California Early Day Gas And Steam Museum

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The gas and steam engine museum in Vista is having their bi-annual show the next 2 weekends. If you've never been, it's well worth while. Especially for all of us DIY builders. Witness some amazing mechanisms that take power from an engine and transfer it to do many different things.
My gang is going this Sunday (Fathers Day). I've been a member since 1985, and I can't get enough. It's a great experience.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Antique-Gas-Steam-Engine-Museum-Inc/86617964827

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Cool. I lived in Orange County for about 5 years and didn't know about that museum. I will have to send the wife to the mall and see some early engines next time I'm in the Camp Pen area.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Here's a few pics from the museum yesterday.
Dan with a piston he wants to put in his Whizzer.

A nice running radial I want to use in a motor bike. Or maybe the inline 4 cylinder on the table.

This is a 30's Austin America roadster.

I don't know what kind of motorcycle this is, but it gave me a lot of ideas on rear suspension and fender brackets.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There were coil spring bikes, but leaf has attractions. I'd have set them much lower down though, to mount a pillion seat and/or panniers. From the point of view of simplicity, I'm surprised plungers weren't used more widely down the years, but that's just me.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Yeah, I've seen a pre-war roadmaster with truss forks that had coil springs, had a whizzer engine, very nice.