business. What you get now are Urals, made by Izh. Despite the common ancestry and similarity, it appears not much more than the tyres will interchange between them.

There is a higher ratio bevel box, which is still a bit low for solo use, but ok on the road with a sidecar according to our nearest dealer. You can get optional 2wd, with a locking diff and Earles type forks. There's also an optional deeper sump as well, as those old twins tend to run a bit hot. The UK models have a decent modern electrical system, complete with sparks big enough to stun any buffalo that need it, I don't know what you get over there.

If you really wanted to, you could use factory options and dress a solo up like a 1950s French police bike, there's a lot of extras.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
:) If I was going to get a Ural or Dnepr I would Soviet Patrol vehicle the heck out of it, But I've been thinking about it, I think Ill just build my own electric version and be happy with that.

So I noticed that someone shared the link on page 15 that I had just shared.

I also noticed that it was mentioned the Hub motor on the sidecar drives it into you from start up and turns badly to the right, Someone after asked if a hub motor on both rear wheels would solve that issue but I don't think they got a response. What do ye think general community that has an interest in side hacks? will a second hub motor on the rear of a sidecar rig straighten out those issues?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's a lot of leverage exerted by the outrigger wheel, especially if it is set up with toe in, that is a slight angle with the leading edge fractionally closer to the bike's centreline than the trailing edge, so unless it is matched by force through the bike's back wheel, there will be some tendency for it to try to drive the sidecar round the bike.