Another 1st timer with a Roller

GoldenMotor.com

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Practically stole the bike as I work at Wal-Mart and waited for them to roll it back and got my 10% off too. $72 was pretty good, I think.

Mine is a generic China powa kit from eBay. Black and slant head. I think I need more black. :grin:

Almost ready to fire it. Upgraded the engine bolts from SBP and a real spark plug wire from them while I was at it. Besides that it's pretty much just thrown together with a few little changes. Planning on ditching the Chikuni for a baby walbro in the near future, and a pipe.

One thing I've learned so far, which maybe everyone already knows. If you grind down the "locating tit" on the top half of the throttle cable casing, to just barely existent, you can put in a piece of inner tube and clamp it down nice and securely without drilling any hole in your bars. Nice if you later decide you want to do them differently, and easier to change out bars if you want to later on.

But for now, here it is.

sumdawgtwigg

Aug 9, 2008
SW VA
I've got the same bike, just put some hanger bars on it, much more comfy. The stock bars always slipped, no matter how much I tightened them.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
I've got the same bike, just put some hanger bars on it, much more comfy. The stock bars always slipped, no matter how much I tightened them.
I want to lower the seat MUCH more than I can now, so the bars will work a little better than they do as it sits. I want a hinged connection at the front of the seat and the back nearly sitting on the tire. little things that'll get done later on as I have time.

sumdawgtwigg

Aug 9, 2008
SW VA
I want to lower the seat MUCH more than I can now, so the bars will work a little better than they do as it sits. I want a hinged connection at the front of the seat and the back nearly sitting on the tire. little things that'll get done later on as I have time.
Yeah i've been thinking about sitting my seat over the rear wheel as well, think it would look great. Taken it for a ride yet?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Suggestion: Mount the engine to the seat tube then fabricate the front mount. If chain guard clearance is your issue simply raise the engine until it clears, then mount it there. Just make sure the front mount is centered so the engine isn't cocked off to either side.
Another point is to not mount the engine with rubber or some other resilient material between the engine and frame. Mount the engine solid to prevent future fastener/mount failures due to vibration. Oh, and pick up some more black paint :)
Tom

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
No rides yet. Still only mounted on one end. I have an idea for the mounts that will(in my head) allow chain tensioning, and isolate vibes from the frame. Overkill I'm sure, but easy and cheap to make. Have to wait and see what happens.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
No rides yet. Still only mounted on one end. I have an idea for the mounts that will(in my head) allow chain tensioning, and isolate vibes from the frame. Overkill I'm sure, but easy and cheap to make. Have to wait and see what happens.
please share what you've come up with :)

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Thought about it a little more today. It seems (still in my head now) that it will work. 99% sure of it. When I have a prototype, I'll post it up. Should be mid week next week. Maybe sooner. Probably not. :)

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Parts are in my hands. If anyone wants to brainstorm, they are as follows.

2 x 1 1/4" EMT conduit hangers
2 x 3/4" EMT threaded couplings
1 x tube of Polyurethane Roof and Flashing sealant (knock-off 3M Windoweld)
and some scrap sheet aluminum(steel would work just fine too)

Pictures asap.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
This is really weird. I couldn't wait to ride it, so I skipped doing the mounts today and just used a combo of things that came in the kit to do the normal solid mounts.

It fired right up and ran great, for about 4 miles. Shut if off to go get someone to chase me in a car to see how fast it was going, and now it won't start at all.

The bowl is filling as it should, the spark plug is the correct brown color, and it's getting compression too. So it's either the coil or CDI box, right?

That was short lived. :(

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Yep. Valve is on. Remember the bowl is filling as it should. It seems, from examination of everything else, that it is the coil or CDI. The coils aren't "great" on these, IIRC, so that's what I'm betting on. Sure was fun while it lasted. Much faster than I would have thought, and plenty of power for now. :)

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
I'm not really sure what anything you just said means besides Dellorto, but the carb was working fine. But then everything was working fine, so IDK.

I'll apply the multi meter tomorrow and see what's what.

So far I've drained the bowl twice to make sure it's filling, popped the head to check the cylinder wall and spark plug, and gone over all the bolts to ensure they're no leaks, and made sure the spark plug wire was in tight. The only thing left would seem to be the coil.

Last edited:

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
The carb is not letting fuel into the engine. I can push the primer button a few times and it'll run for a few seconds then quit.

The bowl is full and the jet is clear. What's going on here. I don't have a clue what to do now.

I've already tried moving the c clip down a notch. This had no effect. What would cause it to just stop running all of a sudden?

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
Haha. It was my fault. Wasted a whole day going over and over everything and then one little adjustment, and it's back. :)