no fuel flow

GoldenMotor.com

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
has anyone had this happen? went to go for ride yesterday mid to low 40s , noticed no fuel leaving the tank, unscrewed the cap and suddenly fuel flowing fine. vapor lock ,bad cap not sure,wiped down cap and tank seems ok now? just dont want a problem far from home. :-||

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I haven't yet encountered that problem, but have read where many others insist the tank must be vented.

I pour a beer-can of mix gas in my tank every few days, so there's generally quite a bit of space in there, and it's opened frequently... perhaps you fill your tank all the way, the run a long time before opening it again???

...sound like u got a good seal rubber on your gas cap! that's a good thing! :)

Best
rc

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
i was thinking of drilling tiny lil hole through the cap. only way it would leak is if it was upside down.dont ride much in rain,even so tiny hole shouldnt allow much if any in. just thinkin, dont know for sure why it happened at all.oh well. took motorcycle for ride instead of bicycle. thanks for your input.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
i was thinking of drilling tiny lil hole through the cap. only way it would leak is if it was upside down.dont ride much in rain,even so tiny hole shouldnt allow much if any in. just thinkin, dont know for sure why it happened at all.oh well. took motorcycle for ride instead of bicycle. thanks for your input.
Never happened to me in 6 builds, but that is the normal fix.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have had this problem in 1 of my 7 builds. You dont have to drill the cap on top.

Look under the cap just outside of the gasket at the slightly raised metal area between the gasket and cap edge .
Drill a 1/16" hole in that area, with the bit right close to the gasket. Won't show and won't leak.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have had this problem in 1 of my 7 builds. You dont have to drill the cap on top.

Look under the cap just outside of the gasket at the slightly raised metal area between the gasket and cap edge .
Drill a 1/16" hole in that area, with the bit right close to the gasket. Won't show and won't leak.
There should already be a small hole there. If the cap was assembled correctly at the factory, that is.

The cap must vent or the tank will eventually reach a negative pressure inside. Just like the old finger-over-the-straw concept. When that happens the fuel will not flow out of the tank.

Tom

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Thanks for the info guys, Ive got exactly the same problem with my first build.
I have 4 tanks and 5 caps that are vented so well they generously disperse fuel onto my crotch, legs and shirt if I go over 20mph. I will have one in the mail for the exchange immediately. just give me your address and you can HAVE my free flowing well-vented tanks!! pm if necessary!

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Yup. I had that problem. I drilled a hole thru the top but recommend drilling hole under the lip as the guys have said earlier.