98cc Villiers on a 1945 Sears Roebuck

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Ignore the fallen leaves and BUILD YOUR BIKE!

There will be more leaves again next year and the year after, but remember life is short and delaying projects you enjoy might mean that they never get done.
Ha! My guess is the only person that thinks I obsess over my lawn is my next door neighbor but then it's his leaves in my yard.

Tinkering in the garage has been a great stress buster for me and I'm counting on that being the case with this build. Slow and steady but in the end I agree with you. I won't look back later and wish I had spent more time mowing the lawn, I will remember making things with my hands.

So then, any idea what my date code might mean? Stamped into the flywheel is R53/A53/M-5-8

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Guys I think your talking about 2 different doodlebugs. Curt is thinking of the vintage one and Harold is talking about the Modern mini bike Doodlebug. I think?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Guys I think your talking about 2 different doodlebugs. Curt is thinking of the vintage one and Harold is talking about the Modern mini bike Doodlebug. I think?
Could well be Moto since my Doodlebug engine components were nearly interchangeable with the Lifan engine I purchased from you.

Anyone able to put me onto a Villiers s/n date code source?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harold B,

I had an idea that was who you may have purchased the Villiers engine from. I've purchased a Sachs 98cc that I still have and a 98cc Villers engine from Dave that Silverbear now has and Silverbear purchased a 98cc Sachs.

We went down to meet Dave and pick up the Sachs engines and a Hurth transmission and some other parts I'd purchased and saw the different motorbikes and mopeds he had at the time. He is one of the top motorized bicycle and scooter restorers in the U.S. if not the world and a super great person.

Should have added that Curtis Fox went with us and we had a great couple of hours or more talking to Dave.

Steve.

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Doesn't surprise me really that you have good things to say about Dave. He sure treated me right selling and shipping the little Villiers to me. Looking at the pictures in the eBay ads I can't help but think there's got to be a lot of treasures in that workshop.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Curt - link is appreciated but it's not working for me (I can honestly say
I've never had that many error messages on my screen and not crashed!). If you can edit the post that'd be great or I'll try again later....

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
You know, there's no telling why but that link didn't work for me either unless you are trying to pitch me a Google Mail account. Probably my Apple device running interference! One thing is for sure and that is you have my curiosity peaked. Can you tell me what it is and where and I'll just Google search it myself?

HOLD ON. Second link in the edited post worked!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Sorry about the old link. Scooterpart4less is another,And Statin-inc i think has them to fit jackshafts, like 5/8" hole....................Curt

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Sorry about the old link. Scooterpart4less is another,And Statin-inc i think has them to fit jackshafts, like 5/8" hole....................Curt
No problem on the link. Thanks for hanging with me on that and for the additional sources. Looks like I'll be doing more shopping while I decide how I'm going to get this done. Started cleaning the carb today. First knuckle buster on the build is out of way now.