Pulled Over...

GoldenMotor.com

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
So i got pulled over on my MB today.... The cop wasn't to big of an ass but still a pig at that. And i had to pedal the rest of the way home. Why is Florida so strict on these things? .wee.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/other-types.php
I'm guessing something about your bike did not meet the specifications on that page somehow.

it is more likely than not much easier to get your build conforming to that definition than it would be to get it registered as a motorcycle.

I just re-read the page, even mopeds need a plate. says it's five dollars to register at you local county tax collection office.
if anyone from Florida knows better feel free to chime in here.

lame but by the sounds of things still legal to use if you jump the right hoops.
Stay in there. Paperwork ain't that hard.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Florida is probably cracking down because those dudes in Miami are doing 50-60mph on there skyhawk frames with ported, polished, sleeved, balanced motors with motocross pipes and big carbs.

The race scene there is growing larger and larger with MZMiami being one of the premier motorized bicycle specific shops.

Los Angeles is cracking down and enforcing the bicycle registration law. I wouldn't doubt if it's because the race scene there as well, due to other motorized bicycle specific shops.

I don't blame the shops, there making money, lots of it, but the more high powered bikes on the road leads to more attention.

Unfortunately that attention includes law enforcement

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
its just a pain in the ass im hearing that as long as i say the right things and pay 100 bucks ill be legal despite me having a license which is why i slapped a motor on in the first place. Not to mention its over 49cc "66cc" and i have no proof of purchase for wither the frame of the bike or the engine

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
we've been talking a little in the chatbox but I just wanted to post this link here too
http://www.gofundme.com/lbierc
this dude is trying to help with this problem, I would like to see that happen.

but I digress, Arm yourself with knowledge, and carry a shield of politeness. in the grand scheme of things the authorities have a right to ensure public safety, just as you have a right to transportation. go into the situation working from the point of view that you AND the law are right, and all you need to do is get along. a compromised goal is better than a failed goal.
that said in a perfect world they wouldn't put the costs onto you but hey, at least the roads are paved.

fight the good fight!

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
I keep expecting to semaj coming on saying something along the line of... "You wouldnt have that problem if you went electric hahah

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Gas or electric they are still Mopeds,not pointing fingers but the guys doing bigger engine and going faster then aloud,like i CA and elsewhere are going to ruin it for everyone else. Just about all states say 50 cc max and 30 mph and no manual shifting, i think Or is 35 cc max.
The laws have even changed here in MN now have to register and have lights and all. Sorry you got pulled over,what was the grip? .............Curt

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I keep expecting to semaj coming on saying something along the line of... "You wouldnt have that problem if you went electric hahah
No kidding... I like the guy but sometimes that gets old pretty fast, he means well tho and he's a good guy.

As far as state laws concearning these, every state is a little different... and I'm glad Texas is one of the more lenient states when it comes to these. Last time I talked to the DPS officer who comes by the shop to make sure my inspection equipment is in good working order and being used properly he noticed mine parked by my toolbox and started asking me questions about it. After answering his questions I asked him about what type of regulations there were here in Texas and he told me just keep the pedals operational and keep the engine below 125cc and it doesn't have to be registered. He did mention that it does need lights if ridden after dark and that I need to obey any speed limits but that's not a problem where I ride.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"..... in the grand scheme of things the authorities have a right to ensure public safety, just as you have a right to transportation. go into the situation working from the point of view that you AND the law are right, and all you need to do is get along...." --GoreWound.

Well said and quite true. In most places it's not hard to get along as long as we ride these things kinda gently.

siouxindian

Jan 4, 2013
tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
No kidding... I like the guy but sometimes that gets old pretty fast, he means well tho and he's a good guy.

As far as state laws concearning these, every state is a little different... and I'm glad Texas is one of the more lenient states when it comes to these. Last time I talked to the DPS officer who comes by the shop to make sure my inspection equipment is in good working order and being used properly he noticed mine parked by my toolbox and started asking me questions about it. After answering his questions I asked him about what type of regulations there were here in Texas and he told me just keep the pedals operational and keep the engine below 125cc and it doesn't have to be registered. He did mention that it does need lights if ridden after dark and that I need to obey any speed limits but that's not a problem where I ride.
tulsa okla same here but 80 cc keep the pedals
lights at night thats all yea for okla and texas!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Amen... and God Bless Texas.....!

Just hope it stays the way it is for us, not to many Motorized Hot Rodders here, I do ride mine fast but living in small town area Texas the cops like my bikes as much as I do and they don't really care what I have on it they just want one also....LOL!

