Modern BoardTrack Racer Builds by CulverCityClassic

GoldenMotor.com

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Good candidate for a hydrostatic drive....new to bikes but not mowers ...I have one here,it would be easy to do

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I completed some more work on the bike, the reduction drives arrived today. They were designed by Pat from Sportsman Flyer and used on his record setting bikes. He said run them hard and trust me I will. I am amazed at the quality of this drive, unreal.

Next step is the motor work, hope to get to it tomorrow, may have to do it in the air conditioned house on the kitchen table... Lol

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Jeff,
Your builds are looking great. I am curious how the chains are lining up. The front looks good. The rear chain should line up with a 135mm hub. I know how fast this bike is going to be with a 200cc engine! I've made the switch lately to the 26mm carbs, too. The 26's work good with their stock jets and are much smoother on trailing throttle.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Hey Pat... Late nights and early mornings take a toll, thank god for good coffee in the morning. The chain does not line up but I was warned. Worked on making an alum spacer with the room I had. Went to a button head that I machined down the heads for clearance. Should be fine when I am done. I have to say I am very pleased with this setup.

I really like building these motors... They really come to life...

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
So your spacing over to the 110mm hub standard? I haven't seen your rear hub clearly enough so don't know what your using. Can you space your rear sprocket out? Another option is that once you know exactly what your offset will be I can cut you a custom sprocket for the reduction hub and you can get rid of the spacer. Since your bottom bracket sits above the chain stay frame tube will you need to run an idler or will the chain clear the frame tube without one?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
very nice bro! pat's set up looks like it was made to fit, but we all know that is never the way it works out. but thats half the fun. anyone can bolt together a kit... well not everyone i'll leave it alone.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I had kicked around the whole drive idea for awhile and was having mental block. Then while mowing the lawn one day it came to me how to make it work. I ran inside and sat at the computer and drew it all up. Never did finish mowing the lawn that day!
When you can spin the wheel in both directions with no chain popping around you know the alignment is perfect, but you know that. What brand chain are you running? I have trashed what was claimed as good quality in a very short time. The Diamond brand #41 always seems to work best. I hear people talk about the durability of aluminum sprockets, too. I have NEVER ruined an aluminum sprocket and would guess the only way that happens is from poor alignment. I do keep my chains well lubed even though it makes a mess of the bike.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Got the disk brake setup on the rear, mocked up an aluminum slider on the side to save that caliper if I should lay it down.

Picture of the chain I use on all my bikes... Seems to hold up well, not sure if it compares to the diamond brand.

Attachments

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i have, and have seen aluminum sprockets go bad. and its a stretched chain thats the culprit, and the sprocket teeth that look like waves on the water being blown in one direction. causing chain skip, up to a locked up rear wheel sliding on my...er...your ass on the asphalt in the rain and almost getting run over by a car.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Chain doesn't have to stretch to gouge away on alum...steels harder...like pat says though....keep it greased well

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Got the other bike exhaust done, the killer part is you can run open or slip on a silencer with no issues. Both bikes will have this option.

Got two more Richard H frames that showed up.... Will have full built race motors in them... That will be fun...

I ya an extra picture from the bike swap today

Attachments