motor making a loud whirring sound?

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
so yesterday i figured i'd take my bike out for a good break in run, 15.3 mile trip each way. on the way back the motor started making a really loud whirring sound and i would pull the clutch lever, hit the kill switch, give it a sec and start the motor again, and the problem would go away for a bit, little later it would do it again and i'd repeat.

this happened until i eventually hit a pot hole doing about 30 and got a flat roughly 28 miles into the trip.

i asked in the chat box and the advice was tighten up the clutch cable and if that didn't fix it tighten up the flower nut on the clutch gear itself. i did both of those and they're both as perfect as they can be as far as i can tell,as tight as they can be with out being too tight.

every time it happens i'm picking up speed in that sweet spot in the throttle.

anyone got any ideas?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Pull the RS engine cover off and check that you have enough clearance around the big gear. Sometimes they can rub. Also put some grease on those gears and keep that pin n ball behind the cover under clutch release arm nice and greezy.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Pull the RS engine cover off and check that you have enough clearance around the big gear. Sometimes they can rub. Also put some grease on those gears and keep that pin n ball behind the cover under clutch release arm nice and greezy.
nothing is rubbing in that panel that shouldn't be as far as i can tell, i dind't grease that pin and ball, i'll give a try later.