It's a shame some states are a pain in the back side about the bikes, they'll let people run all over town in those huv-around electric 3 and 4 wheel chairs that are much more dangerous to the rider on the road than our bikes are in my opinion.

For some it's just that they feel the need to tax and big brother the heck out of everyone in the lame name of "public safety" I'm a full blown rebel when it comes to this kinda mess, way to much government and regulation in our lives to start with nowadays and then these states want to pick on people for building themselves and cool and inexpensive way to travel to and from work or just joy ride down to the store for a sody water or Coke as many of us call all of them in Texas...LOL!

brnot

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
"..... in the grand scheme of things the authorities have a right to ensure public safety, just as you have a right to transportation. go into the situation working from the point of view that you AND the law are right, and all you need to do is get along...." --GoreWound.

Well said and quite true. In most places it's not hard to get along as long as we ride these things kinda gently.
I sorta agree with this, but not all the way since they actually get paid by us the tax payer to provide protection to us "we the people" and our property when the possibility of a threat comes into play.

A motorized bicycle isn't a threat to anyone really anymore than a strictly pedaled bicycle could be, I know that many arguments can be made on both sides of this issue, but most of the states that seem to be the strictest on things like this are the same states that tax and regulate their citizens to death in dang near every area of life and by doing this in the name of "public safety" they stamp out a big amount of people individual freedoms, there are obvious reasons not to let people run on the streets in go-Karts and things like that, but a motor assisted bicycle is still a bicycle and I'm so thankful I live in a state where at least for now our state government has enough common sense to realize that also, and not beat up on it's citizens for making a bicycle into a little bit better and faster form of transportation.

Last edited:

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Heres the deal. Miami is no different than any where else to when you
get a butch of people together at some time or the other it becomes
racing.

Shoot I started my drag racing days on the street. This video shows a bunch
of guys just having fun. There is lots of betting going on but no different than
the tv show from my home state of Okla, in OKC it just street car drag racing.

These guys are just having fun. But it draws attention to our hobby anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKb0t47lI0 Fly

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
If I had my way, then almost any vehicle would be allowed on the road. And I do mean anything: go-karts, hover-rounds, etc. ATVs and home-made mopeds? You bet!

There'd be a few rules. Some of them wouldn't need to be law. Just common sense. Don't roll your ATV at forty mph. Don't goose your MB and go flying off the road into some obstruction.

And there would be true rules-of-the-road. Slower traffic, keep right. Corvettes and SUVs would just have to get used to the fact that they'll not have much opportunity to floor it. But they won't lose anything with that, anyway. They can hardly floor it now. Traffic's just too rotten everywhere. (One of the reason's it's rotten is that those guys are still trying to floor it. But that's almost another issue.)

And one hard rule I'd make is don't run over or hit ANYTHING that is in the road. If you do and if there's a human being involved in that, then you're going to do at least some time in jail or prison. And once you get out, you're going to spend years pedaling a bicycle since you can't be trusted with a motor.

Let's go ahead and keep the interstate highways free of home-made, slow moving motor vehicles. People can go seventy-five, eighty miles an hour between the cities.

But let's open the surface streets to almost anything. The pace of traffic will necessarily be slowed. But not all that much; it's near gridlock already.

And everyone will be better off for it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
To me, if it's a real bicycle, it should be a bicycle legally, regardless of adding a motor. 100cc limit just to keep the nutjobs like me real.
I'd say it has to be at least 75% original bicycle to be legal. Full custom or heavily reworked bicycles would go in moped slot.
I really REALLY disagree with ANY law that makes me spend cash every year or whatever to keep the cops from hassling me for RIDING A BICYCLE and choking me out when I get stupid.
And I WILL get stupid. Proven track history,
Just my opinion.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I sorta agree with this, but not all the way since they actually get paid by us the tax payer to provide protection to us "we the people" and our property when the possibility of a threat comes into play.

A motorized bicycle isn't a threat to anyone really anymore than a strictly pedaled bicycle could be, I know that many arguments can be made on both sides of this issue, but most of the states that seem to be the strictest on things like this are the same states that tax and regulate their citizens to death in dang near every area of life and by doing this in the name of "public safety" they stamp out a big amount of people individual freedoms, there are obvious reasons not to let people run on the streets in go-Karts and things like that, but a motor assisted bicycle is still a bicycle and I'm so thankful I live in a state where at least for now our state government has enough common sense to realize that also, and not beat up on it's citizens for making a bicycle into a little bit better and faster form of transportation.
It's all about the money. Just another way to feed the bloated bureaucracy choking away all our personal freedom and responsibility.
Bicycles should be free to own and ride. Alcohol is legal. Why should a motorized bicycle be illegal?
Oh....right. It's for our own good.